CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

TM45 vs. 46HV??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TM45 vs. 46HV??

Which do you think is better?Is there anything you'd need to buy to use it? How is the thumb pull? What is the price? Has anyone switched from one to the other? srry for all the questions guys

Old 08-10-2003, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default TM45 vs. 46HV??

Thumb pull is probably bad on both, the TM45 being the worst..(Even worse than worst with the Heavy spring for use with Accel pump...but use Hightower's trick and you'll have no problems). The TM45 has easily tunable circuits and MANY people have them...so knowledge is infinite on these forums. The lectron I hear is pretty much the same in performance....but is harder to tune...but has no flat-spot on the bottom (45 has none either with pump setup right)...with a bunch of gimmicks I don't remember about.

The fit and finish on the Mikuni is way better. Lectron looks like a turd [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. You may have some problems with hooking up the throttle cable but that's a 1-time thing. I recommended a ported intake manifold for both carbs....Even better if it's matched to your head...

The lectron has a plastic bowl and stuff...so it's a good Alky carb, although I haven't heard of the performance of the 46HV on alcohol. But everybody knows the 45 on alcohol is shweet.

Both will gave a huge performance gain over stock [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Pick whatever tickles your pickle.

Jeff

Old 08-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default TM45 vs. 46HV??

I have run the Lectron and the TM. The TM I was never happy with when I would trail ride. I could not get the thumb throttle to work like I thought it should. I was happy with the performance of it, but not happy with the thumb throttle. The perfomance of the TM was great, and if I could get use to a twist, I would probably still have that carb.

The lectrons, I really like!!! The ease of the thumb throttle is great. The tuneing of the lectron is easy once you get use to how they tune. If you purchase it through a knowlegdible dealer, it will be set up within a turn of the needle. I have delt with Fast-by-Gast, and was not happy with them.

If I was to recommend a carb, I would recommend the lectron High Velocity over the TM, but, this is only my opinion. I know of others that have used the straight lectrons and were not happy with them. I use a straight 48mm lectron on my drag bike, and love it. I have a HV on my trail bike and love it. I have sold my TM's and wont go back to them.

DuneDevil

Old 08-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default TM45 vs. 46HV??

if you use the stock thumb throttle cable the 45 is somewhat easy to use, i'm not having any problems at least, but my son was riding my ds, and he just up and stopped and was sitting there thought he was waiting on his mom and sister, finally after a long time i went back to check on him and get there and ask what up he starts out with how do you ride this thing? said his thumb was killing him.