Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Rancher or Eiger or AC 375?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at getting a new machine. It would be a 2wd because I really have no need for a 4wd on the trails I ride. What I'm looking for though is a machine that can handle my 6'2" 240lb frame and is under $4500. I ride a lot of LONG trail rides, I want something that I can ride a little fast on in the woods at times, plus have good comfort for just cruising. From the little shopping around I like the Eiger, it has a bigger feel then the Rancher. The Rancher is a little lighter though. I just test drove the Artic Cat and was surprised with the suspension on it. Anyways, I'm pretty undecided, so if anyone has any personal experence with these machines let me know what you think. Thanks

Old 02-22-2002, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

The 2X4 Rancher is a kick to ride. One magazine compared its "point and shoot" handling to the 300EX, and I would agree. I can even bust out some pretty good air on it! It is fast for a medium size utility. You'll have to decide if it is to small for you though.

Old 02-22-2002, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

The only machine I can vouch for of the 3 is thge AC375. I've "heard" the Honda's can be a pain in a long ride but have great reliability. I know nothing about the Eiger except that it's stat's don't quite compair to the cats.

The 375 is a very comfortable machine for a long ride, and has an excellent suspension. It is not fast, however. It'll top out at about 53, but climbs to that point rather slowly once you pass the 45mph mark. I'm the same height as you and a little weightier and the 375 handles me just fine. Feels comfortable too. If it came with a manual transmission, I'd have bought one myself. Instead I opted for the nearly identical 400.

I don't really think you could go wrong with any of the machines, but they're not really the same. If speed weighs in over comfort, go with the Honda. The Eiger is lighter, probably faster, and may look a little nicer than the 375. The 375 is tough and comfortable, choose it if you plan to be in the saddle a long time.

Old 02-22-2002, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

Pechmial- the only thing that bugs me about the 375 is its weight. At over 600lbs, thats a lot for a 2wd drive. I'm sure this won't be a concern on the trail, but in the mud that I do ride in, it might be a little bit to much to push out if it does lead to that. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the extra weight will help carry it through the mud. Like I said before, my bayou 220 has gotten me though most of the mud, but I have had to pushed it out a few times when I got a little daring, but I drove right in the middle with the bayou because it is so light I didn't worry about getting stuck. Let me know what you think about the weight issue.

Old 02-22-2002, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

My brother's is the 4wd, so we have the extra oomph in the mud. We also have a winch on both the 375 and my 400, so we don't need to push. The only way to answer this is to ask you what kind of mud you drive through. The weight will help as long as the tires can make firm contact with the bottom but only to a point. 'Course, when you get to that point you will be stuck no matter what you're riding. I don't think the engine will have any problem pushing it, though. My brother's 4wd is about 650lbs and it moves rather well (for a cat).

Honestly, I'd consider getting the 4x4, if I was thinking of the cat. You may find you don't need it most of the time, but it's sure nice in a pinch. At the very least, I'd consider the winch.

It will be a HUGE difference from that Bayou, though, make no mistake about that.

Look in my photo album, under "atv's" and then under "red top" to see a pict of my brother on his 375 in water and mud over the wheels. We winched it out of that one, but the thing never quit running.

Old 02-22-2002, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the 375 and it is great. I don't know about the other two machines. Since I'm only 14 and 125 lbs it has more than enough power. I imagine that it would be able to handle you and then some. I would lean towards the 4x4 even though it is alittle more expensive it is well worth it. If you get the 2x4 you will most likely have to get new tires for the mud so you might as well just spree for the 4x4 in the first place. The suspension is great and it has good ground clearance. It should be fast enough through the trails. It has great engine braking and almost no need for breaks going down a hill. I have only been able to drive mine in the snow and alittle mud so far and it has done great. The weight of arctic cats is due to how they are built. They are built very heavy duty and are made for work. If you decide to go with the 375 you will be very happy. Check out my pics also.