Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Texas title question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas title question

Hi i am new to the ATV scence and this forum. Recently got a Yamaha Raptor 350 from a seller in Texas. He gave me a title that he signed and dated. He also, gave me a hand written bill of sale. My question. Should i get the title transfered under my name or should i leave it under his name ? Does it matter whose name the title is under as long as i have pocession of the title ? If i was to transfer it, is there any link to that. I went to the DMV website and couldnt find any specifics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Old 03-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Trailblazer

You should be able to transfer the title at the same place you get tags for your car or truck. If they cannot do it there you have to go to the closest texas parks and wildlife office. You dont need to trasfer the title, but of you plan on going to any state venue it will need to be in your name and you have to get an ohv sticker.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Once he dated the title you have a certain amount of time to register in your name before a penalty charge along with transfer fees. At least down here it is. If you're out of state,could be different.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Don,t lose the paper work because if the police ever ran the serial numbers to find out who its registed to find out the owner that owner will not be you.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Don,t lose the paper work because if the police ever ran the serial numbers to find out who its registed to find out the owner that owner will not be you.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

went to the county registration office. Im in Texas BTW. For $34.00 they transfered the title under my name. No tax paid as its off road vehicle and there is not tax involved in the transfer. Feels good to have the title under my name.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer

Nice, im going to take my paperwork down soon.
What part of texas are you in? and have you been to hidden falls adventure park in marble falls?

Old 03-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Reaper9789
What part of texas are you in? and have you been to hidden falls adventure park in marble falls?
im in the plano frisco are just north of DFW. I have not been there yet but ive heard a lot about it from my Tacomaworld buddies who go there wheeling often in their Tacomas. I do not have a 4x4 tacoma and dont like to wheel with it which is why got the quad to go with them. I would like to go if there was a meet.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer

I really want to go, but not sure if my 2wd quads can hang, or if my 6 year old daughter can hang haha.

I live about an hour south of the park, so im pretty close to it. once i get a 4x4 quad im definitely going.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Trust, But Verify

Originally Posted by Reaper9789
I have been their multiple times. Me and a buddy try to meet up their at least once every three months. The park is awesome, I always meet some good people and have a blast every time I go. Want anymore details just ask. I am wanting to go out there for the day on mothers day weekend. Hope to see you out there.

Quick Reply: Texas title question