CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

is the ds650 a good trail quad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the ds650 a good trail quad?

The trails have to be very tight before the size really becomes an issue. The suspension plushness will keep you from getting tired. I went from a LT500 to a DS and can't believe how much more energy I had at the end of the day. The '04 Baja's suspension is even better. The rougher it gets the smoother the ride.

Old 11-13-2004, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

I know this is going to stir some folks up. I used to ride my DS650 exclusively in the trails and sand dunes. Then, after I beefed up the 400EX, I rode it exclusively for about 4 months to get used to the change. Wow, what a difference! I then went back to the DS and found that I no longer have any desire to ride the DS in the trails at all. I know, I know ... there are plenty of folks really happy with the DS in the trails. But, take it from a guy that has both, a 400EX and a DS650, the 400EX will spank on any DS in the trails. Its lighter, narrower, easier to control and much more forgiving. Beef any 400EX to a 440 and you've got a serious trail quad. I would say that would also follow true with the YFZ, Predator, & 450R.

Dont get me wrong, the DS is a fine quad for many other types of riding.

Stir, Stir, Stir!

Old 11-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
I know this is going to stir some folks up. I used to ride my DS650 exclusively in the trails and sand dunes. Then, after I beefed up the 400EX, I rode it exclusively for about 4 months to get used to the change. Wow, what a difference! I then went back to the DS and found that I no longer have any desire to ride the DS in the trails at all. I know, I know ... there are plenty of folks really happy with the DS in the trails. But, take it from a guy that has both, a 400EX and a DS650, the 400EX will spank on any DS in the trails. Its lighter, narrower, easier to control and much more forgiving. Beef any 400EX to a 440 and you've got a serious trail quad. I would say that would also follow true with the YFZ, Predator, & 450R.

Stir, Stir, Stir!
I agree. The 440ex is a great trail quad.

Old 11-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

The quotes below are exactly why I bought my EX.
I've been upside down, stuck in trees, off the side of a cliff (small cliff), Stuck except no way to go other than backwards the way i came. Trust me, the DS will trail ride and do it fast. But you will pay for it more times than not.
You can have the same trouble in the trails on any quad this is true. But fewer for me on the 440[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Originally posted by: couchonwheels
Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol

Stir, Stir, Stir!
I agree. The 440ex is a great trail quad.

Old 11-13-2004, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

They are in front of me. I am 5'7" 140lbs . If I had to do it all over again, I would still get the DS. Especially now in 05.
I sat on one yesterday and it seemed like it would be a bit more nimble.

Old 11-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

Well, my 05' is not much wider than my Bud's TRX450R, and we just got back from trail/hill riding in a place called Inverness,Fl. Tons of riding area, and some unbelievable hills, 30,40,50,60,70ft monsters! Very steep angles with hardly any runway to get a good running start. Very tight trail riding with a great mix of some hairy hills in between. Some areas we had to go down a huge hill, and dismount the bikes so we could turn around and go back up. It was real fun. But, my bike is not that much wider than the TRX and the only real difference i noticed, was when we had to dismount and turn em' around by hand, man that B%$#@! is heavy when your 4hrs of riding tired !!!!
Lol, but really, that was my biggest gripe. As for the ride, his TRX is rough, real bouncy and darty compared to my DS. I could go almost twice as fast and feel comfortable at that speed. The DS just feels so under control and balanced. I don't know how else to say it. The whoops, he was eating my dust. I could fly through those. So, in my opinion, the only real thing that would stop me from suggesting a new DS to anyone, is there size. My buddy that owns the TRX wanted a DS. But i talked him out of it. He is 5'10/195lbs. When he rides my DS, he doesn't like it, he says it's too big and heavy feeling. I'm 6'2/240lbs. I like riding his bike, but only if it's hill climbing or really tight & smooth MX tracks, causes that baby can turn and slide good. Size is the biggest question as to what Quad you should ride, i think. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 400 ex as well and I must say I enjoy riding it on the trails and it is a great bike all around. But at the end of the day I don't feel as beat up on my DS.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Teebone56, where do you ride at? We should meet up for a ride.[/quote]

We are planning a trip to Pismo next weekend the20th and then Hollister one of the days over Thanksgiving if you are interested in one of those places drop me an email[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Or maybe you know of a different place for the long weekend.