Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New to ATV's;looking for general opionions on pricing in my area

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ATV's;looking for general opionions on pricing in my area

Hi All, new to the forum and new to purchasing an ATV. Ive got kids who are looking to start riding and I wouldn't mind a fun little toy around the yard to mess with. Problem is I have no idea as to what I should be expecting to spend. I am somewhat handy but no mechanic, that said, I am fine with a fixer upper at the right price (as is the rest of the world in my area apparently since anything broken sells incredible fast). If ya'll could just give me opinions on the below bikes and help me guage what is fair that would be great. I understand you don't know the condition of them but I will explain the best I can. these are a few available options

Suzuki lt80 2005 - runs then shuts off when coming to a stop, is how the lister explains it. bike is in fair condition, doesn't appear to have been garaged but plastics look good. wheels have some rust. wants $750
suzuki lt80 2005 - running fine, appears to be in good shape, has a cracked plastic fender, appears to have been garaged. asking $1200. is that fair? seems a bit high to me but thats why im here what would you offer?
03 eton viper 90 - runs fine, appears to be in good shape, possibly garaged. asking $800
04ish eton viper 150 - not running, sat for two years outside, not in the greatest shape IMO. asking $650. where would you feel comfortable here for a number? i don't like 650 but I have first dibs to look at it tomorrow, so I may offer something.
05 raptor 90 - bike looks clean, seems to have been garaged, wheels could use a painting, some decals arent in great shape. asking $1300

sorry for the long post, thanks in advance!!

Old 04-19-2020, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Gonna be difficult finding parts for all of them!! I wouls pass on all of them if it were me. Find something in good working order, test drive and keep it running by taking care of it.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Gonna be difficult finding parts for all of them!! I wouls pass on all of them if it were me. Find something in good working order, test drive and keep it running by taking care of it.
thanks for responding. Would you be in on any of them at a better price. The running lt80 is in good shape, would 900 be a fair offer? Also, any recommendation on an older bike I should look at in terms of available parts? Would like to stay under or close to 1k. Honda’s have been nonexistent for 90’s around here. I saw one old one for $1400 and didn’t last long. There’s also a can-am ds 70 2008 for 1100. From what I’ve read they’re super slow and need some mods to make them run quicker.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

Also the broken lt80 and running viper sold since writing this post so they’re out anyway.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The broken ones are picked up for spare parts....prices will be different in different parts of the country. All just what people are willing to pay..
Getting a machine in good shape and runs good means it was probably taken care of, getting one that doesnt work will cost $ and lots of headaches.
This forum is filled with parents trying to find parts for oddball or outdated machines with there kids quite upset in the background because they cant use there atv. Get something in good condition and have fun, fixing and trying to repair all the time gets old real quick! Expand your search area, a couple hr drive might be well worth it and gas is cheap right now. .parts arent !!

Old 04-19-2020, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

Fair enough, thanks Kymco! Here’s to hoping I pick a winner.