CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

It won't go no more... any advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It won't go no more... any advice ?

I let my DS sit for about 6 months ,becuase we had a baby. When I went to start it...no go. So I cleaned the carb inside and out.
I removed all jets, needles, and replaced the gas.

After alot of tinkering it now runs, but and its a big BUTT. It idles only when the choke is on ,but when I hit the gas it dies. If I let it warm up and try to turn off the choke it dies... if I rev it it dies.

However, if I spray carb cleaner or starter fluid in the carb slightly I can get it to rev up. BUTT then it backfires out the exhaust and carb. while I hold the high rev.

To be honest it acts like it isn't getting enough gas. I don't think the jetting is off ,because it ran fine before I let it sit.

Some input... it has never had a valve job.

Help I need some help... otherwise I will have to take it to the shop[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Disconnect the fuel line from the carb to see if the gas flow freely to the carb. I know if I let mine sit for more than a month it does the same thing, but after it runs for about ten minutes it clears out. Also you might want to try some carb cleaner in your fuel for 1 tank full.

Old 10-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

I drained all of the old gas out and replaced it with fuel and addative and still no luck

Old 10-20-2004, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Mousie nest in the air intake or plugged air cleaner. I'm not demeaning you by suggesting this, but sometimes even the smallest things can be overlookesd

Old 10-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Range Rover

the air intake is clear and I even cleaned it a little. At this piont I have disconected the cleaner.

It is also kept in a clean garage ,so no mice

Old 10-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Trailblazer

Shadow, was the gas in really bad shape? Last December, I inherited a TRX200 that sat for almost a year. When I tried to drain the gas, it looked like syrup coming out of the bowl drain. The inside of the carb was sticky and the main jet had some orange stuff on it. I cleaned the jet, float, needle valve etc. and it still took a second cleaning and a pint of Berryman's B12 to get it to idle. After the first gallon of gas mixed with another pint of Berryman's it began to act better. After the first tank was run out, it has run great. You may also need to drain the tank again and try running gas with no additive (if you're like me, you may have overdone the additive).

Old 10-20-2004, 01:55 AM
Range Rover

thanks for the tip....

The gas was not that bad... I just used it in my lawn mower. I did however add carb cleaner to the gas in there. I will try diluting it and see if that helps.

thanks again

Old 10-20-2004, 03:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My 2001 was cranky a couple of times after too much sitting. Once I get it fired up and let it run for a while it all clears up. I'd bet if you run enough gas though it, it'll get back to running how it was before it sat for so long. How good is your battery? Try turning on your light with the engine off and on, see what happens. PErhaps the battery is messed up / dying...

Old 10-20-2004, 04:01 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with blackhawk on the batt. also try new plugs if you havent allready.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a gummed up carb to me ....

When you cleaned the carb did you just take out the needle & jets and clean the individualy? What did you do to clean out the ports in the carb? By your descirption it sounds like there are still some ports and passages that still may be clogged. Your comments as to how it runs when the choke is used or not used leads me to think this. Not only that but this one is a long shot... the float could be out of whack and even taking on fuel inside the floats thus causing more problems , but like I said, its a long shot!
I know my around the roll-away in a garage but when it comes to gummed up carbs I sent it to the pros ( not a dealer mind you ).... It was the best 50.00 I spent two years ago.

Quick Reply: It won't go no more... any advice ?