CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

power mods...whats next? *also Dyno questions *

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power mods...whats next? *also Dyno questions *

I have Pipe - Filter - Ported intake - CDI - 60% clutch springs....

whats next? i have my HS graduation coming up soon and was thinking id get ONE thing for my ds (want to put the rest of my $$$ in the bank)... but nothing too extreme... (no big bore kits [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] )

With my above mods what kind of peak HP and torque numbers am i looking at with the 46hv carb? im assuming the carb would provide more HP than the dual pipes? (i already have a white brothers pipe, so say the WB gives me 4, and the duals give me 8...thats only 4 net hp over what i currently have) where as the carb will give me???

will the carb give even hp distributed throughout the powerband?

im just getting tired of yfz's and 450 r's keeping up with me. (with my current mods, i can walk away (slowly...) from a stock yfz with haulers [with my sand stars] and the 450 r's with just paddles stay even with me, but i can take the holeshot on them)

i was considering suspension...but for 500ish, i can only do the front or the rear, and im pretty satisifed with the stock setup. (if anything i may buy a 120 dollar steering stabilizer, as i dont want to jump to new arms)

let me know what you guys think.

im also wondering where i can find a dyno...is there a service out on the web somehwere to help aid in the dyno-searching process? im from northern illinois, was hoping there was one semi-locally where i could fine tune my carb settings, and find my true HP numbers. usually when i see quads on the dyno they have flat track tires on them. Are TT tires needed to run on the dyno? if so, could i mount up some small car sized spare tires, or some trailer tires? (i assume its trying to get a flat traction surface is all, or is there more to it?)

Thanks guys, your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

if it were me i would go with the carb.( tm 45 or lectron 46) i noticed pretty big gains with my 45..if u plan on going with a big bore in the future a bigger carb is a must.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

what do the different big bore kits cost? i do NOT want to sacrifice ANY reliability at all.... do big bores have sealing issues? (thought i read a few posts awhile back about some of the big bores leaking a bit)

im only 18...so 2k or whatever they cost is probably WAY over my limit....so im looking to spend around 500 or so for a bit more seat of the pants power [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A big bore kit will end up costing you upward of 2K because you will also need a larger carb.

With you current mods and a budget of $500 I think the biggest bang for the buck would be Mr HP's Lectron 46HV setup ($450)

From there you could always go big bore later and use the same 46HV carb.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Seems to me that the 46HV will be your best bet however, the price will be more in the $700 range after the throttle/cable setup. If you use a twist, then maybe only about $600.

What type of riding do yo do. If you're looking at lots of tightly wooded trails, the 46HV may not be the carb for you. If you're looking for ALL OUT POWER then get your money together and take the plunge. For the tight woods riding, I'd look into the new 44HV that will be offered soon. I'm not sure about the time line on it. But if it's anything like the 46HV without the "suck shut" you're knee deep in cotton!

I probably wouldn't go to the suspension end, especially if your not racing. The stock setup is pretty awsome, even with my 320lbs testing it.

Maybe some sprockets, bars/risers, etc. etc. if the carbs run to much money. Those type of things can actually give you more speed via sheer comfort and control and make you just as fast in certain types of riding.

Congradulations on your future walk!

BigDaddy

Old 04-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Roost,

I noticed your in Dekalb. Im up in Richmond, only about an hour from you. This is just my 2 cents here, but its worth every penny. LOL If you have 500 bucks to spend, I would definately have the head ported. This would get you more gains than anything else. IN MY OPINION. I say in my opinion because Im sure someone will disagree. Seems to be alot of smart ***** in here lately. Especially since you already have Mr. Hp ported intake manifold. This will open up more ponies than the carb could ever do by itself. Keep in mind, you will need 50 of them bucks for new head and base gaskets. I know Mr. HP is expensive for head porting, but for good reason. But you can get this done lots of places, like Alba, Ron Woods, or any local racing shop for around 425.00. I do believe Alba is using a real good source for their machining needs these days. Like I said, just my .02 cents.

Gary

Old 04-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

if you want a lot of help for 650 you can get a nitrous set up, but it might be more like 750 when done. go with a 15hp shot it would be the most bang for the dollar i can think of.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

Ditch the SandStars and get some 22x11x10 9 paddle Haulers on .160 rims and 15/42 gearing.

Less than $400 minus whatever you can get out of the Stars.

There's a lot more to racing than carbs/pipes/electrical gizmos.