CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS Guru's, I need your help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS Guru's, I need your help!!!

Took the DS out for a ride today, and out of the blue, it started sputtering really bad. When I stopped with the clutch in, it would rev to the rev limiter. Once I tried to move again, it would cut out something fierce once it got above 2000 rpm's. Then the tach would bounce all over the place. I thought maybe the switch on the clutch lever had a bad connection. I tried that, but this wasn't the problem. I had 3 miles to get home, so I rode it under the 2000 rpm's. I just replaced the tail light and that burned out right away. So I tried to turn the lights off and it killed the machine. I tried the low beam with the same result. I had to keep it on high to keep the machine running.

I've got a feeling there is a bare wire shorting out some where. Any ideas where i should start looking?

Thanks for any and all help.

P.S., all wasn't in vain. I put the DS in the garage, fired up the V-Force and finished my fun for the afternoon.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

This is just a wild guess but the first place I would start to look would be the battery. Go over the connections real well. I mean clean them REAL good, not just a quick glance. With your light trouble it sounds like the voltage is spiking to me. Might be a good idea to do a SG on each cell of the battery also.
Do you like your DS better than your V in the sand? Just wondered because I just bought a V.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Definately sounds like you've got a voltage rectifier problem. It's the the little unit at the back fender and it takes the ac voltage generated by the stator and converts it to dc voltage that your quad uses. They run about $100 or so. If you have a buddy with a ds I'd borrow his just to make sure. There are aftermarket CDI and Rectifier units on ebay.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

agree on it being a voltage rectifier problem.

Make sure its got a good plug connection and isn't full of mud.

This auction ends in three hours. Rectifier

Not sure if an 01 and 03 use the same rectifier.

--

Old 01-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

I just replaced the cheap factory battery with an Odyssey PC 545. My concern is it revs fine with the clutch in, but once I let it out, it cuts out. I had 5 miles on the machine today before this started. I will double check the connection to the voltage rectifier. I did have it disconnected momentarily a couple weeks back. I might not have gotten it back on right.

DoctorTurbo,

as far as which I like better, each has their place. For the all out, brutal seat of the pants acceleration, comfort, and overall handling, I'll take the DS. For trails, ergonomics, wheelies, and shear fun factor, the V is the machine to have. I don't ride in sand very much, but if your talking sand dunes, the DS would have been the better buy IMO. Don't get me wrong, the V is a great machine, but for me the DS would be the Duner of my choice. Would I buy either machine again, you bet I would. My oldest son is now 6' 2" (I'm only 5' 11" on a good day). So the DS or the V would give the room he needs to fit the machine. Oh , and he's only 14. And to think manufacturer's recommend he rides a 90cc? Right, you bet!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Range Rover

help me with the visual.

with the bike in neutral, and the clutch in, it runs fine?

with the bike in neutral, and the clutch out, it stumbles/stalls?

tach all over, blowing bulbs -- sure sounds like a rectifier/voltage regulator module.

why do you got a feeling there is a bare wire shorting out some where?? Did something not got back together 100% like the factory built it?

--

Old 01-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Thanks for the candid review LEP7MM. I'm 6' and 190 and I felt silly sitting on anything other than the DS or the V at the dealer. I guess I just like big quads?
I sure would like to have the DS's suspension on my V. Just felt much nicer in the showroom than my V, let along on a rough trail. I mostly ride tight and steep trails so I needed reverse and I really liked the belt deal at my age. I've shifted all my life and now I guess I'm old and lazy. I agree with you, they are both nice quads.
Don't you just love those government recomendations for quad sizing???!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] I wonder how many kids that they have hurt by undersizing the quads they recomend to ride?
Good luck with your problem, I don't think it will be serious.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

ds650ratrider,

yes, you are right, with the quad in neutral or sitting with the clutch in, it revs fine. It's only when I start moving that it cuts out at about 2k rpm's.

The reason I suspect a bare wire is I have found a couple that have been rubbing on the frame. Turned out they were routed too tight and had slack somewhere else that I could pull through to ease the tension. I was riding in Northern MN with PreddyFast nad while he was eating some dust [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] he noticed that my tail light was flickering on/off. Then eventually it burned out. The new bulb wasn't in there for more than the 5 miles that I rode yesterday and now it's burned out again.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

like the guys said it

sounds like a bad regulator check the voltage at the battary with the motor at around 3- 4000 rpm

you will probably find its high or bouncing around