CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Ok, Guys convince me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 03:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, buys convince me.

I am seriously thinking about buying an 04' I need to know that it will be competitive with modded YFZ & 450F. I realize that maybe stock is not an option but how far will piped jetted K&N etc get me, and then how far will Alky get me. Sell me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] thanx. Most of competitive i mean drag and hillshooting.

peace

Old 10-13-2003, 09:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Ok, Guys convince me.

kind of a hard thing to do, i could tell you that my 720 ds can take a 450 but then a 450 guy can come on here and say he won. if you want a quad built to last the ds is a good choice, it will take some work to make it fast to the point you can win most of the time. the 450's there's going to be a lot of those, and you would be just one of them. anyways racing is more about money and how much you want to spend. either one will get to the front but the banshees always seem to have something a step above for drag racing.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Well just got back from gordons well last night where we did encounter a few yzf450's.A guy on a piped and jetted yzf450.With a timing key was compelely going nut's over mine and km's stage three's.There was no yzf450's even close.Oh theres no dought some one will make something for them to be competeive but i don't belive it will ever be heads and shoulders above the ds at best a worthy competition[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Now it's up to you too decide Do you want to be the leader or in the pack????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

In my opinion (rider for rider) A good running YFZ will beat most similarly modded DS's. They are light, nimble and powerfull. While they may not be as cushy in the seat for those long rides, they are good. Talk is cheap, but when you see a 300 lb YZF rider climb up a razor back and stop, look around, and finish climbing the hill with little or no effort, you begin to think they have something there.

Loyalties aside, its a damn good quad. But I love my DS [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .

Old 10-13-2003, 11:40 AM
sam
Pro Rider

R_ipper_R
I just came accross this. maybe it can help ya!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Baia X test
After reading this and listing to other X ownres on this fourm Im tinking about Upgrading!!

Old 10-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah ive read that test article. I realize that the "built" banshees will probly always remain king of shooting. My nephews YFZ is piped & jetted but he doesnt have the timing key. What kind of performance does alky get on the DS, and is the baja X faster than the regular DS or is suspesion and add ons ? My other buddy is buying the new Honda450F. I do not want to get beat [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hey AZSAND what is all involved with your "stage 3" is that ron woods or what ? and who is making the 720 kit Ive seen the 760 it looks like a monster !

anyway thanx for the info, i am buying an 04 i just need to figure out what needs to be done to deal with these pesky 450's thanx !

Old 10-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

AZSand and I don't have the traditional stage 3's. We've peiced them together with our own combination. AZSand runs alky in his and I run race gas in mine. We both have the dual carbs. These stage 3's run very strong, there was a guy on a drag banshee he said it was bored over but wouldn't say how much at the drags on Sat and he was a little disappointed with how well our bikes ran with his. There were a couple yfz's there but they didn't stay long.

The 720's run very strong as well, the 760's are just plain nasty.

Old 10-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My stage 3 680 with me at 225# stomped all over a YFZ450 piped and jetted with a 150# rider on it this last weekend.

Sure, I could strip weight and make mine faster but, as the weekend tore up the sand I was riding 5th gear in a couple big bowls reaching down wishing there was a 6th gear. (The new Work's shocks are awesome!)

Overall, I think the YFZ is a great quad for someone that is 5'8" or less and 150# or less. The lighter the better that YFZ will do and the tougher it will be to beat.

Yea, that 760 does sound like a monster. . . wow. . . Halloween is only 3-weeks away!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2003, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is the alky a big difference ? are you guys on stock piston ? How do you think a piped,jetted,etc,etc, Alky DS650 will run ? I know the the 720 &760 have to be animals ! but I want to wait awhile before stroking and stuff. Is there a timing advance kit for the DS ? thanx for the info im definitaly sold, i just need to get a list of mods together to make sure she stays competitive, i always said i dont have to be the fastest but i refuse to be the slowest [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

peace , thanx

Old 10-13-2003, 08:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

well the ds is pretty hard to beat when bored, azsand and kmduner are the only stage three's that i've had a chance to run that ran great. some run very poor. the 720's run nice, actually i'm very pleased with it, but there are a few that have went all out 760+ this would be the promised land, azsand ,jeff,duneme(soon) and a few others run these. you can get ahold of gary at tvi, and some of these guys for pami, for these engines. these are a couple of the ones that do the bigger engines, mr.horsepower seems to be doing great things with the stock bore. i run a tvi 720 and seldom lose but thanks to azsand and jeff i still know what that feels like(thanks guys). these machines will keep you fighting for the front of the pack. the yamaha is still new, so who knows what will happen there yet.

Quick Reply: Ok, Guys convince me.