CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What a crappy day...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a crappy day...

Today I had a day off so I thought I would get the DS out and change the filters and oil. Every time i have changed the oil I have never been able to get the bleeder under the filter loose so today I go down and buy a large screwdriver just so I can do it right. I also buy a bottle of Simple Green for the eco-disaster that is changing the DSs oil. I have not been very good on maintenance lately and the last oil change was back in august...04[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. Tried to loosen the bleed with new screwdriver and a 12" adjustable.. no luck twisted the end of new screwdriver, is the free-king thing left handed threads??!! So I did what I always do and pull 1 plug fill it with oil and let it sit for an hour, then crank it up light usually goes right out. Both drain plugs had some junk on them, nothing serious but this is the first time I have seen it. The screen was clean so cool. I start looking at the front and something looks off.. FREE-KING broken headlight! I just ordered the HID conversion for $200 last week, anyone know what that is going to cost? I didn't have any problems last ride, I haven't even rolled it over in 2yrs. I cleaned it up and dried it off and put her away. man I like my DS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

I never have messed with the bleeder the light always goes out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i found a funnel that fits under the oil tank pretty good it has a long hose, so it kinda of gets rid of the toxic spills.....i did the clutch springs last weekend and ended up with antfreeze all over the floor, that was a mess and that premixed stuff is not cheap[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] But I am with you I love my DS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys will learn the tricks as you go. I never made a mess changing oil. I think it is mostly the 2000 year you have to bleed.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

If you are concerned with the price of pre-mix.... Mix your own. It's a 60/40 mix..

Old 02-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Something that makes my oil changes a little easier is I have a piece of hose probably an inch in diameter and have it sticking down through the frame to my oil catch. When I take the plug loose on the oil tank, I just let it fall through the hose, and it lands in the top of my oil catch, dont do it with a bucket or anything with an open top or you will have to go fishing.
Justin

Old 02-13-2005, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I have a 2000 and use a chisel that I ground the tip down to fit the oil bleed slot. You can use vise grips or a socket on it. If it's really stuck I suggest warming the motor then blasting the bleed with starting fluid or a cleaner from an aerosol can that will ice down the bleed. I had to do this to friends 2000 that rolled in the dunes and trapped an air pocket in the oil lines keeping the oil light on.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Impact screwdriver did it for me. You can get one at sears. It can be a bugger to remove. Just make sure you get a beefy tip wide enough to break it loose properly.

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What also works for a 2000 DS, it is a little messy, if you can't open the bleed screw, put your new oil in, take the oil line off where it goes into the motor, hold it over a container, when all the bubbles are out, stick the line back on, does the same thing as the bleed screw.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2000 and i have never messed with the bleed screw.... ever. i have not ever had a light come on either and it does work. ????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]