CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

WARNING!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!

i'd look at the invoice for the carrillo rod charge and then see if you can idenify the rod in there as a raptor rod. the more i hear about this the more i think this is just a pure case of a jerk, as a consumer you have a pure trust that a shop will do what they tell you, not many can sit there and bird dog a shop, not that they will even let. well i'll bring some extra beer mario, at least we can all complain together. so it seems there are three working samcoe engine on line here, your 720, which was actually put together by samcoed, seems he might be one of the best, i know i've got some great info from the guy. majorecho, i've heard he is great with engines, and needed to be since he had to dail it in, and quadloco and i was new when he was doing his engine and that was along process. well i hope this all works out for you guys, i know the question has come up which kit is better, the 680 to 720 isn't a major issue it's a bore, seems the twostrokers do it all the time, pistons hitting the head, poor design on someones part. well i'll stop now, but maybe sam should call gary and ask why he has clay in his tool box, and i can tell you it wasn't so my kids would have some thing to do while he worked my engine.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

How much horsepower was the 680 and the 720 supposed to put out?

Old 08-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said ANNIHILATER ... I wish you luck (not that you need it).
I hope you get what's needed here... ya know, the satisfaction of burdening. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I live close to SamCoe.... ever need me to drop a note by, and say Hi to Sam... you let me know. Not that I wouldn't chew the fat with him... but it'd be interesting to hand him a subpeona and then ask... "So how's business going anyway?!" LOL!

I called over there about a month ago. I spoke to the receptionist... and asked about fixing my XR. She said... "what cc is it?"... and "what's wrong with it?". I thought to myself... I just want to talk to Sam. Not some dingy broad. Well... I told her I had "other" things to talk to him about... and to please have him return my call. I NEVER got that call. So I made one more attempt. And still... no return call. Oh well.... good thing I read this post like I said. Now... I'll go somewhere else. Like Baja Designs where I know they do quality work and TEX knows his stuff.

Peace out!!

Old 08-22-2003, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Mario, I never stated that my motor went together w/o a hitch. The main issue I had with the kit was the head/ piston clearance issues. As soon as I realized I had issues I called Sam and explained the situation so he could rectify it in kits he would sell later on. The next group of people I told ( in detail) were the forum members- my comments are still available if you do a search- that is why we are here, we look out for each other we share our highs and our lows and everything in between. I have received a great deal of help from the members here and I try to share when I have something I feel is worthwhile. Azsand gave me a head gasket for my 103 bore at 4SW, Jeff
has contributed to my bike, DemonDs has contributed to my bike and others who know who they are. Big thanks to all of them. But the one thing that I really value this forum for is that most of the time you can find the truth of a matter amongst the many opinions. It doesn't matter if the question is motors or about life- people try to keep what they post here accurate so a well balanced picture can be seen.
I had a good experiance with Samcoe, he didn't build the motor for me but the parts he supplied are good parts and have run the hell out of them, I'd recommend them to anyone that wanted to do their own work. I don't trust most mechanics cuz I've been taken advantage of in the past. I am just contributing to a well balanced picture here with my honest experiance.
Please don't exagerate my comments for your own purposes it tends to distort everything else you say.

Old 08-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Originally posted by: Majorecho
Mario , I think your gonna have a tough nut to crack seeing you opened the cases, you'd have been better off to take him to court and opening it there with another mechanic to verify Sam's finding. I hope you can find a resolution to the situation , it really bites!

Just for the record, Sam delivered everything he promised me and I had a good experiance with him and love how my machine runs. His R&D has something to be desired but it's a shame with as few builders as there are for the DS that there is such a disproportionate number of problems - it's just knutz!!!

