CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

80-90HP Dual Stage Nitrous w/8:1 Piston

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80-90HP Dual Stage Nitrous w/8:1 Piston

I'm surprissed no-one has tried a dual stage nitrous system with an 80-90HP or higher shot using a low compression piston such as 8:1 or less and a close to stock motor, with ignition retard.

With the turbo that's similar to what I'm running.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Can you explain dual-stage? and don't say multiple, or more than one.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Dang it Scooby!!! LOL Actually that is exactly what I had desighned for the old quad when I was going to go to FSW2. I wasn't going 80-90 but I was going to go a 35 shot then a 25 shot on top. I was going to have a 10:1 piston though. There is some serious stuff to come into play when doing this and basically the motor would have to be prepped in a manner very simular to how your motor is setup. On of the big factors is hot spots in the motor. There is some work that has to be done to the piston and head surfaces. Timing and the propper pluggs and fuel are a deffinate. The higher the shot you go too, the more you have to adjust the spacing between your fuel jets and your NOS jets from what I have been told. I do think it is entirely possible to do a 80-90 shot and do it reliably, but you better know what your doing and prep for it all out, any short cuts and I guarentee you BOOOOOM. According to a a freind of mine who builds the Street racers on a professional level. 265HP is possible out of the stock cylinder size. The DS and a certain Honda car motor share exactly the same size cylinder and stroke. They are getting near that out of that motor per cylinder. Ok now that spilled the beans on some of my now near 2 years of research on this, I am going to go shoot myself!! Ok not really but.......

I think KingRaptor and Velocityraptor had dual stage setups at one time or another.

Basically a dual stage is when you have dual inlet fogger or 2 foggers with 2 systems. You shoot one then while shooting it, you bring on the second system, or stage. Then your shooting both at the same time. It can be done by seperate switches or by a timing module. I was going to do the switch so that I could do only when I needed it. you dont have to have 2 bottles to do it either but on a run like Sand Mtn Nev, you would probably burn up a near full 2.5lb bottle per run on a 60 shot or higher.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

wouldn't take tomany runs to figure out who was fast and who was running one fogger[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]the way it hits when all things are right(bottle pressure) at 25 and extra sounds dangerous[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

check out these ponnies per cylinder:http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0202tur_extremeedge/

Old 05-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

there are many bikes already doing this

Old 05-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DollarBillz
there are many bikes already doing this
I've never seen or heard of any. who/where are they?

I said 80-90HP Shot not 80-90HP total.

Old 05-03-2004, 01:04 PM
amd
Pro Rider

that is going to take a well prepared motor for that much cylinder pessure. 8:1 piston would be the best bet, low compression motors are more forgiving when the cylinder pressure gets high and detonation occurrs. If you can keep it from detonating and supply it with enough fuel it would make some power. It would be best to have a seperate fuel system and a fuel pump for the nitrous, and the motor also, and run at least 112 octane fuel. It is not that difficult to do, I give the motor in my mustang alot of nitrous, and it holds together fine, but you have to take the precautions and prepare the motor for alot of cylinder pressure. Supply it with enough fuel and keep the timing backed off and it will scream....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The DS motor is so strong that you could put together a low cost bolt-on kit (w/ piston) and make 120HP without spending time and money building the motor at all. I don't think it would work on a stock Raptor.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:17 PM
amd
Pro Rider

Yea the rotax is very strong, but so is detonation. If it detonates bad the weakest part of the motor is going to fail, normally its the head gasket. How many head gaskets have you blown scooby?. Your making alot of boost, and you have taken the precautions to keep the head gasket sealed. So if the head gasket wont fail, it will take the next weakest part, like a rod or crank. The best thing is to just make sure it doesnt detonate..

yea and I dont think I would want to try it on a stock raptor. lol

Quick Reply: 80-90HP Dual Stage Nitrous w/8:1 Piston