CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

can you "adjust" the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you "adjust" the clutch?

I installed some 60% ron woods springs (well i THINK the installation is done...lol)
and i havnt filled it back up with coolant yet, because it dosnt feel quite right...

First off, these springs are SUPER strong! lol i sat there pumping them for about a minute and i could seriously "feel the burn" !!

hopefully its not as bad while riding.... (hope they dont give arm fatigue)

but anyway, when i pulled in the clutch it just felt like there was slack... so i took of the little "doo-dad" on top of the clutch cover (what the cable connects to and rotates as you pull the lever)

to try and pull ALL the slack i could out of it, and then re-attatch it to that splined shaft on the case... i did that but it still felt like it had slack...

i went up to the perch itself and adjust it all the way in (loose) and then put on the "doo-dad" then loosened the cable itself (which tightened it)

i havnt been able to ride it yet (first off because im not gonna go ahead and fill the coolant till i know its ok, and second off im in the middle of 3-4 other installations)
But it feels like its engaging differently...like its not completly locked up when i totally release the lever all the way... besides the obvious clutch pull change it just feels.... different....

When i come back from working on it tomorrow ill try to better describe what its doing. Is there a way to adjust where along the clutch-lever pull the clutch actually engages? (possibly the **** i was messing with that tightens/loosens the cable?)

before it used to engage really quick (stock) as in, i could stick my middle finger out on the perch itself, and leave my other fingers on the bar, and if i squished my other fingers it was just BARELY engaging (where i put it when i get ready to drag)

Sorry if im just confusing the question... ill try to clear it up a bit tomorrow

if anyone can decipher any of what i just typed any kind of input is appreciated! lol Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure u have put the teeth on the clutch and the teeth on the clutch cover together correctly. Or make sure u havent broken any teeth on the clutch or clutch cover. Try adjusting the clutch cable on the handle bars. Yes w/60% stiffer springs u are going to tell a big difference in pulling th clutch, and yes it will hurt after a while of riding until u get ur muscles built up for it. Any more help just let me know, Lance

Old 03-25-2004, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

I am new to the sport so can you tell me why so many people switch to the 60% clutch springs? It makes the clutch harder so I thought that would be a bad thing. Does it make a diff in how the tranny performs?

Old 03-25-2004, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

with the 60% springs it makes it grab harder...ROOST...make sure your little doo dad thing LOL where i goes down into the side case it catching and pulling up on the little black thing to engage the clutch...otherwise check your clutch cable...and if you cant find anything crank it..put it in first gear..and just let out of the clutch w/little gas and see how it does..if it goes fine then ride it like you always doo...

Old 03-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: cain73
I am new to the sport so can you tell me why so many people switch to the 60% clutch springs? It makes the clutch harder so I thought that would be a bad thing. Does it make a diff in how the tranny performs?
U add stiffer clutch springs when u start adding performence parts that increase the Horsepower and torque of ur motor. You have to do this because when u get to much power ur clutch cant handle it and it will start to slip due to the clutch plates not grabbing fast enough to handle the power, or somthing like that. So the stiffer springs takes care of this problem.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Lance

Old 03-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cain73

helps prevent slippage. especailly when you mod you motor.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

thanks barlett your said it the way i tried to LOL

Old 03-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

ya, i noticed that shaft when i was putting it back together... figure that is how it pulls on the clutch...

i know it is grabbing it.... because the clutch DOES work (the only way i was able to test it was to roll it in gear with the clutch in...)

Im just wondering, because i cant actually run it right now, is there a way to only put it on Partially correct? or is it basically ON, or NOT on...?

*****EDIT ******

alright, i was out there today fiddling with it, and the problem is, when i totally pull the clutch in, it wont completley free up the drivetrain... (im assuming it should be as easy to roll in gear with the clutch in, as it does in neutral?)

i CAN push it, but it is by no means unlocked....

i tried adjusting the thumbscrew on the perch lever all the way in, and then taking the slack out of the "doo-dad" same prob...

also tried adjusting the screw all the way out, then taking the slack out of the "doo-dad" with again the same problem...

just kinda wondering what the problem is...

any ideas?

Old 03-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

I recently put 60% springs and WHOA the clutch pull is tremendous. I hope Magura makes a specific kit for the DS soon.

I was told from a Yamaha dealer you want a little slack in your clutch. Reason being if it's too taught it will burn up your clutch (ie like your riding around with the clutch pulled in feathered like). Perhaps it's only for a Raptor, but I would believe that holds true to any bike.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

ya, i like having it engage how it did stock, just barely out from being fully in. (barely enough room for my fingers to be there before it engages)

I just cant figure out why its not fully engaging the clutch... everything seems correct and i dont know if im over looking somthing or if i didnt re-assemble it correctly... (im 90% sure i put the case back on correctly so the splines on the case and the splines on that shaft lined up (if they didnt i assume pulling the lever wouldnt move the clutch at all) when i put the screws in, i went till they bottomed,then just snugged them up (probably 10ft/lbs maybe) is that correct? (i forget the actual foot/pounds it said to tighten them to)

Quick Reply: can you "adjust" the clutch?