CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Whos Had Back Surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whos Had Back Surgery?

Originally posted by: bagdrag
440ex you don't have to tell me about the "system" I live in Kali land of the FKed. I hit the books and Internet hard to find out what my rights are. I also have a very good lawyer that my union recommended. If I can give some helpful ideas? Find yourself a good hand held massage unit. The kind with the two half ***** on it. Have your other half use it on your lower back as you lay on the floor. Give that a few weeks of good hard massage. Then roll onto your back and lift one leg up into the air. Have that other person push that leg toward your melon. Push it as far as you can stand it and then some. Remember no pain no gain. Then use the massage from the back of the knee to the butt and hip. Do this on both legs. Then stand up. Massage the lower back as you bend over "trying" to touch your toes. Do this as ofter as you can. This is what this guy did for me and it helped 1000%. He did a lot of other things but this was the main stuff.

Tony.

"land of the FKed" I like that one!!!

Guess its the same crap with the ins co's everyware, and that suks.

Thanx for the tip but I am needing to find a good massuse or whatever to date etc.

Actually I have a pretty damn good stretch and exercise program, and it works really well for my problems. Its finding the time to do them all instead of learning to live with the lessened pain of the short routines, and even more importantly following my own ideas and advice on removing or relieving stress.

Not sure if it was mention earlier in the thread but stress is a real problem that is amplified when you have back or neck problems. There are some ways of dealing with it (everything from massage or strecthing to elec stimulation etc) but removing it before its able to further effect our muscles and then our level of pain is the real trick, and one thats not easy to do.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

I keep forgetting to get into this but dont forget that more than 50% (may have been 40 or 60 I honestly dont remember) of men over 25 have some degree of a bulging or herniated disc problem, but over half of them dont even know it.

Maybe the site chiro can offer the real numbers but thats a lot of people to be running around with potential problems and not have any idea since the symptons dont include serious or constant pain.

When I first heard this I was like WTF are we built to break down or is the whole lumbar section a defect that needs to be recalled [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Point is that many of us had the beggining of our problems start before we had pain (mine started in my teens, but the real pain didnt start till around 24) and though tough to get anyone to do if we had better preparred ourselves and did different things to avoid injury (protective gear to exercise etc) before we had one we would have had a very good chance to be in a much better situation today.

Just a thought anyhow.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

440ex you mentioned stress. I have also found that not only does stress in your musckes cause pain but stress at work or home will also cause pain. We got a new boss here at work and he is a #@#@#@! The days that I have to deal with him I end up in pain by the end of the day. As long as I stay away from him but pain isn't that bad. I wonder if this is where the saying "He's a real pain in the butt" came from. Like I said earlier my pain is never in my back but in my hip and butt area and all the way down my leg. When work, money or family life isn't going good it causes stress and seems to irritate the nerve. Now I just try to not let things bother me as much.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:14 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Good point TexasPsycho, I remember that from my days in pain. I used to think that is where the saying " Your getting on my nerves" came from. I definitely feel for everyone here with sciatica nerve pain. I have been there before and dont ever want to go back. I can still remember quite vividly how I felt when the 3rd dr told me to sell my off road toys. i was very sad and felt very helpless.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Doctors! who do they think they are telling us what to do? They act like they went to school or something! Sometimes I really do wonder what they know, all that schooling and they still can't fix our back problems. It's not like it's something that just started happening in the last few years. Actaually the doctor I've been seeing is really trying but man it gets depressing sometimes and you just lose confidence in them for a little while, then they come up with some new procedure that has a good chance of fixing you but in the end it does nothing. Just have to grin and bare it, sometimes thats not a grin on my face though. I had three doctors tell me to see my dirt bike and stop doing sports like that. One of the doctor told me to sell the dirt bike and buy an atv because it would be easier on my back. He was wrong! I found that I really enjoy the atv's now but with all the jaring, bouncing and body movement I have to do when riding it makes my pain worse. The only real problem I had with my dirt bike was kick starting it. It was a YZ426 and if you stalled it the thing was a pain in the but to get started. I plain on getting me another bike but this time a YZ450 but I'm also keeping my atv because it's to much fun to give up. I've got to have some kind of fun to go alnog with the pain. I would hate to know I was just setting at the house watching T.V and in pain when i could be out riding and in pain.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:39 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I didnt mention that all 3 told me to sell my dirt bike. The 2nd 2 actually told me to sell my toys, buy a good supportive chair. A big TV, and to go and buy videos of activities I couldnt do anymore. I wanted to hurt those 2.b Thankfully I went for more opinions. I bought my KTM because it had a e-start. Kicking the 500R has all but destroyed my right knee. Havnt found any stretches for it yet.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

my brother in law has had a couple different back issues i hear him talk about the shots and the pills ect, the thing that really sucks is he won't can't ride quads anymore[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] he was my best riding buddie and now i have to search for someone else to go with. he is still able to ride harley's and loves his hot rods. he went down to mexico this winter and spent a week in the hot sun and said that he had very little pain during that trip because of the heat. we plan harley trips as much as possible but i can still the pain in his eyes at the end of the day.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

I bet a lot of the relief he got in Mexico was because he was so relaxed and didn't have any worries while he was there, it really helps! I found that when we take a vacation where I can just relax, lay around and soak in the ocean or lay under some shade trees in the mountains or on the beech my pain isn't near as bad as it is when I try to relax at home. Theres just to many things running through your head when your home but on vacation none of them matter anymore. This years vacation should do me a lot of good, Disney World. Nothing I like more than waiting in line for an hour to ride a five minute ride, fighting your way through a crowd, standing on a concrete slab in the open sun at 100deg weather and paying five times what food is really worth. Oh well the shows are good because you get to set down and they are air conditioned plus it's for the kids this year.

You did the right thing in not letting them talk you out of your toys. I mean if your gonna be in pain anyway you might as well have fun. I have been thinking about getting a WR450 instead of the YZ since it has an electric start. The performance won't be quite the same but with a sproket change, a pipe and some tunning it will be close enough. I never pushed the 426 to it's limits anyway, if I had it would have killed me.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:29 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: TexasPsycho

You did the right thing in not letting them talk you out of your toys. I mean if your gonna be in pain anyway you might as well have fun. I have been thinking about getting a WR450 instead of the YZ since it has an electric start. The performance won't be quite the same but with a sproket change, a pipe and some tunning it will be close enough. I never pushed the 426 to it's limits anyway, if I had it would have killed me.
This may sound stupid, but I dont know what I would do if I couldnt ride a dirt bike anymore. I would possiblynever be the same. I have a buddy at church who gave up riding due to his nagging wife. He now bowls instead and is about double the weight he should be. I feel very fortunate to be totally pain free and able to do what ever I want physically. Even more after finding this thread. I will never stop stretching, that is for sure.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

wifesquad you have 13 machines[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] it hurts just thinking about it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Whos Had Back Surgery?