Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Gas Mileage

I am going to buy a ute, but I don't know which to buy, so I am looking for any help. Here are my (ok, my wife's) priorities for this purchase:
1. Gas mileage (so I can buy this it has to make economical sense to her)
2. Ability to ride two comfortabley (she will want to ride I am sure)
3. Storage
4. Power (I am a big guy 6'0 300lbs)
5. Cost (don't really want to go much more than 7k)

So, I want to know if a 2-up is the way to go to get the best gas mileage and have a passenger. The majority of the hours on this machine will just be a single rider however...so is a 2-up necessary. There won't be a whole lot of trail riding...more just street and around town. Now the whole thing I am thinking is that my wife loves this and we end up buying another for her...so I don't want to make any mistakes here. Any help would be very appreciative.

Coach

Old 07-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Gas Mileage

Tough call.

No doubt that riding double on any 2up will be more fuel efficient than any two ATV's for those same two people. So if your wife is happy with the occasional ride with you on the 2up, then that's the way to go. The thing is, for most it's more enjoyable to ride their own machine. So if she decides that she wants her own quad, now you have a 2up that may never see more than one rider.

However - There will be no significant milage difference between any 2up and it's comparable single seat model. The extra 50 pounds or so of most 2ups will effect milage the same as if you loaded extra weight on the single ATV's racks. Also, there are not too many performance differences between the 2ups and the singles. Sure, the 2ups don't turn as tight, but most are actually better on uphills due to the longer wheelbase. My brother has a 2up that has only seen one passenger on one ride and he is very happy with it as a single rider quad.

Overall gas milage will be directly related to engine size. Your bigger engines are going to burn more with the possible exception of a smaller (400cc to 500cc) 2up that carries two large people. Since you are 300 pounds by yourself, unless your wife is a petite 110 I'd be looking for something 600 cc or larger just to have decent performance while both of you are on board.

Jaybee

Old 07-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default Best Gas Mileage

Jaybee, what am I looking at for gas mileage with say a 500cc with just flat in town driving for the most part?
Coach

PS. I am looking hard at the Sportsman 500 EFI.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Best Gas Mileage

Just out of curiosity, why do you want a quad for driving mostly around town on pavement?

-Krait

Old 07-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer
Default Best Gas Mileage

Good question...my only answer is that it 'may' go on a trail at some point...but for the most part won't. What do you suggest Krait?

Coach

Old 07-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Best Gas Mileage

Hard to say. Since you are a big guy(no offense) I would say you'd want something with a bit more bite, at least a 500...but maybe a 650? You'll have to try to ride them yourself, and see what power levels satisfy you. For 2-up riding, the extended models can't be beat. But again, if it so happens you will be getting two, then the single models can be a bit more nimble...but the 2-ups provide a smoother ride and more stability even with one rider on board. Some ppl prefer the extended 2-up model even if they mostly use it for single riding, if just for the cargo capacity/extra comfort/stability.

My buddy bought himself a 2007 CanAm Outlander 650XT Max last year, and I gotta say it is very comfy to ride as a passenger compared to his Suzuki Twin Peaks 700 single rider/solid rear axle quad he had before. He got it so his wife would be more comfortable, altho now they are talking about buying a 400XT for her to ride. Go figure.

As I tell most ppl, try to test ride as many as you can. Ergonomics play a huge part in how comfortable you are on a quad, and only you will be able to say how much power is enough vs fuel economy. Obviously a 500 will be better for economy than a 650/700/800, but if you aren't happy with the power level, then I doubt the fuel economy would make up for the disatisfaction with power. Only you can decide that one.

-Krait

Old 07-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default Best Gas Mileage

Thanks Krait. I am certainly looking at least a 500 and am going to go test drive them some time this week. I don't think I will go the 2-up route however. I went and sat on a Sportsman 500 and my wife will easily be able to sit with me. She went on to mention that at some point she would like to have one because we have two kids (still very young) and we could take each one on our own atv. So, that is why I am leaning towards not going the 2-up route. But fuel economy is my most critical evaluation issue. Am I off base saying I could get 30-35 mpg with a 500? Because if that is the case I can literally pay for the atv with the money I save in gas every month filling up my Avalanche.

Coach

Old 07-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Best Gas Mileage

I really don't know fuel mileage numbers, but 30-35mpg seems a bit high even for a 500...not sure on that one tho. Depends how hard you are on the throttle. Hopefully someone with more 'fuel economy experience' can chime in and fill you in better. I really couldn't say.

-Krait

Old 07-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Gas Mileage

Fuel mileage is really hard to figure on ATV's - there was another thread here recently that debated it all over the map. For riding on smooth pavement most of the time, you should get about as good mileage as possible. 30 to 35 is probably possible with all moderate speed smooth road riding but if you get on it at all or hit lots of hills then it will most likely stay somewhere south of 30. To put it into perspectrive, my Can-Am Outlander 800 averages 20 mpg at moderate speeds on trails and 25 mpg on smooth hardpack. Also, just FYI, my brothers AC 700 TRV gets exactly the same mileage as my Outy. In the same conditions, my 376cc Eiger will get 5 mpg's more than the Outlander. I'm 6-2 and about 215.

Jaybee

Old 07-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default Best Gas Mileage

Thanks Jaybee, I appreciate your input. Again, I am leaning toward a 500, and not the 2-up route. Does anyone know if it is legal to have my wife with me in town if it is not a 2-up...I am not going to get pulled over am I? Also, am I going to have to get my drivers license endorsed for a motorcycle? Is there a state website available to know the rules and regs?

Coach

Edit...Found out I do not have to have an endorsement to ride an atv in my state.

Quick Reply: Best Gas Mileage