CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Installing HP-Research mods this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing HP-Research mods this weekend

I'm installing the HP-Research Lectron 46V, race ported intake, Moose throttle, and an HMF this weekend. Are there any hints or tips you can offer or is it pretty straight forward?
I'm also dropping a tooth in the front. I run 22x11x10 9-paddle Extreme Haulers on .160's.

Should I still run 91 octane or drop to 89?

Wish me luck...

DHO

Old 11-11-2004, 02:57 PM
sam
Pro Rider

One WARNING about this package you got and installing, the end result after your first ride may result in perma-grin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] fair warning.

Ok enough farting around the only thing is the routing of your carb cable, from what I read from others you want to keep the bends to a minimal. some one needs to chim in on this cuz I think its been a issue.

Good Luck
Sam

Old 11-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, does anyone have an opinion on the K&N vs. the No Toil foam filters?

Old 11-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: sam
One WARNING about this package you got and installing, the end result after your first ride may result in perma-grin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] fair warning.

Ok enough farting around the only thing is the routing of your carb cable, from what I read from others you want to keep the bends to a minimal. some one needs to chim in on this cuz I think its been a issue.

Good Luck
Sam
HPR is supposed to email me a pict of the best cable routing.

I'm hoping to suprise a couple of my buddys this Thanksgiving (Raptor and YFZ - both Trinity piped). They don't know I'm adding some 'stuff' so it should be some fun. They'll see the slip on and think that's all.

My first goal is to beat the Raptor. We were pretty close last season although he usually got the better of me. (Shooting the hills in Glamis)
The YFZ beat me pretty bad up Olds, although I wasn't geared correctly cause I was hittin' the rev limiter going up (pretty sure it was hittin' in 3rd and bogging in 4th ??). Anyway, I'm just hoping to stay close to him. I'm also giving up 40lbs to him so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You are gonna love the extra power.

Did you get heavy duty clutch springs? I would suggest that before your trip. Hate to see the clutch slipping on you with the added power.

Now. . . Piston, Cams and Valve springs. Those adders are truely an eye opening experience!

Old 11-11-2004, 03:42 PM
sam
Pro Rider

I would keep a 14 tooth on hand to, It will really help on the short runs get the rpms up faster launches harder. there only $15 from rocky mt atv. and it only takes a few min. to swap out. I gaind a whole second in 300' dirt drags by going from a 15t and stock 20s Ohtsu to 14t and 22s Maxxis 4 snows. I beat a Piped and jeted yfz 450 3 ota 4 drags. its a holeshot thing Practice your starts!!
Let us know the out come!!
Sam

Old 11-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately drop to a 15T front sprocket. I run the same tire/rim combo as you and the stock 16T was just to tall. The 15T will allow you to start in 2nd gear from a complete stop. Bring your RPM's up to about 4500-5000, lean forward and drop the clutch. Speaking of clutch have you beefed up your clutch springs yet? If you haven't I would recommend adding a set of RWR 60% springs ASAP.

Give us all an update when you get back.

Old 11-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had asked Randall about them. He didn't recommend them at this point although I've seen many of you with them.

Are the springs something I can easily change while I'm on the trip? I may just take your advice and do them now.
I was planning on going with the Barnett clutches. Should I run the RWR 60's with the Barnett clutches?

Old 11-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok...that's 2 that have recommended new springs. I get it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: sam
I would keep a 14 tooth on hand to, It will really help on the short runs get the rpms up faster launches harder. there only $15 from rocky mt atv. and it only takes a few min. to swap out. I gaind a whole second in 300' dirt drags by going from a 15t and stock 20s Ohtsu to 14t and 22s Maxxis 4 snows. I beat a Piped and jeted yfz 450 3 ota 4 drags. its a holeshot thing Practice your starts!!
Let us know the out come!!
Sam
How's the 14T for duning? Am I gonna be shifting a lot more or can I leave it in 3rd a bit more with a wider powerband?

You're not kiddin' on the starts. I was always the kind to be sure the start was "even" but I think in doing that I was actually leaving a bit later. No more Mr. Nice Guy.
Those lighter guys are definetely fast on the whoops. I'm not too bad either but I do need to close that little gap too.

Quick Reply: Installing HP-Research mods this weekend