CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Thinking bout getting a DS need some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking bout getting a DS need some feedback

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a new DS and was wondering if I would be disapointed. I have a 400ex with some stuff done to it and I take piped raptors and slightly more modded z400's. I have rode both and wasn't impressed with the power at all. I think the raptors are extremely weak without internal mods, and the same goes for the z's. I live in Indiana so its mostly just playing in fields and on mostly flat land. I will be riding in some trails every now and then. I also ride alot of mx style tracks and was wondering how the big DS is on the track and basically everywhere except the sand. I just want something that is reliable and will scare me a little. I'm 6'3 220lbs so I don't think the size of the DS would get to me. How is the weight, is it carried low, does it jump good, can you pull the front end up in 5th without much trouble? Also, how does the 04 DS compare to the YFZ in power and acceleration. I'm getting one or the other just need some feedback from people that have one. I appreciate your help and that for the most part everyone in the Bombardier forum is not biased towards anyone one brand.

Thanks alot,

Ish

Old 03-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

6'2" and 225. I love the DS. I think the YFZ is a very well built quad but, it feels the same as my daughter's LT80 when I am sitting on it.

With our weight, you will need to do some minor mods to compete with the YFZ's with the 150# riders on them.

I hear the '04 will let you bring up the front end a lot easier and I've also heard it is a little faster than previous DS's.

Cool thing about the DS is you can ride it all day and not be sore.

I don't ride MX so not sure about that. I ride some sand trails and have no problems at all. The DS soaks up the whoops like nothing else can.

Old 03-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to lower a ds650 so its not so top heavy?

I heard that on a bone stock ds650 if you just change the gearing that you can hit 90 some mph.
Is this true?????? If it is does it kill your acceleration?

The rotax motor that is in the DS is also the same one thats in the BMW dual sport correct??
Well not the same motor but just with diff cams and ignition and stuff like that right?

Keep the feedback coming

Thanks

Old 03-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Top heavy?!? I think you're thinking of a Raptor...

Theoretically with an 18 tooth you should be able to hit about 85mph, but you're getting into some serious wind drag at those speeds. Acceleration wouldn't be the best.

Same as BMW F650, except for ignition, cams, and transmission gears, as far as I know.

I bought my DS for sand, and that's where it's the best. An '04 may be better for what you want to do, but I'm not the best one to give an opinion on that.

Old 03-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The DS is a great big guy quad & will do good for your needs

Old 03-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

they are awesome im picking one up in a couple of weeks

Old 03-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

I think one test ride will answer most of your questions. With a 6'3" 220lb frame, you'll probably be more comfortable on the DS.
I'm 5'10" 200lbs and all the 400 class quads feel like toys to me. Not only that, but the DS is the best buy as well. I paid $5499 for my 03 Baja brand new back in November.
Bombardier is always improving the product also. The 04 Baja X is said to have an even better suspension (already great) and I also heard guys say it is faster than the previous models(in stock form).
Go ride one and let us know what you think. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

The first thing is the only thing a 400ex and a ds650 have in common is four wheels and off- road only. The ds is 6in. longer and 4in. wider more powerful heavier, so on. I'm 6'2" Idon't fit well on anything else, except a Polaris and 'm not that old anymore. I have a '00 ds and am very happy with it, woods yes cross country yes moto depends on the type of track. most of the tracks here in Iowa you could ride a school bus on so I won't comment on that. You will find that The motor ROTAX will outlast two Hondas And make twice the power. About the Yamaha, Yamaha makes good machines,but yet to see one run

Old 03-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

I sold my 00 426ex that was ported, hot cammed, 12.5 to 1, sparks exhaust, 39fcr, and all the other goodies. You will be happy w/ the ds' power. Its heavier, and bigger but its well worth it. I later rode the ex, and it felt like a childs toy. I had ridden a sparks piped raptor the weekend before I bought my ds, and I know I made the right choice. As far as pulling up in 5th gear, unless you clutch the crap out of something, or gear it all to PI$$ I havent seen anything that would power up in 5th. But the ds does pull hard on top! As far as being scared when you ride, just put on a blindfold, or take the return spring out of the carb and throttle housing. The ds handles better than my ex did as far as high speed turning. I cant give a whole lot of input on the mx , sorry.
later
justin

Old 03-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

We're the same size, and I can't imagine riding anything else. Everytime I trade with someone at the dunes I regret it and stare at them wanting my bike back. A new DS should take your 400 in drags but you may miss the 400 at the track. 04's have a shorter swingarm and are a little lighter so they wheely easier than older models. Unless you have to ride on alot of very narrow trails, I think your choice is clear.

Quick Reply: Thinking bout getting a DS need some feedback