CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lights for night riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights for night riding

Thanks for the info AZ...

I do already know about the +s of HIDs as I've had them on my Bomb for a couple years (then it was stolen)... and on my XR650 bike for 5 yrs. However, the part of cost against being an avid night rider is something I'm not thinking about. I rarely ride at night in the dunes... (being I drink a cocktail or two at night)... however, when I do... it's usually at damaging speeds. And also, at times in Mexico (Baja) I'm caught with my pants down (in a bad situation and it's now dark... on a lonely trail, and with little light or no HIDs).

The cost is a CONSIDERABLE jump in price for anyone.
However, it's how you weight that cost. Even if I'm not considered and avid night rider anymore... It's the warm and fuzzy feeling that IF I ever need them, they're there for me. That's a large cost for a warm and fuzzy. (this all relating to AMOUNT of light... not cost per lumen)

I agree with you on quality. Philips, Hella and a couple others make nice Ballasts/Igniters. The knock off no-name brands work... but aren't too trustworthy. I do have to admit, that I've had similar problems with 'name' brands too... especially after being submerged or after a heavy rain. I'd rather pay the cheaper cost... and carry a spare in the tool box. It's same/same for me speaking from experience with HID ballasts. Like I've said before... if your using HIDs and worrying about whether your ballast/igniter will last for a Baja1000 race... you shouldn't be using HIDs... you should be using Halogen (in my opinion).

Also... I was using HIDStore's lights on the old DS... I know of his customer service as well. It's awesome. (One of my 3.5" off-road lights went bad... and he replaced it... AND added a new lense since my other was so sand blasted!).

...thanks for your feedback.