Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Okay Kodiak 400 auto. or Artic Cat 375 auto??? Give me the scoop!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 04:38 PM
Ami
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going in and out of all directions. Here's the deal, I just found Yamaha in my town and there is Artic Cat. I've narrowed it down to the Artic Cat 375 auto or the Yamaha 400 Kodiak auto. I want to get something I don't have to drive 4 hours to get worked on. Polaris is now out of the pic. It's too big compared to Artic Cat. A 375 or 400 is where I want to be. Does the Kodiak have independent rear susp??? Also what do you guys think? Tell me all you opinions, I'm all ears. Thanks! Ami

Old 03-31-2002, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

These two machines really aren't even in the same class.

The 375 has the ACT rear suspension. This is nearly as good as independant. I've ridden both this machine and the "i" models and can't tell the difference. The 375 is a very solid machine and should handle whatever you dish out to it. In my opinion, it's more comfortable to ride than the Kodiak, it's sturdier, and probably has more torque.

The Kodiak, on the other hand, has a swing arm rear suspension. It's also lighter and sportier. I've had the opportunity to ride one several times and it's a fun machine to cruise around on.

What it will boil down to is your riding style. Do you prefer racing through the woods, doing an occasional jump or two, and don't expect to do a lot of long rides? If so, the Kodiak is probably the machine for you. Do you expect to do a lot of rock crawling, slow technical riding and spend all day in the saddle? Then go for the 375. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Old 03-31-2002, 11:17 PM
Ami
Trailblazer

Based on what your telling me the Artic Cat is more my style. I want to climb mountains, rocks, easy riding, no hot *******. I want something sturdy and reliable. I can't hike because of a horrid knee injury and I love to be in the mountains so I was thinking this would be good for me. The noise sort of bothers me but I can get use to it. I love to be outside! Thanks your response helped me a lot! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2002, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

I would go for the Kodiak without even thinking. My neighbor is an AC dealer, and could get me a 375 for dealers price. After test driving the 375, the $1500 cheaper AC didnt look like much of a deal. I have taken my Kodiak into water over the lights, and had no problems. It has more power than my friends 500 Rubicon. I personally prefer swingarm over AC suspension because I like to jump. My nieghbor and I went to some hills, and he couldnt make it over some of the hills that I could. Kodiaks rule. There is not one thing I like better on the 375 over the Kodiak.

Old 04-02-2002, 02:31 AM
Ami
Trailblazer

Hmmmmm. You're the first big Kodiak fan I've met! I am soooooo confused. I will say that whichever I need the most dependable for rock, mountain climbing. My goal is to get up in the mountains and not kill myself in the process. I use to be a bit risky but life experience had to whip me a little so I'd cool out. Thanks for your comments. All input helps to make the decisions tougher! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]I do want as much honest opinions from people's views as I can get.

Old 04-02-2002, 02:59 PM
Range Rover

From a maintenance perspective the AC auto constant velocity belt wins hands down. It is a new concept, but the belt stay in motion all the time and does not get jerked on and off as the other autos belts do. This greatly increase the life of the belt. All of the reviews have given this new constant velocity belt the highest avaible ratings. As far as hill climbing and mountains, I would go with the AC hands down. Most people who get and AC will not go with any other bike and a lot of loyal Honda fans are starting to make the switch to ACs! AC must be doing soemthing right for them to have captured such a large ATV maket share so fast and keep the customres coming back!

Old 04-02-2002, 05:23 PM
Ami
Trailblazer

Thanks Mountain Cat. This helps. I'm still leaning this way also. I have heard alot from people who have em and love em.

Old 04-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Ami....if you look at the replies, the arctic cat owners are telling you to go with the AC and the yamaha owners tell you to go with the Kodiak...you have it narrowed down to these 2 machines, so maybe you would appreciate an objective opinion from a honda owner.....get the kodiak....when i bought my rancher, i researched the AC's the polaris's kawi, suzi, and i think that's about it...and i rode them all....my second 2 choices were both yamaha's.....the big bear and the kodiak...for various reasons, reliability being at the top.

Old 04-06-2002, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Go w/ the Kodiak, mines been excellent. It's great on steep hills going up and more importantly, down, due to the excellent engine brake in rear and FRONT wheels. Does the engine sit toward the rear on the AC like most of them do?? The engine, center of gravity, etc. is right where it should be on a Yamaha, very well balanced.