CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

For those that paint the fenders...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those that paint the fenders...

Do you use Flexall or any other additive in the paint to prevent against cracking from flexing? If so what do you use? I'm just starting to tinker around with a sprayer and want to do custom paint on my quad. Any suggestions about where to get paint and what to use would be appreciated.

Phil

Old 03-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Find a place that preps raw automotive bumpers in Omaha we use Keystone. they prep it and prime it, when you getit back all you need to do is scuff it with a scotch briteand go to color. I only use a flex additive in my clear as that is all thats recommended by my supplier. I use PPG and House of Kolor Paints My clear is srictly PPG. Hope this helps, any other ?'s PM me and I'd be glad to answer. John.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

i remeber reading about an adhesion promoter called bulldogg if I am not mistaken. But I havent tried any yet. I wish we had some sand around here instead of trees and underbrush. Mine would have some
cool work on it. Nice looking stuff.
Justin

Old 03-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

I've used Bulldog, its still pretty iffy as to whether paint will stick. Our plastic is made of polyethelene which isn't made to be painted [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Its about like trying to paint teflon. I've tried about every system out there , the way I do it now gives the best results for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2005, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

For the prep work, is it just like general prep work for fenders? Is the base the same? How many color coats and clear do you use?

Old 03-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

prepping plastic is nothing like prepping a car fender. There are 2 types of adhesion, mechanical, like what you get from sanding, and chemical which uses a chemical bond. on plastic you use a chemical bond , which is where all the cleaners and adhesion promoters come in, the problem is the release mould on the plastic wwhich is incorporated in the make up of the plastic it doesn't let paint stick to it som you have to clean it, but with polyethelene its all through it so you can't just wipe it down and call it good. It has to be scrubbed, cleaned dried and sealed before the release moulds leach out which they do even as your cleaning it. It's no where near as easy as painting a car.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2005, 05:58 AM
Trailblazer

Hello...yes I had recived your message,but here in Swiss already night,now 10.55 in the mornin,and a wake.es,please,I am waiting for all Price (inc.shipping cost.).
Would you please if possible tell me the condition of the plastic and paint.(new or scratched),and the fenders up the fronth whells also.thanks,Regards,Dedu.

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

The guy that painted mine uses Bulldog. It has cracked from ABUSE. I looked at it when I peeled some off and it really wasn't stuck to the plastic. Almost like gravity was holding it there.

The same guy did my buddies Banshee and it's holding up well. I guess our plastic is different, just like Crazy said.

Unles I could do it myself so I wouldn't have to pay someone, I'll never do it again.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Vegas you are right. If you can't do it yourself don't do it. I have to spend money and get mine redone aswell. I am thinking of just getting brand new plastic but what fun is that. Once you start you can't go back. Painted quad running at the dunes should last a few seasons unless you roll it something like that. Opps!!

Old 06-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

I actually stepped on my rear piece while it was off. But it did last over two years.