CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

should i get a ds650

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get a ds650

You are right, I used the wrong word of failure when it comes to the DS. The DS has had problems, the shift fork, neutral switch and some other minor problems (can be expensive to the non mechanical person those dealers want $75 bucks and hour labor), but I do know that the raptor has a major problem with their earlier models (2001) and many needed to have their trannys refurbed. Go to the raptor forums and it is one tranny problem after another. Sure many have mods but, so do the DS and the bomb has not had the many problems the raptor has had.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Range Rover

Have both a raptor and a ds. I personally don't like the raptor, in fact the wife rides it(lol). But I'm also partial to say that I don't like the weight of the ds either, it tends to go where its pointed and not easily thrown around like my 250r or 400ex. We mostly ride in sand but I grew up racing mx(still do once in awhile) and love being able to man handle the quad not visversa. Actually plan on selling the raptor to get a yfz450 for the little woman because she doesn't like it either. The ds is a great machine other wise especially if your a big guy. Lots of room, I love the seat because your knees never get banged up and it rides like a cadilac with lots of power.

Old 02-20-2005, 02:06 AM
Trailblazer

I have heard the the yzf 450 are having some problems with the tranny and some overheating problems. Go to the forums for yamaha and read up on it. Just some advice, but I am sure you have much more experience then me so good luck!

Old 02-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

I like the DS for its unique styling and rotax power plant. Love to have that in my Warrior!!! I don't like the lack of reverse, and I do you reverse a lot. I typically ride in large groups, and when parking it just makes life easier. Also when I'm putting the Warrior away for the night in my Garage, reverse makes it easier than hauling a relatively heavy quad around. I shudder to think on having to try and lift the DS around due to a lack of reverse, but then .. I don't have to ... If you ride in a lot of open areas and wide trails, then the lack of reverse shouldn't be a bother ...

Old 02-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: NLWarrior01
I like the DS for its unique styling and rotax power plant. Love to have that in my Warrior!!! I don't like the lack of reverse, and I do you reverse a lot. I typically ride in large groups, and when parking it just makes life easier. Also when I'm putting the Warrior away for the night in my Garage, reverse makes it easier than hauling a relatively heavy quad around. I shudder to think on having to try and lift the DS around due to a lack of reverse, but then .. I don't have to ... If you ride in a lot of open areas and wide trails, then the lack of reverse shouldn't be a bother ...

I agree with you on the lack of reverse. It definately sucks! It did play a factor in my decision of what bike to get, but the reliablity and stability of the DS was worth getting even without the reverse. I just wish that suzuki made a Z400 with a bigger frame, that bike would kick ***!