CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Noticing a "loose" rear end.... (swing arm loose?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noticing a "loose" rear end.... (swing arm loose?)

i noticed it more today riding than usual.... while riding i will feel my rear end feels kind of loose.... the suspension travels vertically up and down, and this "looseness" is a horizontal play in SOMTHING.... (im thinking its NOT supposed to be there)

when i get off the machine and push the grab bar side to side (so toward a tire, than back toward the other tire) i can feel like a 1/2 inch play... it looks like the brake is loose, (the caliper/pads seem like they have a lot of space on either side....)

i havnt gotten a chance to really look at it up close (it was 15 degrees @ the badlands today so i was either RIDING or INSIDE lol)

is this a common problem? (or maybe not even a problem at all? )

i dont know if its always been there and gotten worse, or if im just now noticing it.... (its actually quite annoying, because it makes me paranoid somthing is going to break, or fall off. the last time i started to feel a considerable side to side play i stopped to find out my friend who i let install my wheel nuts, didnt tighten 3 of them.... so it Wallowed out 3 oval holes in the rim.... lol)

any help is appreciated!

Old 02-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Range Rover

It sounds like your axle nut is loose.
This was a common problem in the early bikes.
I recommend you jack the back up so the wheels are off the ground.
Grab a wheel and see if you have any side to side play with the bearing carrier.
If so, tighten the axle nut or you'll toast your bearings!

Old 02-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

alright, i was able to take a closer look at it today (with the rear axle/tires up in the air)

and i shook the right tire... uh oh... lol def loose.... probably a few MM's of play....

i did the same on the left side but dont think its loose (if it is its like 1mm....)

on the right, the hub/rim and all seems to be tight, and the "looseness" seems to be in what i would call the axle carrier (where the swingarm holds the axle)

so... is this what you were talking about when you said to tighten the axle nut? (if so how do i go about doing this?)

will i be able to tell if i toasted the bearings? (im assuming if it still has play after i do what needs to be done, then they are toasted)

Thanks for the help! (i hope im not finding this too late!)

Old 02-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Range Rover

The axle nut is on the left side of the axle next to the brake & rotor. You should jack the quad up to perform this task.
To tighten the nut, loosen the lock screw first then turn the nut out (toward the wheel) with a good strap wrench.
Don't forget to retighten the lock screw.
You don't want any side to side movement of the axle in the bearing carrier.
If you still have movement after you tighten the axle nut, then you might consider R&R your axle bearings.
Good luck.