CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

St. Anthony trip report

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St. Anthony trip report

I finally got to try out the DS with the new Sand Stars and HMF pipe at St. Anthony. I went there with JohnnyRaw and a couple of other guys. PureIntimidation and HoundDog06 were asking about how the Sand Stars worked. So, here is the answer.

The weather was great and so was the sand. The DS was running well and the tires were hooking up well. When we finally got to Chokecherry, I couldn't wait to try it. I made it up easily, and caught air at the top. After a few times, I tried the hill to the left, which is a little steeper, and still made it. Then, raced a Raptor and Predator up Chokecherry. I won, of course, but not by too much.

Then, I wanted to try something a little harder. So, I tried the hills to the right of Chokecherry several times. Each time I either tried to power up in second or shift down to first. Just not quite enough power. So, I took off the air box lid. Wow, what a difference that made. I made it up without a problem after that. Sorry to bring more controversy about the air box lid. But, it seems that mine runs a lot stronger without the lid.

JohnnyRaw had also been having problems getting up Chokecherry. I made it up on his machine, but I am 40 pounds lighter than he is. He was able to catch air at the top on my machine. His machine is set up similar to mine, but he has the Geckos. He finally made it up after airing down the Geckos to 1 psi. After riding my DS with the Sand Stars on, he is selling the Geckos and getting the Stars.

Old 10-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

sounds like someone had fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

Ya, it was a blast. I wish I could go back tomorrow.

Old 10-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider

that is a good feeling, i've felt that way after the last two rides and now i must wait out the fall sport season.

Old 10-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

I cant wait to get my new bike! I miss the sand [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

If you didn't rejet the carbs after taking the airbox lid off, it leaned up your engine with extra airflow. You may or may not want to do that because it either ran too lean (still runs great or even better too lean) and is dangerous for the engine; or you ran it rich with the lid on, and by taking it off it allowed a good air/fuel mixture and is ok for the bike. JMO
Glad to see your happy with your bike though.
Side notes: I want to go to St. Anth, heard alot about choke cherry, and surrounding dunes SOUNDS FUN!

Old 10-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

We went to St. A in july for a few days and it was great. We hit it during a perfect time, it was 100 degrees the week before we got there and the week after we left and in the 80's while we were there. The biggest Bowls and steepests hills i have ever seen and i have been to Glamis, Oregon Dunes, Sand Mountain Nevada, and a few others. We will be back there for a week next year in early june for a week. It worth the 12 hour drive for us [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2003, 09:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

And the 17 hour drive for me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2003, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

Dumont, I'm running with the lid on for now. I have the 185 dynojet main jet in, which is the one that is good for my altitude and the free flowing exhaust. The first chance I get, I will be running without the lid on and checking the spark plug. I realize that I may have to go to the 190 or even higher.