CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Arizona Law

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arizona Law

A friend of mine was up in Coconino National Forest a while back. He got stopped by AZ Fish and Game. They told him they are now starting to enforce the laws about riding off road. "All vehicles bust be licensed, insured and street legal to ride on all state and federal land". This includes street legal/DOT approved tires too.

They were way back on an old logging road doing some slow trail riding when they got stopped.

Just a friendly warning, watch you actions.

Old 09-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!
Default Arizona Law

He was just a barney fife looking to SCARE SOME FOLKS one of my friends got pulled over by a forest ranger in crown king for no tags. Actualy none of us had tags the ranger was wirting him up when the fire chief came by and started chewing the rangers azz. To make it simple our state has way to many towns that rely on our riding capitol to survive. And so dose the blm they get grant bounuses for fequently used land for improvments and manit ! They are not going to ruin that to enforce a one sided law but it don't hurt to pay attention and be on your best behavior while breaking our AGE OLD LAWS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Arizona Law

Forgive the pun, but something sounds very 'fishy' with that. It seems it would be a good idea to check on the laws before the next outing. From everything I've heard about riding in AZ, that sounds odd, to say the least.

Old 09-15-2003, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Arizona Law

I thought the same thing. I looked up the laws and it's true. All vehicles need to be street legal to ride on any State or Federal maintained roads (even if there not graded/maintained). Ther are two different types of signs. One verticle and one horizontal. One is considered a free for all and the other you must be street legal.

On Laborday weekend my Dad talked to a ranger he's known for 25-30 years and they are being pushed to enforce the laws by the tree huggers. They are being told to definatly stop the people riding "fast" and those who leave the road and not the hunters or elderly.

Another friend of mine got stopped at Four Peaks for riding "fast" and no USFS approved spark arestor. He had to pay a $250.00 fine.

I'm just letting everyone know to beware of the Barney Fifes and be prepared.

I've though of making my DS street legal just so they can't do anything. Can you see the look on the cop's face if I drove the DS to the corner store for a case of beer?

Old 09-15-2003, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Arizona Law

In Oregon, fire roads are legal roads. Unless you have a street legal two wheel dirt bike, you can get a ticket when you ride them. Thats why I had my KTM LC4 640 for a 2 years. Trails on private property are another thing. For dune riding, all you need is an off road sticker and be legal on the noise. No registration, license, insurance are needed.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Arizona Law

Don't know if this would mater to a ranger but in AZ you can get a permit to use state trust land. It is only $20 for a full year and that covers up to 12 people. I got my permit from the Arizona state land department. It is called a State land Recreational use permit. I did it by mail and received it in 5 days. Do know if it matters. Lets just add a horn and mirror and get street legal.