CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outy 800XT or 06 Rincon 680

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outy 800XT or 06 Rincon 680

OK I am going to be buying 1 and maybe 2 new quads just after the first of the year. I have decided that I want IRS for comfortable ride but still need sporty handling. I also want EFI I am tired of messing with jetting. Some of the places we ride can start at about 4500 or 5000 ft and rise to above 10,000 ft. I will be posting this same thread on the Bomb forum too.
I have owned a P700 and presently ride KFX700. I like power just looking for a more comfort too.
I don't want a machine that breaks down or has lots of problems. I have heard of a stalling problem on the Rincon, but not much else and don't know how common that problem might be.
I have heard of problems with gauges and having to restart the 800 when shifting between 2x4 and 4x4. Also heard some might have problems with the shocks again I don't know how common this is.
My wife will ride this quad a lot so I am concerned about how they handle and if the power hits really abrupt does the front end raise too much and try to come over backwards when climbing steep hills. Also how they feel on the trail, my wife felt like the P700 was kind of hard to stear and big for her.
If I buy the Rincon I will be adding a winch, the 800XT comes with one.
Depending on how bad a beating I will have to take selling my VForce, I will for sure buy 1 and if I can sell the V for a decent price will be getting 2. So you can see I am probably going to spend a lot of money and I am looking for real information from people who ride or have rode or ride with people who own these two machines. I don't want a flame contest between the machine loyal, just good info and opinions.
I might also consider the Suzuki KQ700. I don't really care for the Polaris EFI's just me but didn't like the Polaris machines I rode.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider

Up until two years ago, I have only owned Polaris utility atv's. And I had a couple of Honda 250R's back in the eighties. I have owned two Rincons for the last two years. I just recently traded one of them in on a 2006 Outlander 800. I loved the Rincons and had absolutely no problem with either of them. I rode in steep nasty dangerous rutted out not made for quads trails right with guys with their Polaris machines and had no trouble crawling through anything they could crawl through. When we'd hit a logging road it was See you later Polaris as the lighter more nimble Rincon turns so much better than the Sportsman machines I rode with. Also, you don't have to keep stopping to go from low range to high range to low range to high range.

Enter the King Quad. Then my father bought a new 2005 King Quad. It was faster than my Rincons right from the line clear to top end. Not tremendously so, but it was faster. It also handled better than those Sportsmans, being a lighter machine like the Rincon. In my opinion the Rincon handled better than his King Quad, but then opinions vary. Suffice to say, the King Quad was at least in the same ballpark with the Rincon as far as handling goes. I was content to just keep my Rincons and go ahead and take the occasional drag race beating my father handed me, because I don't spend all that much time drag racing anyway. I like riding on trails, or where there is no trail for that matter, and in those instances the King Quad really had nothing over the Rincon.

Then my father rode an Outlander. He has a friend who owns a dealership in north Idaho, and he got to ride one of the new 800's. He traded in his King Quad on one and then we went riding. I got to ride the Outlander, and now I own one. Is it as well built as the Honda? Only time will tell. Will it handle as well as the Honda? Many reports say it does, but I did not get to ride it enough to say for sure. I can tell you that acceleration is downright exciting. The Outlander will put the front end in the air so fast, without ever pulling back on the bars, that you'd better be a good rider or you may just get hurt. If you are a good rider, be prepared to have fun. This thing pulls, HARD, right on past where the Rincon has run out of top end power. The Rincon will do about 57 to 60mph. But it does not do it with authority. You have to look down at the speedometer to see if you are actually still gaining speed once you reach about 45 or 50. The King Quad is some better, but not a lot. The Outlander is a lot, lot stronger than the other two.

Having said all that, the NEW Rincon does have more power than the previous models due to more cc's, and efi. It is no slouch. It also says Honda on it which means it most likely will not leave you walking, and will resell better than average. The Honda is made well and it shows. Just compare suspensions, Rincon versus any other, and you will see just by standing back and looking that the Honda has a very refined well engineered suspension. Fit and finish is top notch on a Honda. The Rincon tranny is awesome. I like shifting it manually. You do not have to let off the throttle to shift it, and you can downshift coming hot into corners to start the rear end sliding. Think of it as a hotrod with a turbo350 tranny with a shiftkit in it and you get the idea. It's not a farm implement made for towing trailers full of cow crap across the field. If that is what you want to do, don't get the Rincon.

I will also tell you that I gave SERIOUS thought to buying the new Sportsman 800. It is an awesome machine, but heavy. I don't like heavy, I'm not plowing fields, or hauling the above mention'd trailer.

It's a tough choice isn't it?

