CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

80-90HP Dual Stage Nitrous w/8:1 Piston

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80-90HP Dual Stage Nitrous w/8:1 Piston

the head gasket is the weakest aside from clutch. the crank and rod can take some pounding. the cometic MLS gasket seems to work the best. i also use all eight 10mm studs torqued to 55-60ft-lbs. i couldn't get a good seal with any bolts.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

F$#$K Nitrous! Nitrous is for PUS#$#@S! that don't know how to build a real motor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Sorry Demon, no offense to you or Jeff. I just get sick of that Nitrous B.S. It is unreliable and anyone can do it, go and try R&Ding your own engine and coming up with ways for reliable H.P. instead of taking the easy way out. And before somebody comes out to argue with me on this I will tell you know to F- Off and I don't care about your opinion because you are wrong. You give me a couple of months and healthy pocket book and I will build you something that will PUNISH any other DS out there. Anyone want to throw up some cash? LATERZZ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2004, 02:53 PM
amd
Pro Rider

Changing all the bolts to 10 mm studs and using the same head gasket you are using would be the best way to go. I think the stock rotating assembly minus the piston would hold together fine. Have some cams ground for n20 and put some big selonoids on there, like maybe pro shot selonoids, and hold on!!

Old 05-03-2004, 02:57 PM
amd
Pro Rider

Damn punisher, it looks like you have had a bad experience with n20. Me personally I love it, the only thing I hate about it is filling the bottle, but a n20 motor will make some power. Just ask some super street guys, even though alot of them are switching to turbos, but that is a whole other thing...

Old 05-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

I agree Scooby. My whole motor, system and everything was going to be under $1500. With the extended swing arm and Tripps I figure I would have been at $2700. Most people have that just in a 720 kit with head work. I guarentee you there is not a 720 kit out there period that could run with a stock bore/NOS set-up that I explained above. Do that to a good 720 kit or simular and Jeff better look out. I had it set-up that the carb was ran off the stock fuel supply and the NOS system had its own independant hi-flow fuel supply line. I think with the proper piston, head work, fuel, gaskets, rings, timing, plugs,ect.....a 175hp machine could be made. I also agree, I dont think a stock bottom end on a Rappy could handle it. In fact I dont think I would even try it on a Rappy. Not with a 80-90 Hp shot by any means.

I found that article very interesting. One thing that was the opposite that I have always been told is Nitromethane and N2O wont mix. He states the exact opposite. The other thing that caught my attention is that the motor is squared up bore and stroke. Would make for fast revs and a very smooth power band. That rod they showd was just sick!!

Old 05-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

With all the latest fuel injection technology why can't somebody come up with microprocessor controlled nitrus injection system. Just think how easy HP could be if all you had to do is buy it, dial it in and go. Take all the guess work out of it.
The processor would monitor:

Throttle position
bottle pressure
Fuel pressure
exhaust oxygen
coolant temp
combustion temp
detontaion,

with this info it would precisely control the amount of NOS (or fuel) depending on the maximum amount of shot you requested.
It would automatically retard the timing as needed always giving the maximum advance without cooking the piston.
It would activate when it senses WOT once you initiate the system. Just flip a switch to turn it on and no more switches necessary.
Always a precise mixture for maximum HP plus no waisted NOS. No more watching bottle pressure or cooler blankets and best of all, safer for your engine. When the bottle gets too low it would just not work thereby preventing a flooded engine.
There is a fortune to be had if somebody would make it.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

there might be aftermarket fuel injection units with very limited control of NOS.

but if I was going to do this as cheap as possible, to make it more forgiving, i'd run alcohol. alcohol is less sensitive to jetting than gas. you can run alcohol real rich and not lose power. as rich as 4:1. then if you ever lean out a little due to various reasons (bottle pressure, etc) you might not detonate. this is what i do with the turbo - be sure i'm fat all the time and lean it out a bit with the handheld PC if i need to tune her up.

Old 05-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

80 hp shot i dont think the cases could hold up not to mention the head on a raptor

Old 05-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

that might have been kind of harsh on the nitrous, it takes a pair to hold on when that stuff hits[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2004, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThePunisher
F$#$K Nitrous! Nitrous is for PUS#$#@S! that don't know how to build a real motor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Sorry Demon, no offense to you or Jeff. I just get sick of that Nitrous B.S. It is unreliable and anyone can do it, go and try R&Ding your own engine and coming up with ways for reliable H.P. instead of taking the easy way out. And before somebody comes out to argue with me on this I will tell you know to F- Off and I don't care about your opinion because you are wrong. You give me a couple of months and healthy pocket book and I will build you something that will PUNISH any other DS out there. Anyone want to throw up some cash? LATERZZ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Whatever.......if it's SO easy why aren't there more quads out there with NOS systems??? I mean...we all like to go fast, RIGHT? My Baja is stock other than a CDI, pipe, and air filter. With my little NOS button I can definetly hold my own if not embarass some quads with cams, pistons, head work, etc. I can then close my little blue bottle, dis-arm the system, and I am basically back to stock and have all the reliability in the world. Don't know how internal engine mods affect reliability.....and probably won't find out. Don't need to. LOL As far as anyone doing it...hum...I would say that installing and tuning my NOS system was probably a little more complicated than installing a piston, cam, valve springs, etc
All I'm saying is if you don't like it there's no need in running it down. NOS is a well respected and proven power maker, and most of all, I like it, and it's COOL!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 80-90HP Dual Stage Nitrous w/8:1 Piston