CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Mysterious starting issue...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious starting issue...any ideas?

I have had starting troubles for a while. Starter has made the kick back noise since new. Recently it turned over very slow, so I replaced the battery and it turns over fine. But the last 2 rides it stalled then won't start. Starter just spins but no engine spark. Yet it pull starts just fine. Before I tear this apart, does anyone have an idea where to start? I have the procomm recifier and cdi for about a year BTW.

Old 10-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Hi there Cammer,
Just for starters I would put the stock CDI back on and see how she goes ?
You should know after a few rides if that's it.
This is a free easy test to eliminate the CDI... I always keep my stock CDI with me just in case.
Let me know if this does the trick ?

Old 10-10-2005, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, so I took put the stock CDI in and it started fine about 20 times. So I connected the Procomm and it started fine about 20 times????? The only other thing I did was take the small box attached to the CDI off and clean all the connectors as they were quite dirty. I dunno if it fixed or not. Guess I will just have to ride it and see what happens. If their other ideas out there, I'd appreciate em.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Cammer, I speak from a very expensive experience. Take out that procom cdi and never use it again. It advances the timing to much and that is where the problem lies......DO NOT put it back in......

Old 10-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Cammer, have you an idea of what that box that you cleaned was? I've asked this question in a thread I started a few days ago and no replies. I'm having major electrical issues and looking at replacing all of these components until I find the source of my inability to ride. Some CDI's have two plugs, mine (03) has one and the box you speak of, and I can't get an answer as to the ones with two plugs being compatible.
Thanks

Old 10-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

cammer,

take the procomm cdi and throw it as far as you can to start,put the stock one in a start from there..

NEVER run the procomm cdi

aceisblack,

i had huge electrical problems a few months ago, i am great now.. i replaced my reg/rectifier (not with stock) and bought a sunn battery...it has been great ever since.. i even went 3 wks without starting and it turned right over..

Old 10-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

chirochris, Can you give some of the symptoms you were experiencing prior to replacing the rectifier and how you determined that that was the problem? Please reference my "DS Won't Run, Help Please" thread. It tells the problem I'm having. A few forum members have PM'd me having similar problems and are awaiting my outcome. I am waiting on parts before I can get any further. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've already replaced the battery with no difference.

It's ace is back, not black, as from the song Rock Soldiers by Ace Frehley!

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

aces,

i cant find that post...but i had alot of symptoms

1= blown head lights a long time ago..replaced them and it was fine --i thought
2= always dead..if i didint start it aleast everyother day
3= would stall and pop alot under seat, jetting was dead on--checked it
4= then the final straw--- wouldnt start, got it running with a jump but if i touched the gas it would die..did some forum reading and someone try it with your lights on and i did and it ran all day i just had to switch from high to low alot to keep it running and if it stalled it needed to be jumped..

so i researched it and it was a reg/rec(under seat in back next to batterywith fins on it) with the combo of a bad battery which the reg/rec killed..

so i did more forum stuff and it came to bmw has the same reg/rec and procomm offers a high performance one(increase hp by a few % so it says)... i would not buy stock cause it went on me already... oldmanracing has the procomm reg/rec along with a few others and have had great success, so i got this one( i hate procomm for there cdi's but took a shot) it has been great! then i bought a sunn 545(i think) battery with a 2 yr warrenty also great..

hope this helps.. if not pass it on and maybe it will help some on

PS. if you feel you need a cdi save your money and get a VORTEX, ALL THE OTHERS WILL JUST LET YOU DOWN...the only reason i say this is i have read complaints on cdi's for a few yrs and all have had there issues, but never have i heard a BAD thing about vortex..

Old 10-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

I had a friend that had the same problem as you and it turns out that he needed to shim his valve springs cause one was always rubbing on the cam and it made his start up really rough, and also drained his battery. Hope this helps.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Yea check your valve clearence. I have 2 DSs and both bikes had poor valve settings. This may not solve your problem but it will help and your bike will run better