CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Anyone good with Electrical/Nitrous need help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone good with Electrical/Nitrous need help.

Ok, I got some problems with my nitrous system and I need some help. For some reason my solenoids aren't working, I hooked them straight up to the battery, and they both work, but they don't work when they are hooked up. They have a good ground. Here's the deal..... I have checked everything out, the button works, all connections are good, and power is getting to the relay. The only thing I can think of is that the realy is bad, so I went ahead and ordered a new one, it was only like $12 bucks. Anyone got any other ideas why the solenoids wouldn't open?

Old 08-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

most relays make a click sound when activated. you should be able to hear the click. if no click, check that the relay is wired correctly. you can also use a cheap 12V tester (bulb) at the relay output to see that 12V to the relay is switching on/off.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

It does not click, I have one of those lights, and when I touch the light to the relay, then hit the button, the light comes on. The relay is hooked up like this, there is 4 wires, red, black, green, white. Red goes to the button, white is grounded, black is to positive side of battery, and green goes to positive on both solenoids.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the relay should have 2 wires/terminals that connect internally to the coil. to energize the coil, 12V needs to be applied. sounds like you have one of these wires (white) grounded and the other wire (red) goes to a switch that connects 12V. the relay should have 2 more wires/terminals that are normally open circuit. when the relay is energized these two wires are connected internally to the relay. so if you have the (black) wire tied directly to the battery, when energized 12V should appear on the (green) wire to the solenoids.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, I think I understood what you were saying. All of that is right, when the relay is activated, and I touch the light to the green wire, the light comes on, so the relay does work, but the solenoids don't open.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

exactly how are the solenoids grounded? to the frame? did you file away the paint to get a good connection? if you put the light on the green wire and the light ground lead on the solenoid ground does it light up when you press the button?

is the gauge of the 12V and ground wires being used for the soleniod and relay thick enough to supply the large current without causing a volltage drop? i.e. 22 gauge should not be used.