Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need advice for beginner on buying first quad!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice for beginner on buying first quad!

Okay, so I have never ridden an ATV in my life, however I've been on a couple crotch rockets a few times so am fairly familiar with the clutch setup. I've decided motorcycles are too dangerous for my liking so I have turned to buying an ATV for a fun hobby instead. I have been looking primarily at the TRX400ex, LTZ400, and the YFZ450. I'm 19, 5"10 170lbs. Since I'm just starting out, I don't know if I'm going to be trail riding, dunes, etc. which is why I'm looking for the best quad for different types of riding. I don't need anything insanely fast, but I still like the 450 because I keep hearing how much of a superior quad it is compared to the Z and 400ex. I've searched the forum, but only found results dating back a few years ago. I'm looking for a newer ATV mostly 06 on up and looking to spend around 5k. Thanks in advance for all help!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

welcome to the forums.... any of the 450s are great machines the suzuki ltz450, the honda 450r the yfz 450... all the machines you listed would be fine for trails or dunes. the 400ex has prolly the least power out of the 3 machines you listed but is still an all around great quad especially for trail riding. craigslist is usually a great place to find some really sweet deals, esp in the current economy people are trying to unload them to get cash as quickly as possible.
good luck with whatever you chose

Old 03-20-2009, 06:01 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: KansasKid

Okay, so I have never ridden an ATV in my life, however I've been on a couple crotch rockets a few times so am fairly familiar with the clutch setup. I've decided motorcycles are too dangerous for my liking so I have turned to buying an ATV for a fun hobby instead. I have been looking primarily at the TRX400ex, LTZ400, and the YFZ450. I'm 19, 5"10 170lbs. Since I'm just starting out, I don't know if I'm going to be trail riding, dunes, etc. which is why I'm looking for the best quad for different types of riding. I don't need anything insanely fast, but I still like the 450 because I keep hearing how much of a superior quad it is compared to the Z and 400ex. I've searched the forum, but only found results dating back a few years ago. I'm looking for a newer ATV mostly 06 on up and looking to spend around 5k. Thanks in advance for all help!</end quote></div>

Not the case at all! If you want a machine that will run forever with just basic manintenance, then that will be one of the 400's! These are the best "trail" quads, and are also the best "all-around" machines. They are of course slower in open country than a 450, but you did say that you don't need anything insanely fast, didn't you? While I don't particularly like the Raptor 700 myself, some would include it in the "all-arounder" category.

The 450 "thumpers" have a whole different type of engine! They use Formula 1 technology, like thin little slipper pistons with fewer rings, to milk the most horsepower per cc from the engine (most favorable power/weight ratio). They are all very light machines, and are the true "do more with less" quads. These engines are all rev! They make their power way up in the rpm range, and that makes them superb for fast more open trails, and wide open country. On a tight trail however, they require a lot of clutch slipping, which gets old really fast!

The 450 engines tolerate a lot of compression blow-by. This means that the oil gets rapidly diluted out with fuel! So, you need to do frequent oil changes, and it is best to run a high quality synthetic oil! If keeping up on maintenance is an problem for you, then maybe pass these up.

Good article on 450 engines: http://www.belray.com/scripts/...4380-99ed-f76339781d06

Old 03-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

Another downside of the 450's, in my opinion, is their lack of reverse (Except the KFX 450R, that one has reverse). Not sure how important reverse is to you, but to me its very important. I've heard good things about the new 09 Z-400s and a big plus with them is the fuel injection. I believe they are the only 400 with it.

Also, if you have $5K to blow, go for new. The deals are out there at the dealers. Get them to compete and you will win big. Going new takes out all the guess work of buying a used vehicle.

You really can't go wrong with any of the new 400s. And as reconranger said, the Raptor 700 might be a good option too.

So, if I were you, I would start by looking at the Z-400, 400EX, and Raptor 700R.

Whatever you do, lets us know which one you get and post up some pics!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm leaning more towards the z400 right now. As for the Raptor 700, wouldn't that be quite a big step up from a z400? Again, I hardley know anything about atv's but don't want to go with something too advanced just yet. Does the 700 require a lot of matienence like the 450s? What about a raptor 660? Could someone give a few pros and cons between the 660/700 vs the z400? Thanks again guys the advice has been most helpful!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

With the Raptor 700, you're probably looking at more like a 450's level of power (being a little on the higher side), with the reliability of the 400s. The Raptor 700 is fuel injected as well which takes away all of the headaches that carbs can present.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Welcome! My sujestion as to a person new to Quads is to buy something that will last, that being the 400 or 700 class quads. As what has been said either 400 will work allong with the 700 Raptor. If you find a good deal on Kawasaki 700 KFX I would even take a good look at it. If you are going to buy new stick with the Raptor or the Z400 and don't think twice about it you will be grinning from ear to ear for many years to come!

Trending Topics

Old 03-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Basically the 400's are best for tight, technical, small trails. I think the YFZ450 is the most versatile - lots of modifications are available. When you begin riding, you can modify it to work best in any condition! It's like a blank canvas.

The raptor is good for trails as well, but it is not as versatile as the YFZ.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: KansasKid

I'm leaning more towards the z400 right now. As for the Raptor 700, wouldn't that be quite a big step up from a z400? Again, I hardley know anything about atv's but don't want to go with something too advanced just yet. Does the 700 require a lot of matienence like the 450s? What about a raptor 660? Could someone give a few pros and cons between the 660/700 vs the z400? Thanks again guys the advice has been most helpful!</end quote></div>

First off, avoid the Raptor 660. It is narrow and carries its weight high up in the frame, and is rather tippy. They improved the Raptor 700 in some ways, although they still insist on putting that radiator way up high in the frame.

The 700 is a torque monster for sure, but has nothing else that is remarkable compared to the Z400. If you can get the new fuel injected 09 Z400, that's the way to go!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

A raptor 700 with FI is an excellent choice, you will best the 450's in many ways, the most important being the reliability and durability. A good rider on a Rappy will best an average rider on 450. Yamaha reliability is beyond reproach as well. Go with something that has a reverse as well, you will not regret that one for sure. I know that the KFX 700 is a good running machine but they are physically large which will limit you in tight trails. I think that all of the machines that you mentioned are good machines, and ultimately you will have to decide which works best for you. You will find tons of valuable information right here and be able to capitalize on the people right here giving you advice that will save you money and spare you the trial and error that they have gone through. Good luck with whatever you decide, and Welcome.