MAJOR, you did not specify to ME if he sent you a whole motor or not, you said he sent you everthing he promised and that you loved the way your machine runs, if i took that as him sending you a whole motor thats because thats the way it sounded to me, my bad, but dont tell me i am exagerating your reply, thats just the way it sounded to you...either way alls i know is that my motor is worthless and i am out a ton of money, it is great that you have a good running machine i just dont know the exact details of your dealings with him...

when everybody had problems with knutz it was talked about on these forums also to prevent anyone else to go through the headache that another has...i just find it hard to believe that it is so hard to get a modded ds to run good unless you are your own mechanic, which im not..unfortunately[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] and Majorecho--i personally think it is out of line for you to say i exagerate what you say for my own purpose, and it tends to distort everything else i say. i just dont get it...

Old 08-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said before ...

"How much horsepower was the 680 and the 720 supposed to put out? "

Maybe the gains are such to where you really dont need a big bore kit?

Old 08-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Ironrod, i do not know the hp of a 680

my 763 dynoed at samcoes was 62hp with 52ftlb torque but i realy do not know what to believe these days.I think the 720 is outrunning the 680 from what the punisher told me.thats all i know.. and 720s are putting out 62hp from what ive seen.
also i truelly think it has to do with how a motor is put together, i still think my old stage 3 ran just as good with the cam and port combo i was running.

Old 08-22-2003, 08:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Tony (Punisher) and Scott (BigBaja) both beat me at Pismo the other week (720 vs. 680). As for HP. . . depends on the dyno. I would guess about 5 HP difference but. . . (I didn't get near 57 HP on the Dyno I tuned on - but. . . could be the dyno.)

They can tell you how close the races were. I think there will be more separation on the big hills (Sand Mt.) I guess we'll see next week!

Has anyone built a DS 727 (105.5 mm bore using a new Pami Cylinder casting and NO stroke?) You wouldn't have the head sealing issues since there aren't issues with the 760 and you would have a very quick rev. Not as much torque but, should have great HP. I'm sure you would still need to split the cases to get the cases bored to fit the larger jug but, this could be a HP monster! Even better, the only issue I see is if the piston would work (since the 105.5 mm bore piston is for the 760 which has a stroke! I really haven't whitnessed blow-by as an issue with the Pami stroked motors (only having one compression ring) but, I guess it could be out there??? Would be interesting but, for me I would go with the 760 but, that is just because I am more into duning than I am into dragging. Sure, I'll be at the hill next weekend but. . . anyone that wants to ride the trails in the back let me know and we'll take you on a ride!

Old 08-23-2003, 01:34 AM
Range Rover

I can definetly answer the connecting rod issue, It is a stock raptor rod. I have a brand new one hanging in my garage if you know anyone that needs one. I put the corrillo rod in mine, which is also for the raptor after i heard of a few problems with the stock ones breaking! I know it is for a raptor because a buddy of mine was doing his raptor motor at the same time i was doing mine and i compared them and even put a micrometer to them!
Hope that helps!

Old 08-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Annihilater,

I feel your pain. Although the work to be done was on a FE 390 the same result happend. I took my motor to Superior Automotive in ANAHEIM, CA. To have the block machined. Full treatment, align hone, deck, Bored and honed. Once I got the block back and looked at it, I found the block was CRACKED in two different places. I called up JOE Sr. the owner and described the cracks and he said put some ALUMA SEAL in it once I get it built. Well that and some other work was checked, rod straight, balance, to whole job I paid for was trash. I was even charged for work I didn't ask for.

I took him to Small Claims as it was about $1,800 for all the work. I took the block with me, a signed inspection report from a mechanicial engineer who used to drag race. I showed the JUDGE the CRACKS, JOE Sr said they where Casting Marks. Most of you know you can't have Casting Marks where you have fly cut the Head Serface as it would have removed the them. He showed the Judge some HOT ROD magizines that he was in, and it was all over. Pro's vs JOE AVG.

In a nut shell I LOST. $1,800 down the drain.

STAY AWAY FROM SUPERIOR AUTOMOTIVE.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE GUYS

Smitty

Quick Reply: WARNING!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!