CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

tm 45 or the new lectron 44mm power jet

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tm 45 or the new lectron 44mm power jet

I have had my Lectron 46hv carb for a year and a half with no problems. Back when I purchased the carb I didn't see any posts about the lectron problems. I clean my air filter after every ride, while I'm doing that I pull the three top screws on the carb & shot some cleaner in the slide. It takes a extra 10mins on top of cleaning my air filter.

Most problems on the lectron are from carb adjusting & how the cable is run. Cleaning the carb is a must like any carb. Also using the 90 degree bend cable like the banshee is not good on a lectron. IMO.

I'm fixen to put a second lectron on my second used DS I purchased two months ago.

Again JMO.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

azsand

I sure hav'nt ridden your part of the country as im at the other side of the atlantic from you in scotland. you must have some real dusty conditions if you are getting crap past your filter, what sort of filters are you running, as a local dealer/race builder, to me told me he would no longer recommend k and n as he was seeing them wasting four strokes in a couple of years with the fine dust from motocross tracks in summer. They never noticed on the two strokes as they got rebuilt a lot more often anyway. So now run foam.
I dont know about the different springs for these carbs as i just got what i got when i bought it used from Dsaholic.

but i would be sure that there must be a filter out there that will take the crap out of the air no matter how fine it is alll be it at the expense of flow , Nothing you can do about them choking up though.

I would be interested to hear if it is k and n you use as i still like them but have shyed away from them after the dealer advice.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

On my ds's i use K&N on both my smaller bikes we used uni foams and we still have a tad of silt in the throat of the carb.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] we have been playing with a new filter AFE and it seems to be a tad better but time will tell.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

As most of you know, I've commented on this very same issue probably 30 or 40 times. I've had individuals emailing me trying to tear down Eric and I've had people fueling that fire. I've had both, and I've raced and trailed both. I've only heard of a few stuck wide open issues, but I think that was due to the needle being set too far up in the slide. The problem with the Lectron is not a stuck open problem, it's a stuck-shut or suck-shut problem. Right off the bottom, I mean RIGHT off the bottom the slide tends to be suck shut form the air moving against the slide and putting pressure on the body of the carb. I've talked with Randal about this, and it is there. Some have it worse than others, and those with twist have even less of a perceived problem. This can be almost entirely muted if you set your lectron to idle real high.

Hightower has ALWAYS posted fairly, and with great respect. I wouldn't call him pro or negative anything. He's a good man, and that alone makes him a value to this forum.

Let's also remember that the TM45 has a stuck wide open problem sometimes as well. That said, it's not the carbs fault, it's more of a seat problem. While easily fixed, it does get your attention and makes you scratch your head for a minute or two. The thumb throttle tension issue is a real BEAR on the TM, but it easily fixed, and yes Hightower was one of the leaders in the fix.

I would absolutely agree that if you want an all around performer, get the TM. If you want your hair on fire and dune/race 90% of the time. GET THE LECTRON - SICK POWER!

Lastly, this forum in particular has had it's growing pains but has always been one of the friendliest forums on the net. Let's keep it that way, and try to remember that as men we owe each other more than pulling from the hip. We owe each other respect. Eric called me or accused me of being "retarded" in a post a couple of months back....... Obviously a low point for him, but I owed him an opportunity for a mistake. I moved on, and still haven't bashed him. He's a good guy, and one that has done a great deal for our community.

This is nothing more than the Holley Vs. Carter conversation. To each, his own..... and his own is all that he'll run. Until, of course he switches.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

Big daddy

I quite agree and feel that all the guys on here contribute by simply telling there story as its happend to them, I have been helped out by hightower and many others , And hope i dont come across as argumentative, I use this forum as its a great information exchange so its all good as far as im concerned.

Azsand Would you say with your experiance of k and n vs foam that you are getting better filtration with the foam and if so what size of particals would you say can pass the k and n ie talc , caster sugar ect. I have just ordered a foam as i would rather be safe than sorry.
let me know what your findings have been i have several friends still running k and n that would be interested

Old 02-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Originally posted by: BigDaddy331
As most of you know, I've commented on this very same issue probably 30 or 40 times. I've had individuals emailing me trying to tear down Eric and I've had people fueling that fire. I've had both, and I've raced and trailed both. I've only heard of a few stuck wide open issues, but I think that was due to the needle being set too far up in the slide. The problem with the Lectron is not a stuck open problem, it's a stuck-shut or suck-shut problem. Right off the bottom, I mean RIGHT off the bottom the slide tends to be suck shut form the air moving against the slide and putting pressure on the body of the carb. I've talked with Randal about this, and it is there. Some have it worse than others, and those with twist have even less of a perceived problem. This can be almost entirely muted if you set your lectron to idle real high.

