CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Paddles- 20 or 22inch

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddles- 20 or 22inch

Originally posted by: ironrod
Originally posted by: SANDMAN430
the 22" are much better
Sandman... Where have you been?

Oh, I run the 20" 8 paddle - I've tried the 9's and 10's - it just didn't go as fast - The 22" will give you better hook up, and you'd need at least 9 paddle on those. I didn't like the way my quad sat with the 22" - I felt I lost some manueverability for the trails. Lower in the back than the front is the proper stance for MX. But for drags, bigger in the back is better.
hmmm i run 22" all the time, and all i ride is trails, well maybe it just feels wierd because of the front tire size, thats y i'm going to 23" for my next fronts

Old 12-22-2003, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

Ordered them today. 22 inch 9 paddle Skat-Trak Edges. Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm looking forward to trying them out at Buttercup on New Year's weekend.
I'll give a full report after that.

Blackhawk: I did rejet when I installed the slip-on, I can't remember what size main I wound up with, but I do remember the clip on the needle is at the # 4 notch. The bike runs a lot better without the airbox lid on.

Old 12-22-2003, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IronRod.... You love your 20s too!.. guys you are all giving advice, have you even tried 20"s.. Im sure some of you have and have very informative comparitive info... But id bet a tripple nickle you couldnt keep up with me through the dunes.... See i spend $1k plus to lower my bike 3 inches,(zero preloads and arms) ... so your not going to get me to jack it back up another inch for no reason... For drag racing yes, 22"s all the way, but for riding hard as heck, you need to be as low as possible... My 20"s have never gotten me stuck anywhere 22"s wouldnt have.......Most the guys i ride with ride 250Rs, and they all have 22"s for whatever reason and are always envous of my 20"s... and whenever they buy a new set there going 20"s........ Im not trying to convince anyone to buy them as 22"s are a better tire for begginer's or drag racers, or sunday drivers(though i still elected to but 20" Edges on my wifes EX, she's a begginer but i wanted stability over height for her)..... Im just saying 20"s have there place in the sand as 18"ers do on the track... Its all about preferance....My advice to any regular duner is to try them both... Its easier than you think, the next time your at your dunes, just ask the first guy you see with a DS, to try his, let him ride your bike for a minute.. Usually people are super friendly and would love you to test out there mods for a quick minute.. Good luck and have a blast on whatever tires rocket you through the dunes.
Jetjock16

Old 12-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Jetjock, 22" tires can't raise a quad 2 inches, only one inch and in reality probably not in that due to tire flex. I see most people asking about tire size because they want to win drags or a least have a chance. This is why I always recomend 22"s. Have you tried 18"s in the dunes? maybe they would be better. Do you slide the rear around? maybe you could try some of those desert traks with the center rib for rear tires, that should give you slot car performance. Around here in the Oregon dunes the light makeup of the sand means that 20" tires will get you stuck or make you dig trenches trying to launch. When the sand is wet 20"s are fine. Desert dunes have a granite type makeup and seem denser, Glamis sand is like this and 20"s seemed to do good there I think Ironrod was running some and he got good launches. I've tried 20", 21", and 22"s and have thought about 23"s for my next tires.

Old 12-23-2003, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Tall tires will hook up better and give you better traction in a drag. But, contrary to popular belief, I don't drag as much as I used to. I love to trail ride in the sand trails. If your quad sits up high in the a$$, with small front tires, steering ability will decrease; which is a good thing if you drag race. A good all around quad really should have a lower stance in the back than the front; better for turning heavy quads, better for jumps, better for whoops. Just look at some of the most popular MX quads out there like the 250R - Lower in the back gives you the goods for mx. I know a lot of you guys only drag, and thats cool, just dont race me in the trails! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2003, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mysteried, thanks for the info... you misread my statement though.. i only posted that it would raise the rear one inch, not two.. but you are correct in that is the amount of change we are talking about........ As for the Oregon dunes.. I was just there, spend two days at Winchestor and 3 days at Horesfall, then went to Glamis..... I dont think anyone would argue that the sand down south is much lighter than the Oregon sand......Specialy since your right on the water you got the thick granuals,.. Our Dunes in TX are the lightest ive seen, go without rain for months.. some times youll be riding on the front hubs, as half your front wheel will be under the sand till about 3rd gear....Thats where 22"s would have the advanatage, as for 18"s ive never tried them, probabably would handle Awsome, but might be a little small for hooking up good, but Unlike alot of you guys, since i have not tried them, I wont recommend against them...

Old 12-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

jetjock16- I have tried 20" on my baja and they did not hook up or handle on my baja like the 22" and i am not a (BEGINNER OR A DRAG RACER)although i do some drag racing.I found that the 20" just seemed to spin much more than the 22" and the 22'' also keeps the heavy baja just that much more on top with its additional height.We all have opinions but some of us have opinions based on experience not just what we have heard.I hope you dont get too defensive but the statement about 22" tires being for drag racers and beginners is condescending and untrue and very much a generalization.

Old 12-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

I have 20" 10 paddle haulers on my DS now and must say I'm looking into a taller tire. I may even go to 12" wheels to get the 23" height and keep the handling when I jump on the top of the whoops. That's the only down side to a big tire and small wheel combo in the sand, they don't do well over fast whoops. They tend to bounce off the ground more than a short tire. .02