CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My new Magura Hydr. Clutch for the Bomb....

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005 | 03:53 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default My new Magura Hydr. Clutch for the Bomb....

First off... I know there's some of you with this nice nifty gadget.... so if so, let me know your thoughts!

I got mine... and it looks trick. ...however....

When I went to install it, the slave didn't fit into the stock clutch cable housing on the crankcase cover. WTF??
I ended up breaking my case (where the clutch cable sits against the case) and completely taking off the old mount (ground it off).
Now... slightly frustrated... I got out the TIG welder. I ended making a new mount out of steel and attaching it to a case bolt. No problem....

Then... I started the quad all excited to check my clutch action. It didn't seem like the piston on the slave moved far enough.... and sure enough, my clutch drags really bad. SO, I adjusted the clutch arm on the case for more pull... and nope, it still won't pull far enough. Again... WTF?? I bled the clutch, I tried several different positions... and still, it won't work correctly.

Tell me... did anyone else just go through hell puttin' it on to be somewhat dissapointed??
I hope someone can enlighten me to this... and tell me I did something wrong. But, there's not much to do wrong!!!

I'm about to put my stock clutch back together... but the entire reason I did this was so my GirlFriend could ride it without sore and tired hands from the Ron Woods Springs. But come on... it doesn't work correctly!!

HELP!!!

Old 10-17-2005 | 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Did you use all of the little spacer washers? Someone a long time ago posted several pics that helped me.

Old 10-17-2005 | 11:37 AM
|
Pro Rider

I didn't get any "spacer washers". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

But remember... I had to MAKE the mount for the slave. And I made it adjustable. I'm assuming you had to put spacers at the slave where it mounts to the case?? If so, you're just making the push rod come out of the slave more right? Cuz if so, I tried that and the push rod won't work the full length of it's shaft. It only works a super short distance. I'd say it only pulls the clutch arm about half an inch to maaaaybe 3/4 of an inch. I'll have to measure it again.

Can someone who has one installed take a pic of it??? And post a link to the pic here. (use photobucket.com or something)

Old 10-17-2005 | 01:28 PM
|
Pro Rider

I just called Magura and they're sending me out a new 'slave'.

They said I should have about 9.5mm of pull, and I'm def. not getting that.
Being I have no time, I up'd the shipping to two day and that's all I had to pay for.

Awesome service by Peter. I wish all companys had that kind of CS!

Old 10-17-2005 | 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Peter is a good guy and Magura is a good company .... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2005 | 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

HEY johnny.. SORRY! you had so much trouble!! I recomended the Magura clutch to ya. Mine went right on NO PROBLEMS.. 20 MINUTES TO INSTALL. !!
LITTLE ADJUSTMENT. I put 80% springs in last weekend and rode the bike this weekend with NO PROBLEM WORKS GREAT!!??????

I guess your just the lucky one SORRY MAN

Bud

Old 10-17-2005 | 08:12 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: budtbaar
HEY johnny.. SORRY! you had so much trouble!! I recomended the Magura clutch to ya. Mine went right on NO PROBLEMS.. 20 MINUTES TO INSTALL. !!LITTLE ADJUSTMENT. I put 80% springs in last weekend and rode the bike this weekend with NO PROBLEM WORKS GREAT!!?????? I guess your just the lucky one SORRY MAN Bud

No worries Bud... I'll get it worked out.

It was just nerve racking when so many say "no problem... easy install..." etc...
I'm not the "new guy" on the block when it comes to these things... so I was a bit miffed at myself, and the product.

I'll update once I get the new slave. (crossing my fingers).
I also found out the little retainer colar that came on the slave wasn't supposed to necessarily be used. When I tried to fit it into my stock cable holder on the side case, it ended up breaking the case (my strength) as I had even dremel'd out some of the powder coat that was in the hole. Sucks, but I TIG'd a new mount within an hour... and it's now adjustable too. I'll snap a pic of what I had to do (closeup).

... update coming soon.

Old 10-20-2005 | 11:37 AM
|
Pro Rider

(multiple posts to cover the 'other' threads on Magura)

Okay... it's on (with a new slave sent out from Magura)...
(the one that came had a tad bit of a leak... therefore, wouldn't pull all the way in)

And I don't like it!!!

The pull is still as hard as stock, or so close to it that it's nothing to brag about. Not for $200.

The shifting is a tad notchy... unless I pull the clutch ALL the way in to shift. Or I adjust the pull more (see next comment).

I can't get it out of gear into neutral unless I shut it off.... so it's dragging a tad bit. However, I can adjust it to work... but I'm afraid of burning up my new clutch. There's not much room of "free play" to make sure it's not constantly slipping.

It seems using a cable (what I'm used to all my life) is more of a "sure thing" to make SURE the clutch has free play and isn't dragging. Also, the stock cable isn't as smooth as a hydro but it's almost worth a piece of mind to me. I bought this clutch for my girlfriend to make it easier on her.... and, ultimately I don't think it's any easier. So really, there's no benefit.

I'm sure I'll be selling it once I get home from Halloween in Glamis.... best offers?!

Old 10-20-2005 | 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Johnnyairtime,

Thanks for the posts on the clutch. I dont have one yet, but if the pull is close to stock, I would think that would be a good thing for those with stiff clutch springs. Also, did you have trouble finding neutral before you installed the clutch? And, do you think that the "finding neutral" is more related to clutch plates and springs, as opposed to the Magura system?

Old 10-20-2005 | 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you have air in the system .

Quick Reply: My new Magura Hydr. Clutch for the Bomb....