CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Front Sand Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Sand Tires

Its a riding area in Genoa Ne. Its called headworks,quiet Tyre, Its pretty decent size. its north west of Lincoln.
The Ne off hwy vehicle ***. have a Jamboree twice a year. nohva.com The web site doesn't show much of it at all but does have some info.

Old 08-21-2003, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Sand Tires

Originally posted by: marrtoo
Its called headworks,quiet Tyre, Its pretty decent size.

lol...

Old 08-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Sand Tires

Originally posted by: BajaIowa
So if I understand you guys right dirt tires don't provide the control and don't float as well. ~snip~ Also, is there as much difference in front tires as there is in rear tires? BajaIowa
I've got to pipe in here and give my two cents.
Not that you need it... it's all personal opinion and preference.

My personal opinion and preference is based on my riding in Glamis and the local smaller dunes here by San Diego. Glamis being the number one spot... for any dune riding. Some background on me.... I've ridden dirt bikes since I was an embryo. First with my mom, then on my dad's gas tank, then to the buddy seat on the rear of my dad's bike... then to my own bike. An MX60, 80, 125... on up to 250 and eventually a CR500. I've ridden quads since about 1989. Owning banshee's mostly. And now my beloved DS.

What I gather in dunes is a few things. You want speed... but knobbies will get you there just as well. Paddles on the other hand get you there NOW! But they also take from your top end. They require more power to turn...etc. So rear paddles are a huge decision maker.... I ran Sand Skates on my Banshee because they were really low cut paddles (NOT sand skate IIs!). Now on the Bomb... I run a Sand Skate II. More aggressive deeper paddle. I don't drag... so I don't care about using "Haulers" as I think they are good for that... however the IIs allow great turning and forward push. But they do require the grunt of the engine to push them. Like the Sand Skates on the Banshee allowed the bike to rev higher, spinning the paddle more but utilizing the power band more efficiently. A Sand Skate II on my banshee would have been horrible. But the Bomb has all that torque. And IIs work great for my needs anyway. I also loved riding the Bomb at Glamis with stock knobbies.... yes knobbies!! It allowed me to go almost as fast through the dunes, pull a higher top speed (using the same gearing), and slide throwing a mean roost over the top of the dunes!!! The bad part was to get going from a dead stop... well, somewhat frusterating. But not bad. I jsut started in second with more throttle!

Now to the fronts....
I can't stand Razors or any "ridged" front tire. I used them for years on my Banshee.... and ya know... I finally realized why I kept turning into a turn to sharply. The damn tires...!! I switched back to the knobbies... and had a great time. We ride mostly at high speed, not as technical as low speed duning. So I don't like the sharpness a ridged front gives when turning. But again... that's my personal preference. I won't ever buy a set of front "Razors" or any style of ridged front tires. You really don't need them... unless your racing in sand alone. Even with the weight of the bomb... it does just fine with stock or my ITPs on the front. AS LONG AS THEY'RE NOT BALDIES!!! Bald tires don't count! They wouldn't work too well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Let me give you an example;
I'm 6'2" and 200lbs. A good rider I'd like to think. My buddy... he's 6'6" and 270lbs. My Bomb, with paddles and him with knobbies. (He's as good on a quad as I)... I couldn't shake him. He was right there all through the dunes. Now, me chasin' him.... it was a little different. I couldn't pass him... but I was right on his ***. There just wasn't enough power to pass. We were both going too fast to pull a pass no matter who was in front.

So you see... it all depends on what your doing.
If your a DRAG RACER.... then paddles, gearing, motor.... it all plays a HUUUUGE part.
But I'm not a drag racer... and don't care to be. So my opinion would be null if you were after that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I hope this long winded hurricane of a note helps!!

Old 08-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Sand Tires

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am now sure I don't know what to do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. At least now I have some reasons why people run different tires. Thanks again.

BajaIowa