CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Any bomb guys ride a Raptor before getting the bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any bomb guys ride a Raptor before getting the bomb?

What are your thoughts on the 2 bikes, and what do you feel the bomb does better? I bought a 04 Raptor a month ago, and I don't really like it. Looking for some feedback.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I rode a Bomb from time to time before buying a Raptor, does that count?

The Bombs ride is smoother and the seat is more comfortable. It feels heavier when being rode and i personaly would be scared to get much air on it. I'm scared to get much air period for that matter. The whole bike (DS) seems better built. Changing jets on the bomb is much, much easier. Buying after market parts for the Raptor is much less expensive. Adjusting the valves on the Raptor appears to be a bit less confusing. The average Bomb seems to be able to be made to go faster than the average Raptor. That could just be a money thing. The new Baja X seems to be a bit faster and a bit lighter quad than the previous DS's. That's where I'd go if I were unhappy with my Raptor.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

The week before I bought mine, I had ridden my friends 04 Raptor w/sparks pipe, and jet kit. I really am glad I bought the bomber.
The raptor felt like I was a jacked up 400ex. It felt like you were sitting 5ft off the ground. It made good power, but just didnt fit me.
Plus around here everyone, and their brother has a raptor, and I had only seen a handful of bombers, so thats pretty nice.
I am glad I got my 04 Baja X.
Justin

Old 02-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

Ive ridden both quite a bit.. too differnt machines. .the raptor feels 100lbs ligher when riding.. its not much lighter in reality.. it also feels alot less powerful, i cant tell why, but just doesnt seem to have the same power.. though there pretty close on power.. The DS is built like no other... you cant hurt the frame or engine..period.. the raptor is built like the rest.. one good accident and time for a new bike.. as for engines.. hit and miss, check the yamaha forum...Ive jumped both stock and the raptor does land better.. i have TCS shocks and mine lands better than any raptor stock.. i have not landed a raptor with aftermarket shocks.. i bet it would be pretty nice....to rap up the difference just compare the chain, driveterrain and swingarm..etc etc... the DS is just built Heavy duty and pays for it in the weight department... both great bikes, but id guess the raptor is a dying bread with the YFZ in town.. the DS on the other hand will always appeal to the big riders or ones who want comfort.. My wife does not want my to sell the DS.. she can ride on the back of me for hours at the dunes... I dont think shell enjoy the back of the YFZ too much... I love my DS to death, but would/trying to sell it to get the YFZ, just for less weight and better jumping... I am expecting to deal with more problems than my Bulletproof DS.. ive never owned anything as bulletproof..
JJ

Old 02-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

How does the lack of reverse affect you? The reverse on the Raptor is a joke anyway with the rev limiter. If you get stuck in the dunes, is it really hard to tug on it?? I can lift the Raptor, but I have a bad back, and I don't want to have to strain all of the time.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i've rode my brothers raptor a bit it's nice but i wouldn't go that way. the handling is nice in some areas and in others it seems hard to handle, for woods riding i'd go with the raptor just for the reverse. alot of the guys at the dunes seem to be having a few problems.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Range Rover

I rode my buddy's 2004 Raptor a few times and it has the Alba stage III kit. I still ended up buying the Baja X. Running mine stock for now and he hasn't beat me yet. Could be rider but I have riddend his enough to know that his rappy has a low torque type of power. Where the Baja X has a midrange hit that is almost two stroke like. I really like the ride and the comfort of the Baja X and I'm not really a jumper( have to go to work and pay bills) so the weight isn't an issue for me. Don't even notice it plus my buddy rode mine and he came back saying it rode like a cadillac compared to his. It was pretty rutted in the dunes and the Baja X soaked em up easily. I am looking forward to modifying it in the future, after a couple more oil changes, and surprising some Raptor owners hehe.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

I owned a raptor before my ds and it was the biggest piece of junk! every ride cost me two hundred dollars.

but any ways, I originally bought the ds for my wife (and when may raptor was broke) I hated it at first and thought it was slow. but after a couple of races I found out it was ALOT faster and handled better. I would never go back even for a full sponsership.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

I own both and for most situations i would rather be on the baja simply because it is such a plush ride compared to my raptor.The build quality of the bombardier seems to be superior to the raptor or at least everything is much stronger.If you do a lot of duning i dont think that you can beat a bombardier for all day rides because among other things the seat is much more comfortable than the raptor.There are some that say the bombardiers are too big for tight trails but i ride some very narrow tree lined trails with mine and at least for me it is not a problem.If i would have known just how good of a performer and how smooth and plush the bombardiers were i would have bought one a few years ago.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Bought an 02 Raptor last July and really enjoyed it. Came with all the skid plates and add on bumpers and such. Great bike and it's pretty good on the trails. I bought the DS because it was the faster bike for big boys like me and it was really comfortable. Still prefer the Raptor on the trails but the ride isn't in the same category as the DS. That DS is one great riding bike. Sucks on trails compared to the Raptor but I still prefer riding it. It outruns my Raptor too.

Quick Reply: Any bomb guys ride a Raptor before getting the bomb?