CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Intake tube!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake tube!!!

Let's try this.... The proto-type is done and will be on the dyno tomorrow. AS I said before in the post that was removed, I hope to see a 2 - 4hp increase. If I don't see that, then I probably wont manufacture any for public consumption. If it does yield an increase I will make the tube available to members of this FINE forum.

Forum admin: I'm not trying to get rich or even sell products, I simply would make the tube available for cost or at least give the design to everyone. Do you really think that I'm going to try to make money of of a tube???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I hope to have the dyno numbers up by Friday night or Saturday, for those who are interested.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

ever talk to any of the major engine shops , they act like the ds is poison. i find it funny that there is any grief over any ds parts. well it's funny that some of the small shops can compete withthe major engine shops[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

....can't wait for your results, BD331!

Old 02-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

I've been waiting for this since 2001. In 2001, when people FIRST started saying the intake tube would collapse I kepts asking (I even made a couple of posts about it) if someone was going to create something better. At that time no one cared - they all thought the carburetor mount filter was the god sent setup. It's funny how things come back like this.

When you do your comparison, be sure to compare a stock tube, from the factory and one with the hose clamps around it. The only bad thing is that you have a 2003 DS, and I know the tube on my 2003 has much more heavy duty ribs in it than my 2001, so whatever results you find will be amplified on the 2000 - 2001 models. I don't know what the air tube looked like for 2002.

Old 02-20-2004, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake tube!!!

If you were not doing the test tomorrow, I would send you my tube off my 2000 ds, I didn't know they were different in 03

Old 02-20-2004, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

Didn't know either..... I would love to test the stock tube with hose clamps but I chucked it about 6 months ago. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

I have one on order and plan on doing some testing after I get it. Which ever set up (direct mount or tube) makes the most HP, the bike will be dyno-tuned to that setup. When I get the tube in, I'll put that on and check out the plugs. If the plugs are showing more color, then you'll know it was more restrictive and if less, then we'll know that the proto-type was more restrictive.

I will post on this thread tomorrow as soon as I get the results. I don't have a scanner, so the results will have to be typed in. I guess I could try to take a picture and load it, but that usually doesn't work to well.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for a good result.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

Blackhawk,

I remember those posts way back in 2001. However, I did try, very hard, to get UPP to make a firmer air tube based on the stock tube. They said it was going to be too expensive to create a mold for it. I have not given up, and those that know me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] , know I have something new up my sleave - it WILL blow everyone away.

Old 02-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

when are you ever not working on something new[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

ODP,

That is excellent news indeed.

BigDaddy331,

That sounds like the best you can do with what you've got. Do you know any of the DS forum guys in the LV/Henderson area? I know Al (Vegas650) has a stock 2003, so if you could borrow his stock tube or have him show up you might get somewhere. He also has a 2001 DS, so if there was a chance he kept his stock tube from that ATV, you could really be in luck. Otherwise, we'll still be very interested to see what happens.

Old 02-21-2004, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Intake tube!!!

Just wanted to give you guys an update on the Dyno Testing.....

The sled was dropped off on Tuesday for a Wednesday dyno session - didn't happen

Thursday's dyno session didn't happen....
Friday's session didn't happen - Skip was sick (went to the hospital that night)
Saturday's morning session didn't happen either [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Mario and myself have now been in contact and we're looking to set up a couple hours of Dyno time together, and test more than just the tube. Looks like we'll be doing carbs, tubes and exhaust. I have been contacted by others as well and I'll be making a post to the VEGAS crew today or tonight.

Thanks for hanging in there guys.

BigDaddy

Quick Reply: Intake tube!!!