CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

what type of paddle for what type of sand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what type of paddle for what type of sand?

so far the only sand i have ridden is silver lake michigan.... (seems to be VERY fine sand, but seeing as how this is my frist time riding sand the only thing i have to judge this by is whats at the local school playground [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

last time i was up there (i currently only have 22x12x10 realtors) i was checking prices on new tires.... the guy there said the ONLY thing that will hook up well there is a straight paddle....

my riding buddies (yfzs and a ds, running sand stars, and one on edges) all seem to do ok....

my two favorite things to do are drag (although its mostly modded shees so i have very little chance most of the time) and hill shooting (small hills at silver....) i do like to slide, and am told straight paddles are anti-slide tires.... is it really really hard to get them to slide or what? im thinking i should be able to slide them out a little....?

we are planning to go to st.joe park in MO, and also this coming spring hit a few places out west.... my question is what hooks up best at other dunes? what type of sand is it?

the three tires i would be choosing from are edges (probably 8 paddle) haulers (8 paddle) or sand stars (heavy, but i like the combo of more traction in a V paddle (all in a 22)

my ds is nearly stock....filter and pipe is all...so im assuming 8 paddles is enough? i know 10 is way too much paddle... 9's?

just looking for opinions on what hooks up where, since a lot of you have covered most of the dunes around the country. (im only buying sand tires ONCE...lol dont have the cash to "test drive" tires!)

Old 12-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you like to drag, I would go with the 8 paddle extreem haulers 22" , they are harder to slide, (but can be done) than a V if you get front ribbed tires it will help make up a little for the straight paddles.. .

Old 12-09-2003, 06:35 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Another vote for Haulers, as Big Waynster said, for dragging use a 22" 8 paddle. If you wan to lean towards a little more all around (better slider) go with a 20" 8 paddle.
HAULERS FOR SURE!
despite what anyone says, I can slide my rides around as good as a v paddle. I have run Edges and Geckos, not enough hook up, and too heavy on the molded tires.

Old 12-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

We ride in a heavier wet sand. I use the 22inch 10paddle extremes. They are real good for holeshot.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

22" HAULERS IS THE BEST SIZE, 8 PADDLE IS THE BEST CONFIGURATION FOR A STOCK OR LIGHTLY MODDED DS. YOU WILL NOT NEED PADDLES FOR ST.JOE STATE PARK. THE SAND THERE IS HEAVY. ALL YOU WILL NEED THERE IS A TIRE LIKE A HOLESHOT @ 3PSI.

Old 12-09-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

22" 8 paddle haulers and yes they will slide and they will definitely get you off the line quicker than a angled design.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

ok thanks for the info guys.

i think i will probably end up just using my realtor tires for st.joe seeing as how it is woods and the heavy sand

is st.joe a good place to ride? we have ridden silver lake which is 5 horus away, the badlands at a little over 4 hours away, and st.joe would be a 6 hour drive for us. (silver lake is only like 500 acres, and the badlands is 900 acres, so we were thinking that with 2000 acres it should have some decent riding?)

Old 12-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I am getting paddles just for St. Joe because I can't hook up for squat in the sand there. When are you planning on going? I am alsways looking for more folks to go riding with. It has a bit of everything, sand, woods and mud too.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

we will probably go once it gets warmer out.
is st.joe hilly or mostly flat? (is the sand actual dunes, or just sand...?)

Old 12-10-2003, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: R00ST
we will probably go once it gets warmer out.
is st.joe hilly or mostly flat? (is the sand actual dunes, or just sand...?)

The sand is pretty flat. But, the trails have some pretty steep hills in them.

Quick Reply: what type of paddle for what type of sand?