Hightower has ALWAYS posted fairly, and with great respect. I wouldn't call him pro or negative anything. He's a good man, and that alone makes him a value to this forum.

Let's also remember that the TM45 has a stuck wide open problem sometimes as well. That said, it's not the carbs fault, it's more of a seat problem. While easily fixed, it does get your attention and makes you scratch your head for a minute or two. The thumb throttle tension issue is a real BEAR on the TM, but it easily fixed, and yes Hightower was one of the leaders in the fix.

I would absolutely agree that if you want an all around performer, get the TM. If you want your hair on fire and dune/race 90% of the time. GET THE LECTRON - SICK POWER!

Lastly, this forum in particular has had it's growing pains but has always been one of the friendliest forums on the net. Let's keep it that way, and try to remember that as men we owe each other more than pulling from the hip. We owe each other respect. Eric called me or accused me of being "retarded" in a post a couple of months back....... Obviously a low point for him, but I owed him an opportunity for a mistake. I moved on, and still haven't bashed him. He's a good guy, and one that has done a great deal for our community.

This is nothing more than the Holley Vs. Carter conversation. To each, his own..... and his own is all that he'll run. Until, of course he switches.

Mike, I didnt know that verbage was used towards you. That is sad....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

You and hightower have been nothing but honest. I did personally witness your lectron sticking. You made that clear. And if I recall correctly you couldnt fix your lectron 46 for the life of ya and was not trail-able for you!! Thats the only reason you went back to the tm 45 w/ snorkle tube.. And maybe Mr hp can work on getting a good fit on the "throttle line to carb" so its not just a loose fit. Maybe thats why alot of dirt gets in the carb? (I dont know for sure). I had to use electrical tape to seal mine. I think you had to shrink yours??? Mine has not stuck open or sucked shut, But I do not have a consistant idle, which im kinda OK with since I only run the hills. These forums are for ATV enthusiasts to speak their minds about Parts and their experiences with them. You shouldnt get any negative feedback for being honest. Your word has always been good as gold....EXCEPT for when you said you could drink me under the table!!!!! YOU DID NOT WANT ANY part of that bottle of PATRONE that night at the bar!!!!!!!
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call me when you get a chance Mike.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

This is a very interesting thread for many reasons....

I got a PM from a nice young man who thought that I was "pulling from the hip" against Eric... OK. I have been nothing more than honest with all that have emailed me and PM'd me. Now not to split hairs or stir the soup, but this young man felt that Eric was not calling me a "retard" or "retarded, but that he was calling my idea retarded. While I can see that one can take it that way, it can be taken many ways. The discussion was not one in which Eric, Randal or HPresearch was getting drug through the mud, it was a conversation that explored many ideas about how to cure the lectron stuck-shut issue that "some" have had. For those that support Eric and his DS endevours please continue. For those who feel that they need to defend or support him through personal emails or PM's... well that's your choice. I do feel it incumbant upon myself to point out to fellow forum members that Eric will do fine, and in fact, flurish dealing fairly and above board with every and all points of interest concerning his products and testing. You, who feel it neccessary to puff up behind the key board, don't really do much in the way of supporting Eric or HPresearch. However, if you feel it neccessary.... feel free. I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen a post in which RWR had to be pulled up from the bowls of negativity. Why is that..... probably because they just do their business letting there work speak for themselves, getting a fair profit, and moving on.

On a side note, I talked to Mario tonight and expressed my feelings on the idea of "puffing up behind a keyboard"...... I find it VERY funny how some have chosen to let there fingers do the talking/yelling/slandering/belittling/challenging when in the real world they're are probably little more than tiny little men looking for a way to be strong. And while I'd love to run into some of these fine folks and have a good face to face, I will say that being strong has NOTHING to do with size. It's about being a good man. It's about being truthful. It's about being a friend first and a business man second.

It's about integrity.....

I'm not a liar, and probably honest to a fault. Nothing more and nothing less.

Guess according to some.... Hightower and I shouldn't chime in on carb issues. We shouldn't help people. We shouldn't try to save someone wasted time and money. One would think that someone who has had both set-ups might have some useful insight.... One might also think that honesty would be priceless. Guess I missed the mark on that one huh???

Hightower, maybe we should just shut up and move on....

Mario, that bottle of Patrone was making some awful nasty faces at me.......

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Definitely BigDaddy, I'm done, and its prolly best I just stay done.

Thanks everybody on both sides of the fence, its just all about sharing whatever we have learned.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:15 AM
sam
Pro Rider

no no..all your comments are very valuable here and us that listen and don't judge value that. if others cant handle your real world experience on your equipment then tough. you've spoke nothing but a honest opinion here.

its just all about sharing whatever we have learned.
absolutely!!!

JMO

Old 02-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Trailblazer

My carburetor is better than yours.

Quick Reply: tm 45 or the new lectron 44mm power jet