CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Procom CDI Box. Here we go again. Can you say J J J J JUNK.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procom CDI Box. Here we go again. Can you say J J J J JUNK.

Well Chriochris and OZ I know you're going to break my stones but you hit this one right on the nose. Went out for a ride today and wham Procom CDI Box took a dump. Anyone who buys a CDI box from them is in for trouble. At least if you own a DS 650. Here is the letter I sent to Jennifer at Procom today explaining the updated situation. I guess we will wait and see what happens.

Hi Jennifer. My name is Derek Freyberger I sent you several emails over the past month regarding a CDI box I purchased from your company. Below is a the first email I sent you regarding the Procom CDI box. It says how the box advanced the timing to much on my 2004 Bombardier DS 650 Baja Quad. This ended up costing me over $500.00 in repairs. You then asked me to get others to email you regarding the problem. I did and they sent you emails.

Well you had me send my CDI box back to you so you could send me a replacement. I received the replacement about two or three weekends ago. I installed it on my bike and started it up several times in my garage with no backfires or popping. I thought the problem was fixed.

Today I was able to take the bike out for a real ride with my son for the first time since I installed the CDI box. Everything was fine for about a half hour into the ride. I then shut my Quad off to take a break and when I tried to start it back up in turned over but would not start. I tried to turn it over several times until by battery went dead. I do not have a kick start so I ended up being stranded 2 miles from my vehicle. Luckily I had a strap which I used and had my son tow me back to the truck. Once home I put the stock CDI box back on the bike and it fired right up.

I appreciate you sending me another CDI box that was nice of you. But it seems to me there are some serious issues with these CDI units. Many guys on that site (ATV Connection.com) know your name as they have talked to you several times in the past year regarding the Procom CDI Box. One of the guys on ATV connection sent me an email telling me that you issued him a refund. At this time I would like to do the same thing. After two CDI boxes, over $500.00 dollars in damage to my engine and then getting stranded out on the trails I really don't want to take any more gambles here. I thinks its only fair I be issued a refund. I have decided to run the stock CDI.

I have the original box and CDI you sent me. I also need the address to ship it back. Could you please contact me as soon as possible to resolve this issue.

Feel free to contact me at 856 275 4614 6am to 8pm est. or send me an email.

Sincerely, Derek Freyberger

Old 08-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

Keep us posted on this. I, too, installed a Procomm CDI several months ago, and ever since, my battery dies if I dont turn the motor over every couple of days. It's a brand new battery. I guess it's time to buy the Big Gun CDI.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Man, Im sorry for your lost. But, yes, keep us posted on this issue...maybe it will prevent any further lost for someone else [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

Hi Chriochris ...

Just curious do you plan on running any other CDI units on your bike ?
The reason I ask is to find out who is a good alternative manufacturer to Procom to go with ? should I start experancing any problems like you are having.
Good to know whats going on with them I will keep a watchfull eye out for the signs as I will switch back in a heartbeat if I notice any. I always keep my stock unit with me now on rides and trips just in case. Hate to waste 5 hours of drive time, full tank of gas and a months worth of planning to have a failed unit die on me and I can't ride all weekend long. Yes I also got stranded about 4 miles from my truck in the desert.... not wise or smart. Only I had no one around to tow me back.... thank God some one came by (Wish it was a Ranger but they are never around when you need them !)
Sounds like its just not worth it to go cheep.
Thus far mine has worked pretty well after they replaced the unit.
Keep us informed as to the customer service you recieve......
ILIVSD

Old 08-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dsdrew
The Big Gun is just as bad as the procom..Mine has done the same things to my motor as the pro com....I cant even give the box away.. Dont buy the BIG GUN...

DSDrew,

Thats surprising - thats the first I've heard of that problem with the big gun. But, all you have to do is return it to Big Gun - At least get your money back man!

Old 08-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

From what Ive heard Procom makes the CDI units for BigGun.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Mrneg9,

Yes they do, but they have a different timing curve. This is old news -

Old 08-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

mrneg,

hey-sorry to here that....procomm sucks the big one!

big gun also has some affiliation with procom so watch out there too..

i gave up and just run stock, do yourself a favor and save for a vortec-- i here they are good(never had one)..

let us know how you make out with them, they read the forum or they use to, so they will see this!

goodluck

Old 08-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

mrneg

what mods do you run that you feel you need a modded cdi?

i saw your pics, were do you ride i need a place like that.. im in ny and will travel to nj anytime

Quick Reply: Procom CDI Box. Here we go again. Can you say J J J J JUNK.