CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

please list any/all problems on your 04/05

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please list any/all problems on your 04/05

i am 50% wanting to get a new 05 ds....25% wanting a different quad (dont let me do that guys...lol) and the other 25..well just wants to save cash and keep the time- "bomb"

i saw that "post your brokent parts" thread, but i know most all of those are from 00-03ish and only a handful were newer quads.
If you new (04/05) guys could post any problems you have that would great.... If any of the problems are the same as mine i may just end up keeping what i have...
i still havnt finished tearing down to see what my most recent parts bill will be... (starter or one of the gears is going out...starting to free-spool on me) if its not too much, and there is a decent list of BIG problems for the new ones, ill probably keep mine...

also if you guys dont mind, could you post your final out the door price and your state? (i know it varies depending on supply/demand for your area.)

Again, sorry for the mirrored thread, but the input is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems here with my 04 Baja X. Paid $5,999 OTD from Xtreme Motorsports in Twin Falls Idaho. I live in California however where dealers are asking upwards of $7,000 before taxes.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I bought mine at the same time as DSengineer and pick his up a brought it back from him.

The only problem i have had which really isnt even a problem is the little rubber mounts on the bottom of the Dash were cracking so i got 2 new ones under warranty.

Other than that its been great. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Sean

Old 08-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

No problems with the 04 Baja that i've had.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

seems the new ones have had many improvements and should be fairly trouble free. i have had more problems from the honda's than the bomb. so if you plan another quad, it would seem like you could be getting more repairs. one thing i noticed was when we did the stroker in the honda the bearings on the crank were of question , well the first thought was just get a new bearing , the sad part was there was no such thing it required a hole new crank. seems the more people look into the repairs of the bomb you can track down the parts at the local parts house, things like fan have been found for 60 dollars dealer 175. rear axle bearing local napa has them, the water pump shaft seals are availibe at napa half price, and i would bet if you did some research you could find those starter gears at a parts house somewhere. much cheaper than the dealer.

Old 08-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

I had a headlight bulb burn out and the stock rev limiter is set too low, but everyone complains about that. I had a 400ex and loved it but after I got my DS I never looked back. I would recommend getting one especially if you are 6 ft plus tall!!

Old 08-20-2004, 04:35 PM
amd
Pro Rider

Only problem I have had with my 04x is a few oil pressure switches. I think most of that was my fault when I washed it, other then that I havent had any problems at all. It has been the best atv I have owned. I paid $6200 otd in the Kansas CIty, Missouri area.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

how many of you guys have done mods to your 04/05? (i was thinking if i got another i would leave it alone..) the only problem i have had that was self induced, was clutch springs...ended up costing me 100 bucks in parts... but i assume that is becauset the springs put so much tension on the shafts...

i was thinking id do pipe/cdi/filter and leave it at that... (and with the extra stock HP it should be pretty good)

Jmac*- checked out your pics, i forgot how SWEET your DS looked! did you buy the orange plastic from bomb? what did it cost? i would love to do an ALL black quad...but am afraid the plastics will look so trashed in a matter of 2-3 woods rides, so may end up buying orange plastic if i get a new one...
Did you powdercoat/paint the rims/arms? are the arms on the 04/05's the darker frame color, or the old gray color? (cant remember from when i saw it in person) if you had it PC'd how much did it cost for everything? if its paint, does it chip at all?

Old 08-20-2004, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

The only problem so far with my '05 DS 650 Viper is that the neutral light on the dash quit working, so I need a new bulb. I paid $5499 OTD for it, in New Mexico. Mods so far are polished aluminum ITP T9 wheels, 22" Pure Sport Bandit XCT tires, and a polished aluminum HMF slip-on. I have ordered AC Racing pro-peg nerfs, but haven't got them yet.

Old 08-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

it must just be my quad.... (problem-wise) lol

I saw the pic atop sand mtn.... how often is it that busy? we went out west riding for a week (3 days at sand mtn.) and maybe between all 3 days we only saw 50 vehicles total....
saw jackets on, so colder temps more popular? (it was pretty darn hot...lol)

Quick Reply: please list any/all problems on your 04/05