CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Mechanical skill lacking noob wants opinions (gauge install) lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical skill lacking noob wants opinions (gauge install) lol

Alright guys... I know I already have a thread about the gauges, but it kind of died... Anyway, we leave for little sahara/st.anthonies in just over a month, and between now and then I want to have my gauges on,and possibly have a new carb. (I know most of you are like...a MONTH? that would take me 3 days to get the parts and 30 minutes to put on/adjust!) but...I am not like most of you. I am 19, barely any mechanical or engineering skills (and a lack of tools/machines to help make brackets/mounts etc) and I am wanting opinions on what everyone thinks I should do as far as installing gauges.

I currently have the triple gauge sunpro kit from autozone (1 1/2 inch voltmeter/temp/oil pressure all mechanical, thanks to countryjoe for letting me know about where to get them) I have seen many different gauge installs, but dont know which would be best for me.

**Keep in mind currently my red dummy light is dead (its not the oil sensor, and I dont think it is the LED itself, for awhile I could wiggle the wires and it would flicker, but now I dont even get that)**

My train of thought right now is:

A: Use both gauges I have. purchase the coolant line TEE ($ 50) - and hookup the oil pressure gauge either teeing it, and retaining the stock light, or could I just plug the gauge straight into the oil sensor hole? (removing the sensor, and just relying on the gauge?) This would also include mounting both gauges into my dash, and relocating the key. to install these Do i just cut a hole the size of the gauge, and plop it in and screw it down?

B: Purchase the ESR inline guage (80) - and hookup the oil pressure gauge (just as above, either putting it straight in, or teeing it) This way I would still have to mount a single gauge, but that might be easier than mounting two in the dash? Another thought...If I am only mounting one guage, could I keep the key where it is at?

C: Forget about the sunpro gauges and purchase autometer 2 1/16 gauges (35 each), so that I can utilize the gauge cups (10 each), and mount them like DSjobber! Again, would require the coolant line Tee (50) (I could also run the ESR, and just mount the oil temp in a cup)

Let me know what you guys think would be the easiest/best install for a non-mechanically inclined person! I hate tinkering on my DS, because it is currently the black sheep of my riding group, because I dont have enough know-how yet to keep the things I install in proper running order [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] (ie...jetting is always a total biotch to get right... I have also gone through two batteries, a clutch and actuators, The whole starter gear/clutch sprag fiasco among many others). I dont want anything I do risk putting my DS in a non-repairable state, or at least one that means I have to pay somebody 60 bucks an hour to fix lol.

Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]