CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Glamis Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glamis Dunes

So, I went to Glamis last friday. First time for me. Comp hill...thats funny. Olds, thats more like it, but whats with the 20 whoops in front and up the hill????? that sucks. Dumont has less whoops and Armagosa has like 2. Armagosa may be smaller as a whole dune area, but nothing can match Armagosa's steep comp hill and how perfect it is.

My opinoin, Glamis is great if you dont know about other dunes and if you want to party your *** off.

I did find more of what I was looking for at the other end of the sand highway (ran sand highway steady in the 6k range in 5th gear). That was fun and I felt that in my blades for the last 3 days. Down at the other end I found virgin dunes and will be headed back there next time.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Glamis Dunes

Take Sand Hwy to Gordon's Well and stop in to Pair-A-Dice for Breakfast or Lunch.

I like that ride too. Nothing better than wide open dune speed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I have to agree. . . the drag hills at Glamis leave a lot to be desired. Glamis is great for duning. Lots to explore too. . . China Wall, etc.

Nothin' better than getting all the fellas together for a long group ride in the dunes. . . finding a bowl and getting all the bikes in it.

Old 11-08-2005, 04:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Glamis Dunes

Comp is just a hang out area at night before the curfews were put into effect.

Olds is not the biggest or steepest hill out there although the face of it is very wide. The whoops, well that's nothing new, just part of the hill after a busy weekend. I think the whoops are great, its not all motor when you race, the rider has to be able to ride too!

My favorite part about glamis is you can ride the whole weekend and never ride the same "track" twice. Get into the big bowls with a good leader and you can transition from one bowl to another for an awesome ride.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Range Rover
Default Glamis Dunes

If you just hung out at Olds and Comp, then it sounds like you didn't make it down to the good hills. Lots of good dunes south of Olds. And if you did make it down to Gordons Well at the south end of of sand highway and found virgin dunes, it must be because it was an off weekend. On big weekends it gets crowded down there too.

As far as I know, we are still waiting for a San Francisco judge to make a ruling on opening back up some of the closures. Hopefully that will happen soon and there will at least be a little more area to explore this year, and you won't have to always be on the lookout for all those red stakes.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glamis Dunes

My experience with whoops is that they are where the traffic is. If you know the area well, you'll eventually find areas that nobody else visits that much, and thats where the whoops wont be.

I like Glamis, she has her own unique style for sure.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Glamis Dunes

Originally posted by: 04DS650
As far as I know, we are still waiting for a San Francisco judge to make a ruling on opening back up some of the closures. Hopefully that will happen soon and there will at least be a little more area to explore this year, and you won't have to always be on the lookout for all those red stakes.
I hope this happens b4 Jan. of 06. . . I've got some coordinates on the GPS that I haven't been able to get to yet!

Old 11-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glamis Dunes

Hi there BajaX04,

If you were looking for a BIG STEEP NASTY hill with TEETH then you should have headed around the back side of RoadRunner as that's there "CHINA WALL" is at. Its a STEEP beast... I can take easily wide open in 2nd gear but man vary few people ride it because its so soft and hazardous. You run that hill a few times and the rest is just is just a play ground.
To me that's where the real respect comes in. Shoot any kid on a 250 can do Olds, and Comp... I have even see 125 ATC's make it up those... I am not impressed with them at all.
But ya GLand is the big party area with the "Younger" crowd and with it comes crazy antics and stupidity.
I am too OLD to be stupid... because being dumb hurts.... last trip out a kid on a YFZ 450 came screeming through camp lost it on a kids track fractured a vertibray and broke a colar bone and a dislocated sholder.... Welcome to GLand.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Glamis Dunes

When my bro and I were their last January we spent all day in a MASSIVE wind storm. It was the absolute best riding experience I have ever had. The 40-50mph striaght winds made the dunes look like they were alive !! We were the only two guys on the dunes that day, rode for hours and hours and never seen another soul[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It was the only time I can remember actually screaming HELL YA!!!!! and WhoooHOO! inside my helmet several times as we transitioning from one big bowl to another.

Bigger.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glamis Dunes

Yeah. Olds was OK but China.... now that's a hill!!!! I climbed it numerous times. It's really more of a rush going down than up![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glamis Dunes

For me, I was really hoping to find a good hill that didnt have 25 whoops in it. I agree that its from the massive traffic. I kinda gave up at glamis because I didnt have anyone there to really show me around to all the spots. We found Comp and had to get someone to show us Olds. After those 2 I just thought, wow, this blows. Maybe I am just spoiled now.

Its very hard to match the fun I had in Armagosa. The hill in Armagosa is smooth and straight up. I shot that hill so many times in a 6 hour period launching in 2nd at 7800rpm that I am AMAZED that my clutch is still ok. Hours and hours of racing up the hill against anyone. That day

I live in Havasu so going to Glais, Dumont, or Armagosa are all close to the same distance from here.

Here is the main link to my pic site. PICS It has so many picutes its just insane. Take some time and look at them.
Pics include: 2 Baja X, 1 Baja, 1 Z400, 1 predator, 1 blaster, 1 polaris 250, and 1 Jehm 90.

Quick Reply: Glamis Dunes