CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What modds do I need on a DS 650 for 75HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What modds do I need on a DS 650 for 75HP

Hi I am interested in hopping up a DS 650 Baja or possibly a V Force from what I have ridden it seems 75hp can be obtained from both machines although the Bomb is a better machine after the modds. I would like to know what modds are needed to get the DS up to that point and roughly how much it would it cost. Thank you all for your help!!!

Old 01-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Bart is right, get back home where you belong. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: alltoys
Hi I am interested in hopping up a DS 650 Baja or possibly a V Force from what I have ridden it seems 75hp can be obtained from both machines although the Bomb is a better machine after the modds. I would like to know what modds are needed to get the DS up to that point and roughly how much it would it cost. Thank you all for your help!!!
Its certainly possible to get as high as 75hp with the Mr HP 730 cylinder. Get some cams, piston, carb, exhaust, CDI and your there. KMS Has a pretty cool turbo kit with fuel injection that will also get you there. Otherwise ....... NOS! Lots and lots of NOS!

Old 01-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Barttletracing, Shotgun,
What are 2 doing down here, lol. I am going to build a 300 foot drag machine not sure if I want to build one from a sled engine or try to work with an already proven quad. I have pushed my Prairie to the max and would like to keep it for messing general messing around. I have heard that the DS will kick the V's butt, although Ray has an impressive V Force without the addition of Nos or alcohol very close to 100 hp. So far the V is less expensive to get big HP if the DS can get the same HP with the same amount of money I would tend to go with the DS just for ergonomics. It is a better all-around machine except it doesn't have reverse.

I was at the bike show in Calgary this last weekend I was with my buddy who I built his A arms for his BF. I showed 4 ignitions that I have adapted for the Kawi over the years plus 2 new ones that are not on the shelves. One I had on a V Force for the 12 hour race I attended in October in Iowa Bartlletracing was there he helped KTM with choke cable problems. The other one is a fully programble state of the art cdi definitely something for the abid modding fanatic, lol.

Something I am also working on is a twin cylinder 1300cc Rincon. I have welded together the second cylinder over the Xmas holidays all I have to do now is weld it up, do a line bore for the crank, install in into the adapted frame of the Rincon. I still have to work out an ignition for the new motor that might take longer than the motor, lol. This year is going to be fun!!!!

Oregondunepatrol,
A turbo I might try to stay away from I had one on my Prairie I found there was to much lag on the bottom end that might have been my fault but from what experience I have I would rather stick with the big bore. Mind you I have talked with a Bomb guy he told me there is an 800cc top end from Bomb that will bolt right on to the DS motor. Rotax engines are notorious for being cassette engines being able to switch from one to the other. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the replys this is just a thought I want to research before I go gung ho.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

i think your going to have to dig a little deeper than a cylinder,carb, and exaust...u deffently going to have to have some head work done...jmo,but to get 75 h.p (on a true dyno) u have to have a pretty good combonation of parts that work well together if your going to get done on an all motor 730 or 720....

Old 01-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

check out this scrambler pushing 125hp with nos,thats what id be building if all i was doing is drag racing.here

Old 01-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

there is an 800cc top end from Bomb that will bolt right on to the DS motor
Rotax engines are notorious for being cassette engines being able to switch from one to the other
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A Pami 760 with race head, cams, dual FCR's will get you 75.

I would think a HP Research 800 with a ported head and bigger valves along with cams and their carb of choice would also get you there as I would think a TVI 770 with ported head and bigger valves and cam and carb would.

The other way to go would be a KMS Turbo.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

Just a note here,

All of these choices are great, but I noticed no one had mentioned any $$$$$$$ yet. To realistically get 75 hp at the rear wheels, your going to need around 6k or more, and at least another 500 for tuning. (dyno, jetting, dyno jetting). These things dont happen over night, they are built. The turbo with efi is deffinatley the cheaper way to go, if you like a turbo along with its quirks. But once again, tune, tune, tune.

Just my 2 cents,

Gary

Old 01-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

6 K worth of goodies to get at least 75 hp this is at the crank most likely 60hp to the rear wheels would be extreme.

Thewayout420,
I am thinking it would be easier and less expensive to build a drag quad from a sled engine. When I was out at Nova Scotia this last fall I had seen 2 drag quads with 800cc sled engines on NOs. These were a scream to watch especailly in the low 4 seconds in 300 feet that was in mud too.

Quick Reply: What modds do I need on a DS 650 for 75HP