CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Message for '05 Ds owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Message for '05 Ds owners

Just to let you guys know I have tried every single manufacturer that exists trying to find skid plats, and new rims for my '05 Ds and they do not make them yet. Certain company's do make the a-arm plates, and the belly pan, but no swingarm plates yet. PRM told me that it will be around 3 months and they will have them out, and AC racing said the same. As for the rims every single manufacturer said the same thing. Bombardier changed the size of the hub bolts due to the old one's breaking and they are now bigger. I talked to one of the head tech guys from OMF and ITP and they both said that they are in the process of testing rims for the larger bolts just to make sure that the bolts don't affect the integrity of the rim, and that the rims should be available in about 2 months.

Just a heads up guy's. Because the stock rims that come on a Viper are pure sh$t. I bent a rim so bad that it will not hold air just by hitting another ATV tire at about 10 mph. So I am going to buy a set of ITP SS's and drill them out myself just to see if will work, because I am not willing to pay for a pair of stock Bombardier rims. I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

That is weird. I have an 04 and thought the 04 & 05 hubs were the same. I run the douglas 190's for 00-04 and they fit right on.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

DoneCrashed,
I thought the actual stud size is the same on an '05 DS 650 as it is on any model year. Although I suppose it could be a millimeter bigger, even though it looks the same to me. I have NEVER heard of a wheel stud breaking on a DS 650 either, so I don't know who fed you that line of BS, but I would not put too much stock in it. What Bombardier did do for mid-year 2004 is change the hub bolt pattern, and it is now 4/144 instead of 4/143, so "technically" none of the wheels for an early 2004 or older DS will fit the late 2004 and 2005 models. You can very easily modify the older wheels to fit though, because you only need to file 1/2 mm off the outside of each bolt hole in the wheel to have them fit like they were made for it.

The front hub bolt pattern of 4/144 is the same as a Honda 400EX, so you can find front wheels that will fit a 2005 DS without modification, but the rear hub bolt pattern of 4/144 is unique to the 2005 DS, and you will have to do a little filing with a rat-tail file for an aftermarket set of wheels to fit. Take a look at the ITP T-9 wheels I have on my DS, in my photo page. They fit fine after less than five minutes with a file on each wheel.

And I suspect your stock wheel bent like a tin can because the stock tires have tissue paper thick sidewalls. A real set of tires from ITP, Maxxis, or PureSport will fix the wheel bending problem. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Just want to let you know I have been waiting for a swing arm skid from PRM since spring for my 04, they keep telling me it would be a month or 2 they were working on making nerf bars now. I think that was in june or july. that was the last time I called them. Sounds like they are telling you the same thing. O yea the first time I called they told me they were having a hard time getting 04 650, they needed a 04 to make the plate, but know one would loan them a 04 to use. I think I got that response twice and then the nerf reponse twice also.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

better yet just got off the phone with PRM because I really want one, they told me they have no idea when they will make them. LOL that just sucks !!! two model years out and going on the third . there product is great but that is about all the good I can say about them.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Trailblazer

hey there donecrashed
there is a company in australia called b&b aluminium and they do all types of guards for all types of quads they can also do made to measure if you have longer a arms or longer swingarms and there are awesome guards made from aircraft guard aluminium my freind is a dealer for them, they would possible the best brand of guards downunder

chec ya aussiedslover

Old 01-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Take a look at the ITP T-9 wheels I have on my DS, in my photo page. They fit fine after less than five minutes with a file on each wheel.
I had to do the same thing. I just figured ITP sent the wrong wheels....

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Outerlimit, I went through a local dealer, who is pretty good and he had to call several different rim manufacturers and that was the end result. He was told that the lugs had changed sizes. I'm a little worried now because he just ordered me 4 rims and told me that it wasn't a big deal, he would just drill them out a little bit. I hope that they are rights.

Baja, I couldn't believe it when I read your post. That is the exact same thing that I was told about trying to find a '05 so that they could build the plates for them. They make such awesome products and I really hate to see them start lying about things. I have there front Baja bumper, rear Baja grab bar, and bought there skids for my girls Z400. Every single product fit perfectly and was really built solid, thats a shame.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Hez
Range Rover

I have an 05 DS and i have a swingarm skid plate on it. It is made by ProArmor. I had to modify it a little but after that it bolted right up. A GREAT investment!!! saved my swingarm quite a few times already. If you want a little more info on how i did it i'd be happy to share.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

I also run Douglas 190's and I have not had a problem on my 04[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]