CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

So what are the basics for a new DS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what are the basics for a new DS?

I plan on a new "X" right off soon, and would like some opinions on what the first add-ons should be, and what seems to work the best.....Like pipes, airbox mods/filters, possibly a cam change, higher rev limiter, etc. I own two heavily modded Zilla's, and although just about everything on them is fairly new, they are starting to seem more and more dated. I can't leave nothing stock (hell, even my 89 VW Fox 4-speed has gone from a 83hp 1.8L to a 165hp 2.0 5-speed), and I'm sure I won't be to awestruck w/ a stock DS's output, especially after riding the Zilla's for 4 years now......Thanks alot, and don't be bashfull!!

Old 03-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I got a chance to put some good quality time on Bartletts BajaX this past friday,and YES they are a super plush quad ,with great power from bottom to top. It wont be the kind of ZILLA power your used to, but the DS's are some what decieving in thier acceleration. The Best thing about the X is it is SOOOOOOOOO PLUSH! and they Handle Awesome. Their is a total night and Day different between the earlier models and the 04's. The BajaX does everything so well,and with total comfort to boot.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Actually being the Racer he is, Bartlett actual is thinking of selling/trading his X for a new V-force(cause of the hair-scramble classes he is in.) or I think I even heard him say that he would like to biuld a ZILLA. Get with Bartlett if you want an AWESOME X for a great price.

I'm still kicking myself in the *** for not trading him for my V-force this weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. But hey , its my wifes Ride,and she likes the AUTO. what can I do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Bigger.

Old 03-08-2004, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

Ugh!! Not after seeing the pictures of the mangled front end!! J/K I had the chance to ride an 01 for like 5 minutes back a few years ago, and they are wicked comfy. Seems the rev limiter is set way to low.....I thought the jetting was fubared at first.....oh well....I do like the size, that's for sure. Everything else out there just doesn't seem to fit me. My cousin is going to buy my 87 QR, so that'll make room (and some of the downpayment) for the DS. Of course, I hafta keep the 90.........Latah....

Old 03-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the mangled frontend pic is of an older DS, not his 04 X.

As far as motor upgrades I think you cant go wrong with either of these.

Mild - Mr. HP's Lecron 46, billet end-cap, intake porting

Wild - TVI 720 kit

Both are proven performers

Old 03-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: biggerisbetter
I got a chance to put some good quality time on Bartletts BajaX this past friday,and YES they are a super plush quad ,with great power from bottom to top. It wont be the kind of ZILLA power your used to, but the DS's are some what decieving in thier acceleration. The Best thing about the X is it is SOOOOOOOOO PLUSH! and they Handle Awesome. Their is a total night and Day different between the earlier models and the 04's. The BajaX does everything so well,and with total comfort to boot.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Actually being the Racer he is, Bartlett actual is thinking of selling/trading his X for a new V-force(cause of the hair-scramble classes he is in.) or I think I even heard him say that he would like to biuld a ZILLA. Get with Bartlett if you want an AWESOME X for a great price.

I'm still kicking myself in the *** for not trading him for my V-force this weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. But hey , its my wifes Ride,and she likes the AUTO. what can I do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Bigger.
Don't forget the Power and motor and tranny on the BajaX is the same as Baja Except for the Shocks wich are gas.....But who wants factory shocks anyways....I use elka's elite's on mine.....For the money you can save between the bajaX and baja you can go to alba and get alot of cool parts and a flame graphics kit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] just my nickle worth

Old 03-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Funny you should mention that...I was just on the Alba site looking at the flame graphics, and I think they'd look sweet with the orange/black Baja.....and I don't really care for the X's nerf bars a whole lot...I did do something retarded and ordered the clear coolant hoses, even though it might be a good month before I get my DS.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] What do you all recommend for a good pipe/silencer combo that isn't too overly loud? Like under 95 db's or so? Thanks...

Old 03-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fasternu
Funny you should mention that...I was just on the Alba site looking at the flame graphics, and I think they'd look sweet with the orange/black Baja.....and I don't really care for the X's nerf bars a whole lot...I did do something retarded and ordered the clear coolant hoses, even though it might be a good month before I get my DS.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] What do you all recommend for a good pipe/silencer combo that isn't too overly loud? Like under 95 db's or so? Thanks...

I think you would love the AC Pro-peg nerfs....here's the link
http://acracing.com/site/itemdetails...=49&sort=price

Old 03-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, those are nice lookin'.....Thanks!!