CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

air fuel sensor/ O2 probe mount location??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 02:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air fuel sensor/ O2 probe mount location??

I am planning to mount an o2sensor and gauge tomorrow and need to know where is the best place to mount the sensor? I am a good welder and mounting the bung is no problem just not sure where to put it . I have a graydon full system and was thinking just after the collector would be good because of the larger diameter of pipe vs. one of the smaller header pipes. Is this too far back for an o2 sensor??? the display is one from dynotune digital/numerical readout. hope to have better tuning ability just did a bunch of mods and think it is running too lean--plugs still clean white after about 30 mins riding after good break in of new 11.5-1 piston and head/intake porting web 109s 195 main and 50 pilot stock needle bottom clip k&n no lid. any suggestions??

Old 10-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

Hey D-S, I put in the large tube just aft of where they come together. I tried to keep them as far up as reasonable. Its important to keep the sensor heated so that it reads correctly.

See my pics for location.... good luck!

BTW.. 11.5 compression and ported head. Hows that combo doin for ya? Did you do it yourself or have the work done locally?

Old 10-28-2004, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

I thought it was suposed to be mounted about 1 or 2" from the the head to read corectly. I dont have one of these. I just remeber asking the same question when I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

PROZACK-head port work done by kenz cycle tech (mesa), shim unders and web cams and squish from tvi, intake porting (good job) portmatched to head by local shop--PCP offroad on 32nd and greenway. sofar piston head combo seems like a winner. still tryin to dial it all in. hope a/f gauge will help. with the cost of dyno time seemes like the way to go.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Well whada ya know .. My DS is going in Monday to Ken for a 12:1 & port work to the head. (No cams or monster valves yet , Ill have to wait till next summer)Then hes going to run it on the dyno to get it tuned. cant wait !

What carb are ya runnin?

Old 10-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bus.. , I thought about that too before i installed it but after thinking about it I have never seen an O2 sensor on any car or truck that close to the head. Now Im not saying Im right, It just seemed like the proper way. I also wanted to make sure I got the sample of gas from both sides even tho there was only one piston and one carb.

What can i say ... trial and error ? !

Old 10-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

O2 senser needs around 600 deg to work if it is a single wire. so at the y it will be ok

Old 10-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The website I recieved mine from says just after the collector. This way it reads both headers etc.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Prozack
Hey Bus.. , I thought about that too before i installed it but after thinking about it I have never seen an O2 sensor on any car or truck that close to the head. Now Im not saying Im right, It just seemed like the proper way. I also wanted to make sure I got the sample of gas from both sides even tho there was only one piston and one carb.

What can i say ... trial and error ? !
your install is nice and clean looking for sure. it makes sense to read both ports to. maybe one of thees days I will borrow the shops infrared thermometer, and do a testing for fun.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Bus.. I have always wondered if the setup was accurate or not and hoped i would get a chance to find out. My ride goes in monday for a 12:1 plus port and polish work to the head. Also porting of the intake plus the portmatch to the head. After all that its in for the dyno tune. when I get it back Ill put the O2 system back on and see how it compares to a properly tuned bike. Ill post the results when I get it back.

Quick Reply: air fuel sensor/ O2 probe mount location??