Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What size quad for a 6 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most used atvs have a negotiable price. If the seller knows you're really serious and they're motivated to sell, you can usually talk them down a bit. My King Quad 750 I most recently bought from a local dealer I was able to get them to discount $500 off the advertised price, for example. The advantage of buying from a private seller is that you eliminate a lot of the dealer's fees. No tax either and generally you never have to actually transfer the title either unless you trade it in to a dealer the next time. Generally the previous owner simply signs the title and doesn't date it so you can leave it like that if you simply sell it privately yourself in the future.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Most used atvs have a negotiable price. If the seller knows you're really serious and they're motivated to sell, you can usually talk them down a bit. My King Quad 750 I most recently bought from a local dealer I was able to get them to discount $500 off the advertised price, for example. The advantage of buying from a private seller is that you eliminate a lot of the dealer's fees. No tax either and generally you never have to actually transfer the title either unless you trade it in to a dealer the next time. Generally the previous owner simply signs the title and doesn't date it so you can leave it like that if you simply sell it privately yourself in the future.
Well, in general, I would agree with you. However, I have been looking, calling, and emailing and texting multiple possible quads for my son the last few weeks. What I have found is that first, not too many of these youth quads are out there. I'm gonna be doing some long driving when I do find one. And two, people know there are not many out there and they are not budging much on the price. Over half I have spoken to are firm on their asking price no matter how long they have had them for sale. The MOST I have talked one guy down was $200 from his original asking price. So, getting them for cheaper than asking price by bargaining with them has not been my experience in general, at least on the units I have been looking at which are mainly the Raptor 90, the Outlaw 90 and the Suzuki 90.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It finally gets to the point that when you find something you like and its close to the price you want, you end up buying it. At least that's what I do. The effort and time to find something a little less expensive just isn't worth it. Its not even so much the money spent in gas, its the time spent looking for something else. It finally gets to the point you just want to get it home so the search can be over.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:40 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by greg74
It finally gets to the point that when you find something you like and its close to the price you want, you end up buying it. At least that's what I do. The effort and time to find something a little less expensive just isn't worth it. Its not even so much the money spent in gas, its the time spent looking for something else. It finally gets to the point you just want to get it home so the search can be over.
I will pay more for something that is more what I am looking and I have more confidence in from the seller. I was going to spend near my max budget on a blue Raptor 90. But it was 4.5 hours away and the guy didn't speak English well. He advertised it as a 2012 but then I noticed in one of his pictures of the title that it said it was a 2009. Now, I didn't care what year it was, I was just more concerned he was falsely advertising it. I brought this to his attention and he didn't reply. All he would have needed to say was "oh, I'm sorry, that was my mistake, it is a 2009 unit". Anyway, I didn't want to spend half the day driving to perhaps find something else going on with it that I may or may not have been informed properly about.

Instead I am going to go with a Polaris Outlaw 90. It's not the color I want, but it is closer, cheaper, and I have had good communication with the seller. It seems it was recently serviced also, so hopefully there will be no suprizes as it's still going to be a 2.5 hour drive to get it.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds good.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Country Rider

I would say you get a 90cc. He will keep growing fast and a 90cc would provide a good size. If you really fell like the 90 is to much power for him, I know you can limit the throttle

Good luck

Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Range Rover

Thanks everyone. I got him a Polaris Outlaw 90cc.