CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

05 DS 650 X & Hiper Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 DS 650 X & Hiper Wheels

Marky,

Good idea on the waiver - I think also offering them at no cost helps make it tough to sue you when they break though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] Doesn't it just **** you off when a company does crap like what Hyper is doing?

Oh well, like some others posted - Screw Hyper, go with OMF. And to my credit, I bought some OMFs with rings (no bead locks, I'm too cheap.) for my 2001 DS650 in March of 2001 waaaaay before they were cool [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] and the good news is they are still undamaged even after some pretty aggressive terrain here and there. Unfortunately the tires don't hold air as well as when they were new (due to the terrain) but the rims are perfect.

Old 06-17-2005, 04:29 AM
Pro Rider

wow so hipers are really that bad?

Old 06-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: bassetboy55
Whether or not they are "bad" is a question bigger than the members here can answer. Pro racers wouldn't use products that they didn't trust, regardless of how much money is shoved down their throats, and a bunch of pros use Hipers. Granted, not too many on DS's, but yes on other quads. Plus, as any of you know, people love to sue. Hiper would not have survived so long if their wheels really were unsafe.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: schef
Originally posted by: bassetboy55
Whether or not they are "bad" is a question bigger than the members here can answer. Pro racers wouldn't use products that they didn't trust, regardless of how much money is shoved down their throats, and a bunch of pros use Hipers. Granted, not too many on DS's, but yes on other quads. Plus, as any of you know, people love to sue. Hiper would not have survived so long if their wheels really were unsafe.

Schef,

I dont think you are getting the jist of this thread. We've been pretty specific about the problems/concerns with the DS Wheels from Hiper. The offset problem is not a concern for other wheels from them that I know of. The only thing left to consider is the suspendened carbon fiber injected molded wheel itself. A person simply needs to consider if that type of wheel is right for them. There hasnt been too much conversation on here about that. The advantage is that the wheels dont bend, the disadvantage is that they break at a certain point. I dont believe there is any weight advantage. Another advantage is that you dont need to polish them. Im also not a fan of thier beadlock system - I torqued mine myself to specs and they didnt hold. But, the DS is heavy and very torquey. This wouldnt be the case with other quads. I think with a beefier beadlock ring, and a good offset, the Hiper wheels for the DS would probably be fine. I think the other wheels for other quads are fine because they dont have the same problems as outlined.

Dont take it personal. We are simply laying out specific problems with a particular wheel. The only thing that bothers me is a company that is willing to knowingly produce a wheel with the wrong offset, and keep doing it. I know the reason they did this, as the owner himself explained it to me. Like I have said many times before, as long as people have ALL the information, then they can make a good decision.

You and I know that Pro-Racers have thier own set of criteria when selecting a wheel - especially from a sponsor. I know I dont make all my decisions about what to buy for my DS based on what a Pro-Racer puts on his 250R, or Z400. I understand what thier motivation and application is.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well said Mark!

Old 06-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

OregonDP, I've gotten the jist of this topic pretty well. Whether you think I so or not... well... doesn't matter too much. As far as offending me; I like to think I've heard it all... and I've probably said half of it. So no, questioning my wheel smarts online won't offend me in the least.

"A person simply needs to consider if that type of wheel is right for them. "

- Yep. That was one of my points, among others.