CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Pipe choice help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipe choice help

Eric,

Of course there are other factors at play here. But you have to admit, one of the rules of exhaust flow (abeit a weak one) does state that more restriction does equal more torque, less restriction does equal more flow and top end - just look at the Supertrapp manual. You and I know that's not the only rule. There are wieghtier rules involved. We've both dynoed these disks and know for a fact that they dont always obey rule #1! And you also know that too few disks will kill top end. Dynoing the number of disks is truely the best way to determine how many is best for each application.

This is good conversation Eric. I like to be challenged. By the way, one of the other rules is exhaust length. Have you had a chance to dyno the Ron Wood's In-frame drag pipe? I think for NOS applications, its probably the best for HP. I think the results of DS Days were interesting for sure.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!
Default Pipe choice help

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Eric,

Of course there are other factors at play here. But you have to admit, one of the rules of exhaust flow (abeit a weak one) does state that more restriction does equal more torque, less restriction does equal more flow and top end - just look at the Supertrapp manual. You and I know that's not the only rule. There are wieghtier rules involved. We've both dynoed these disks and know for a fact that they dont always obey rule #1! And you also know that too few disks will kill top end. Dynoing the number of disks is truely the best way to determine how many is best for each application.

This is good conversation Eric. I like to be challenged. By the way, one of the other rules is exhaust length. Have you had a chance to dyno the Ron Wood's In-frame drag pipe? I think for NOS applications, its probably the best for HP. I think the results of DS Days were interesting for sure.

Your thinking in common sense terms instead of horsepower and torque terms. More restriction = a slower flowing pipe and more top end power. Less restriction=more flow and less top end power but more tq.
Yes too few discs can kill top or bottom there is a balancing act to be done with the disc's. But your statements in general are backward when you are talking about fast flowing exhaust vs. slow flowing exhaust when you say a restricted exhaust makes more tq.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Originally posted by: MisterHP
Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
Eric,

Your thinking in common sense terms instead of horsepower and torque terms. More restriction = a slower flowing pipe and more top end power. Less restriction=more flow and less top end power but more tq.
Yes too few discs can kill top or bottom there is a balancing act to be done with the disc's. But your statements in general are backward when you are talking about fast flowing exhaust vs. slow flowing exhaust when you say a restricted exhaust makes more tq.
Eric,

There are many rules to exhaust flow and how it affects HP and torque. Your taking one rule and having fun! LOL But Im glad you agree with me on that one point "Yes too few discs can kill top or bottom there is a balancing act to be done with the disc's". Thank you. Im glad your not advocating that fewer discs always equals more top end HP. But, I do stand by my original claim (and also written by Dr. Paul Moller more than 30 years ago- the inventor of the Supertrapp Discs) that fewer discs will tend to increase low-end torque and richens the carbureted fuel mixture; more discs move the power band up to give you more top-end power, and leans out the carbureted fuel mixture. Otherwise, we can all just pinch our exhaust pipes shut and enjoy drag racing full on! I too, am in agreement with you, that too much flow can kill power. I am certainly not advocating an open exhaust solution, just mearly that Scatterbrain could tune up with added discs to where he needed to be with NOS. So, did we actually get anywhere? or was this exersize just fool hearty?

Have a great day Eric! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!
Default Pipe choice help

Dr. Paul Moller was probably spot on 30 years ago.

Do you consider the drag pipe to be a high flowing exhaust?

So did we actually get anwhere? I'm not posting the questions and answers for me and you but for those who want to know the truth about how exhaust works.

Old 09-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Eric,

Good night

Marky

Old 09-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Im listening and learning. I thank both of you guys for the time in replying to my thread. The theories concerning exhaust is probably the least understood by most people. Sometimes it take a little arguing to get to a solution. I finally made up my mind. I like the LTE idea but as I got all the info together with all the pros and cons I decided to go ahead and get the CT pipe. Whether or not it performs better or is quieter it just seems to fit my set up better. I would have to move almost all of the boondocker stuff and get rid of the snorkle. I was leaning towards the RW but quality issues and overall weight put it out of the running. I will in the future get a drag pipe and use it where I can. Thanks again to everyone who put in their .02 it helped alot. Keith

Old 09-18-2005, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Keith,

No problem. All those exhaust systems are good - I think the thread got a little off track - but whats important is that you got all the info from all the exhausts and made a decision on your needs. Let me know if I can help with any questions on the Supertrapp discs. I'd be happy to email you the Supertrapp tech bulletin 2002-11 regarding the basic theories of the discs. Sound, flow, power are all covered in there. If you need any other help with the CT, let me know.

Marky

Old 09-18-2005, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

EDITED For ODP,OK which one is a better disc system, RWR pipe with discs, stock pipe with the discs, Alba pipe with discs, Top gunn with dics , CT Racing with discs or others? Are they all the disc systems the same?

Old 09-18-2005, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

CountryJoeGlass,

Thanks man! I know I could use a good laugh! Right on!

Old 09-18-2005, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default Pipe choice help

Marky do you have a answer to the question?

Quick Reply: Pipe choice help