Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Suzuki King Quad 450??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008 | 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Suzuki King Quad 450??

I understand that you either work for Polaris, or own a lot of stock in the company, but there is no way of getting around the fact that connected front and rear brakes can be extremely dangerous. If you're rolling backward down a steep hill, you want ONLY front brakes. If you are descending a steep hill you want ONLY rear brakes. If you are hitting the wrong brake you should stick to flat, open fields until you learn how to ride. Take whatever you like, I'm just offering information to this guy so that he can make an informed decision, instead of just telling him to "buy brand 'X' because I said so."

Old 06-25-2008 | 09:22 PM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BradW

I understand that you either work for Polaris, or own a lot of stock in the company, but there is no way of getting around the fact that connected front and rear brakes can be extremely dangerous. If you're rolling backward down a steep hill, you want ONLY front brakes. If you are descending a steep hill you want ONLY rear brakes. If you are hitting the wrong brake you should stick to flat, open fields until you learn how to ride. Take whatever you like, I'm just offering information to this guy so that he can make an informed decision, instead of just telling him to "buy brand 'X' because I said so."</end quote></div>

I understand that you're a troll, or you just hate Polaris. I don't work for Polaris or own stock in the company and never have. As a matter of fact I don't work for anyone, or own stock in any company. I don't care what brand anyone buys, because I can't possibly profit on it in any way. Their decision should be based on facts, not scare tactics, i.e., "Don't buy Polaris because it can kill you". How is that an informed decision?

So when are you going to tell me how many people got killed by the dangerous brakes you keep talking about?

Old 06-25-2008 | 11:04 PM
|
Pro Rider

Tone it down guys. I think both ways are good braking systems but BradW has a point of the rolling down a hill thing, but another way is to break slowly and steadily with all the brakes, unless the hill is really steep. Then it's nice to have separate brakes. But I also like how you can apply all brakes at the same time with the single lever breaking system. I'm fine with the double brake levers since that's what I currently have and have no problems with them what so ever, except one time I went to squeeze my front brakes and the lever completely collapsed without the quad slowing down. I'm not sure if the hydraulic pressure was lost of what but it's a good thing a had a good rear brake.

Old 06-27-2008 | 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

Hills can be steep enough that engine braking doesn't work well enough, and you need to use both brakes. Whether you're stopped on your way up & have to back down, or coming down forward, you need to be on one harder than the other to control your speed. I rode a polaris once & had this problem on a hillclimb. Most of the braking was in the rear, so when I stopped, I had to stretch way over the front to keep the front end down and not grab too much brake while backing down. It was pretty hairy!

Old 06-27-2008 | 06:55 PM
Moto Psycho

My Polaris ATV has Active Decent Control, so it has engine braking on all 4 wheels. You don't need to use the brakes at all to stop on a hill. It will actually stop itself if you let off the gas. It doesn't matter what gear you're in, facing uphill or downhill. It doesn't matter how many brake levers there are because you don't even need to use them.

Old 06-27-2008 | 11:54 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Dont worry about the braking system,every ATV made or has been made can get down a hill,if you can,t maybe you should not be in the sport.

Old 06-28-2008 | 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

personality i like havening the choice of which brake to use and how much of each brake to use.