Old 12-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

JayDeeCoy, Thanks for the reply it sounds like the Rincon is perfect for my wife if I don't trade or sell my VForce. And sounds like maybe I will get the 800 if I do sell it for me. That is why I needed to check with people. I will ride both before I buy but it will just be in a dirt lot sometimes hard to get much feel for anything except how fast it can leave the line. It is good to hear from someone who owns both.
I am thinking the Rincon for my wife; That way she has a good machine with enough power but shouldn't be too much for her. And if we buy 2 I will get the 800 for me should help keep me from feeling like I need more power. (at least for a few weeks)

Old 12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

800 sportsman !!!!

Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

JayDeeCoy,

I too am considering an '06 Rincon, KQ, and maybe a BF650I. I would like to consider the Bomb 800, I really would but I just can't justify that much money on my first quad! When I had a waverunner it was $5300 otd for the machine, trailer, cover....I can't get up in the mid 8's on my first one.....trying to stay at 7k or a little below.

I really want to consider an '06 Rincon big time, especially until everything settles on the KQ's air filter issues that many are having. I can put up with it being a 680cc that probably should compete in the 500cc class. I love what I hear about the ride, reliability, efi, irs, no belt....... from mid to aggressive riders though....is the 3 speeds kind of restricting and also no locker and engine braking? I don't know if I can get past that?!?!?!? You said that you go down steep hills with just the brakes and it is fine......how fine is fine? Ever had a dangerous situation on it compared to friends that may be on a different quad using their engine braking to its max next to you?

I too will not be working with mine and comfort is key as well as getting through almost anything I want to get into. I want to consider the Rincon but I just don't want to regret it for the lack of engine braking, hp compare to others with close cc's, lack of a locker.......I just don't know.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

Stocks; If you are considering mudding, and I mean snorkel'd up, giant tires type mudding, then the Rincon would need to have the detroit gearless locker installed. Highlifter sells them for around $300. There are several guys over on the rincon owners forum that have them, and they swear by them. It makes the steering a little harder when in 4wd though.

Let me tell you about the famous Polaris engine braking,,,,it only slows the rear wheels. My buddy has a heck of a time coming down truly steep, loose hills because his rear wheels are always skidding, which tend to make the quad turn sideways. Very not good! He finally started using high range to get the engine braking to not be so unmanageable, and uses the brakes instead. When the Rincon is in 4wd, the braking action affects all four wheels, and so the rincon is quite manageable. You can apply brake pressure with your foot, or one hand, or both hands, or one hand and your foot,,,etc.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

JDC,

yeah no Polaris for me, not even considering it. On the Rincon you said in 4wheel drive one lever stops all four tires? Isn't that the way Polaris has their braking system set up at all times?

On the mudding issue....neh I don't think I would need to go and buy a Detroit locker.....I just thought it would be nice to have a stock locker. Although I don't plan on deep mud...I just want to be able to get in a foot or so and not have a problem.....many have said that they aren't big mudders either (I will not be) but that they have used the locker and are glad they had it.

Wish there was an etv with everything I mentioned, features, ride, irs, efi, power, great ride....and an otd price of 7k or below. Seems like the '06 Rincon, KQ.......everyone has 1 or 2 things you have to give up! KQ...had it all but I want to see how the air filter deal plays out.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Bombardier will have a EFI 650 outlander available soon, in late Feb or Early March I have been told.

The KQ would be a good second choice.

You will want to have a low range and some type of locking differential.

I don't think Honda has either.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Rincon and an Outlander 330.....obvious power difference but in terms of comfort the Rincon is slightly more comfortable. The major differences have been stated here, no 4WD lock and no low gear, engine braking is a bit weaker but the new 06 is supposed to be improved. The stalling issue (at least for me) is only a problem until the quad gets warmed up, this seems to be common with Honda, I had a streetbike that did the EXACT same thing until warmed up.

I guess it would boil down to the riders preference. Do you need those other three features? I have probably only used low on my outlander a couple of times towing a trailer but not on any trails. BRP has put a little more thought into the Outlander and it features a unique IRS system and Visco loc 4WD which from the research I've done is tops in the industry.

IMO I'd wait to get the 650 Oulander, probably about the same price as the Rincon but you get more of a machine. Both the 650 and 800 are new engine designs so there is no real history in terms of problems. I believe they have fixed the shock problem in the front and there was a recall for a transmission problem.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

I too am considering purchasing a Bombardier. I was first thinking the 400 then I just got on their site and saw the 650 EFI XT which I was going to start a post asking what everyone thought about those 2. I did not realize the 650 was not out yet. That stinks. I am afraid the 800 will be too much power for me? I am selling my Prarie 360 to make this happen. Does anyone know how the Prarie 360 compares to the Bombardier 400. Any help would be much appreciated. I mostly do trail riding. I need to be able to climb rocky or snowy hills and also coal hills. I also would like to be able to have fun on it if at all possible like I do on my sport bike. Although I will be keeping the sport so I guess that is not too much an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Outy 800XT or 06 Rincon 680