CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Info on Magura Hyd clutch........

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on Magura Hyd clutch........

How do they feel compared to the regular cable clutch system? Is it pricy and do you think it is worth getting?

Old 02-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

I was just about to do a post on the same topic.

I believe that they run about $250 complete.

I would like to know if it helps the pull for us that run 60% over springs???? I would buy it tomorrow if I thought it would. Anybody running the Magura on a DS???
Also, what is the quality like and fit/finish specifically for the DS.

Cheers[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Domi, I decided to go out and by the darn thing. Figured it had to be better than the 60% pull than I already had.

I'm not sure they make one for the DS 650 but the local shop that I use for parts and info sells one that is marked for the KX250/500. The guy in charge of all the serious service has one on his and couldn't talk enough about it. They run about $239 in the shop, but they gave it to me for $199. You can probably get it cheaper, but figured after shipping we'd be about right there.

Before I get to feel, I'll talk about fit, finish, install and mechical. The fit is OK. You'll have a little problem with the Light, kill, start switch housing as the Magura clamp housing requirs a different orientation to that of stock. Play a little and take out a file and trim a little (just a little is all that's needed for my optimum positioning). The slave cylinder end fits neatly in the stock cable stop on the case. It may seem that it would need more, however that's just how peddle assemblies work in buggies and they're very rugged. Pretty simple setup really...

Install was kind of a pain, because Bombardier tries to fit the stock cable and every other harness right in the same spot. Take your time and go slow and eventually the stock cable will come out. Read all the directions in the box and make sure you don't compress the lever before it's on the arm. I found it easier to take the front plastic off and remove the light assembly at the top of the frame. This makes it easier to remove the oil tank as well. Once all that is done, the slave cylinder/end is easy to route.

finish - AWSOME - pretty much a piece of art. SUPER LIGHT!!!! and very clean!

Now to the feel: Magura advertises that it reduces pull weight by at least 20%. I just put new RWR 60% springs in and it was a pretty sick pull. As most will tell you, it's a pull that should be only used for drag racing. Long technical rides - FORGET ABOUT IT.
The Magura has brought me back the ridability that I once had. Just for kicks, I went to my neighbors house, to compare the pull to his Honda 400EX. He just put 20% springs and a new clutch. We both felt that my pull was a little less than his. It is a little more than stock, but a huge reduction from where I was 30 minutes prior. If I had to guess I would say it dropped me a conservative 30 - 40% - NO JOKE.

Good luck with your decision. I know that it was a good choice for me.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:42 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the input there BigDaddy. There was another thread awhile back, that had all the part #'s that one needed to assemble the Mag clutch on the DS. I was hoping they would reappear.

I here the feel is smooth. 30-40% would be really nice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Range Rover

I'll be adding the Magura to my list as well, one thing I can tell you is the Magura on my KTM makes for a lot less fatigued clutch hand after a long GNCC.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

The KX250/500 Fits perfectly at the pull rod. No modification or anything. Heck, you don't even have to put anything together. It come ready to go. Perfect length and everything. The part number from Magura is 0120492.
Also, on stock clutch levers there is a switch mounted to the assembly. This lets you start the sled in gear while depressing the clutch. You just have to take it out and then jump the wires. Pretty simple really.

Worth adding.... a stock pull feels like it has a notch feel to it. Almost like you can feel each engage and disengage. The Magura Hyd. does have any notchyness. It's very smooth. Now I just have to find a front brake lever to match.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

A local dealer and friend of mine bought a bunch of returned parts from a wholesaler. Among these were quite a few Magura clutch kits for different bikes. Well I bought 2 of them CHEAP ($25 a piece) one was for a KX125 the other for a CR250. I rigged one up on my banshee and the difference was spectacular. I run YZ490 clutch springs which are stiff. I ended up taking it off because my aftermarket carbs hung down too low and the left side would fit in the boot right.

My main reason for replying is to tell you that the reason these were returned was the original purchaser pumped the lever before installing it and I had to rebleed the system. That was a PITA!

Old 02-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Range Rover

I'll call mark to repost the part #'s needed. He set the 1st one up with peter at magura and tried many master and slaves to get it right. WE love them but carry spare slaves with you because they some times break off at the arm on for the clutch if you dont have the right rubber washer on it. And The slaves also wear out. Peter sent some upgraded slaves to us six monthes ago and no problems yet. rebleeding is easy if you make the right set-up.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

I had probs w/ my hydro clutch, It didnt want to dis-engage all the way, I kept going through clutches very fast, but to each is own. I want to get rid of mine...

Old 02-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Annihilator sounds like you had a Hydro unit that had the handle pressed prior to installing. That is exactly what happens.... I've heard it can be a real pain. Defenitely keep your old clutch! Always have a spare!

Suprdvtm, I don't even know what you mean about the rubber washer.... they don't even have that on them anymore. At least the one for the DS doesn't. Not to sure what you are talking about. Please explain.

Quick Reply: Info on Magura Hyd clutch........