CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Kids bikes, need thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids bikes, need thoughts

Ok, everyone with kids jump in and help me out. I am putting my 5 and 3 year olds on battery operated quads for Christmas this year. Knowing my kids this little learning time will be short lived and I will be lucky to get a year before we want to move up. I am looking for a couple of 50cc bikes and want to know what you have all done, or currently have for your kids.

Also, saw the Kazuma bikes and I could get 2 of those for around $1000. Anyone know much on these?

Thank you all.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at my pic"s my step son has a 50cc. He loves it... ALL that i have done to it is opened the carb a little and the throttle screw is all the way out.. I payed 800 bucks for it,(it was used)

Old 11-11-2005, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

My son is 11 (started at 5) and it took me 3 quads to find something that finally fits him. I strongly suggest something with a rear disc brake. Drum brakes are terrible and disc up front if the brake too sudden can easily flip the bike over. A tether cord in the rear is a bonus and something with a throttle stop to limit thier speed until they become better at it. Believe it or not, 50s will be outgrown very quickly and your DS will be far too fast to ride with them. You can mod them to make more power (and they are cheap and easy to mod) but they will have to push that thumb throttle really far to get moving in stock trim. 50ccs is great on a dirt bike but on a much more weight biased machine like an atv.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dragon hook up with us in a couple weeks and I will show ya a 4 year old and a 50 that were made for each other[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

i picked up a mint atc 70 for him to ride he is 3.5 yrs old..paid 400 for it

thing is perfect exept it has gears, i put it 2 gear and adjust the throttle screw and let him rip..

alot of people are gonna say---3 wheeler no way-- i was thinking that at first, then i was like----we all grew up on them and are ok i will always love 3 wheels..

plus you can get them cheap, i am looking for a lt 5o right know also just for him to ride with us without the gears alot less of a headache, but for the yard the atc 70 in 2nd gear does the trick

i did alot of looking and like the lt 50 the best, i feel comfortable buying from a company that i recognize.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Well way back in the day, I started out on a Yamaha 80. From what I remember not a bad bike at all. I was then moved up to a Suzuki 90, on Christmas and my brother who is 6 years behind me got his first battery operated. And then we moved on from there. When we got out of the sport, I was 13 on a Suzuki 250 racer while my brother was almost 7 on the Yamaha Blaster. Out of the sport 14+ years, we came back and found the DS. My brother and I grew up on them and still remember them days of the past.

I know the kids are going to grow out of the 50s quickly, and I may go with larger bikes just for the longevity reason as long as I can throttle them back. My son rides with me on the DS and at 3 he already thanks the throttle should be wide open at all times [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Wondering where he got that......

So any of you that will be moving kids on to different bike and need to make room for the new ones.... I can't wait to see them riding the sand on thier own rides, and hopfully that will be sometime next summer.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about the kids but I love those ATC 70's... you guys ever see a 330lb man riding one of those things... think circus clown.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Depends on the kid.

My littlest one was on a power wheels at 18 months, a faster power wheels at 3 (learned how to avoid the juniper bushes and other obstacles in the yard [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) . Meanwhile he was riding with me on my blaster, then my 400. He moved up to an ATC 70 at 4, and is now on a trx 90 at 6. I have pics of him jumping at Florence (almost 6 1/2)

The girls on the other hand, we started them off with a little bigger quads since they were older before they wanted to ride but they wanted smaller bikes so we gulped and spent the $ on a couple of LT80s.

The 14 year old started on a dirtbike at 9 or 10, then switched to quads a year and a half later.

The 15 year old can take it or leave it.

So, it just depends on the kid. You as a parent do what you think is right and safe and take it from there.

btw, Bombers little 4 yo grandson on the 50 just trucks across the sand dunes - he is a hoot to watch - we watched him pick his line out there at Florence - a real natural.

Old 11-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

I got a battery operated one when my kid turned 4 then a year later he outgrew it a bit but still loves to play with it in the yard. last month I got him a klx 110 dirt bike that he is learning on now. he is not tall enough yet but he can ride it around the yard. I ride it with him until i feel hes confident on controlling all aspects of the bike. Its limited all the way and still goes around 20mph. With the limiters off stock it goes 35mph so he can grow into that bike for years.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

Go right to a 90 to 110 cc quad. You'll be waisting money purchasing a 50cc because in less then a couple of months the older child will want to go bigger to keep up with the other kids the same age. Been there done that....